• Just fish
    • Fish and shoot
    • Fish and hunt
    • Fish, shoot and hunt

• Replies 459
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wordbender you obviously know much more than me about vermin control , fieldcraft etc as I've only been involved in Fieldsports since as long as I can remember and my first job was a keeper.

By the way............F**k the antis !!!!! ............and I don't mean your real Auntie, that would be line breeding I'm afraid :o

I was claiming nothing of the sort, Tigger, although, if we're comparing credentials, I was born into a hunting family and I've been involved in fieldsports all my 52 years. I've also been involved in pest control for over 15 years (8 years as the main training officer for Rentokil) and I've worked in the shooting industry for over 20 years. I've been field target air rifle champion of the UK, Europe and the U.S., and some other stuff.

All of that means nothing, though. What counts is that we have a sport to enjoy - and shooting people's pets is certainly one of the quickest ways for us to lose it. As for 'F**k the antis', well, that's another fine way to offload our sport. We may not like it, but the fact is, 'the antis' can hurt us a hell of a lot more than we can hurt them, and the worst thing we can do is present ourselves as a group of people who declare 'As for shooting Cats, I'm not joking ..........there the biggest vermin problem in the country.....kill em all !!! '

Seriously, I'm not looking for an argument, but that sort of statement just does our enemies' work for them.

And on the eighth day God created carp fishing...and he saw that it was pukka.

Don't worry Tigger, I don't take you too seriously... obviously no balanced person would ever seriously advocate shooting pets ;)

Still, it took 35 pages to get to shooting cats, that's not bad :rolleyes: Another 10 and we'll get to shooting immigrants B)

I had briefly changed my mind about the whole hunting/shooting thing, having learned quite a lot over the course of this topic. But this has taken me back to my previous position that people shoot animals because they enjoy it, for whatever reason. I can't reconcile that with my fishing. I'm not motivated by the same 'hunting instinct', I'm sure of that now. Others feel differently, that's fine.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Don't worry Tigger, I don't take you too seriously... obviously no balanced person would ever seriously advocate shooting pets ;)

Still, it took 35 pages to get to shooting cats, that's not bad :rolleyes: Another 10 and we'll get to shooting immigrants B)

I had briefly changed my mind about the whole hunting/shooting thing, having learned quite a lot over the course of this topic. But this has taken me back to my previous position that people shoot animals because they enjoy it, for whatever reason. I can't reconcile that with my fishing. I'm not motivated by the same 'hunting instinct', I'm sure of that now. Others feel differently, that's fine.

{personal insult removed. Newt}

By the way since it's illegal to shoot feral Cats I think I will start running them over in my car instead as by LAW you don't even need to stop as there not classed as being worth stopping for to scape up off the Tarmack :lol::lol::P

Edited by Newt

Tigger - behave :o

I would never condone the shooting of cats but agree completely with Tigger about the damage that little Tiddles can do whilst their "animal lover" owners smile and say "isn't he clever"

Given the UK is home to at least 10,000,000 cats that is an awful lot of predators roaming the streets. Normally there would be insufficient prey to support that many predators, but most of them are being fed by their doting owners so we have a predator density that is much higher than would be found in a "natural" situation.

If each cat kills on average one songbird a fortnight (most will kill many more than that) then that means that little Tiddles and his mates are responsible for the death of some 260,000,000 protected songbirds in the UK each year.

Puts us hunters and shooters to shame.

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

Tigger - behave :o

I would never condone the shooting of cats but agree completely with Tigger about the damage that little Tiddles can do whilst their "animal lover" owners smile and say "isn't he clever"

Given the UK is home to at least 10,000,000 cats that is an awful lot of predators roaming the streets. Normally there would be insufficient prey to support that many predators, but most of them are being fed by their doting owners so we have a predator density that is much higher than would be found in a "natural" situation.

If each cat kills on average one songbird a fortnight (most will kill many more than that) then that means that little Tiddles and his mates are responsible for the death of some 260,000,000 protected songbirds in the UK each year.

Puts us hunters and shooters to shame.

Not a huge fan of moggies myself but the RSPB reckon it's more like 55 million birds, and that there is no scientific evidence that supports the notion that predation by cats is in anyway responsible for any decline in wild bird populations.

http://www.rspb.org.uk/advice/gardening/un...irddeclines.asp

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

Not a huge fan of moggies myself but the RSPB reckon it's more like 55 million birds, and that there is no scientific evidence that supports the notion that predation by cats is in anyway responsible for any decline in wild bird populations.

http://www.rspb.org.uk/advice/gardening/un...irddeclines.asp

I'm afraid the RSPB person who's come up with that absolute nonsense must be a cat lover.

What about all the frogs,Toads, Newts, Voles, Shrews, Lizards, butterflies, Etc etc and all the fledgling birds with nothing wrong with them which are simply killed for pleasure by cats ?

I'm afraid the RSPB person who's come up with that absolute nonsense must be a cat lover.

What about all the frogs,Toads, Newts, Voles, Shrews, Lizards, butterflies, Etc etc and all the fledgling birds with nothing wrong with them which are simply killed for pleasure by cats ?

Your just a cat hater Tigger, what about some evidence for a change, rather than just what you think or what you believe.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

I don't go along with the RSPB either. That would mean the cat kill averages out at 5.5 a year per cat. I think that is much too low.

Interestingly their total annual kill was 275,000,000, I believe that a larger proportion is made up of protected species of bird.

The other factor is that due to changes in farming practice a lot of birds that would not normally come into contact with cats are moving into Urban and Suburban garden environments as hedgerows are disappearing and being replaced by bushes and shrubs in gardens.

Even at the figures that the RSPB quote that is still a shedload of dead animals and birds condoned and approved of by "animal lovers" who are probably anti-fieldsports.

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/