Anderoo

Hunting, shooting and fishing  

151 members have voted

1. 1. Do you actively:

• Just fish
    • Fish and shoot
    • Fish and hunt
    • Fish, shoot and hunt

The thing that is funny to me Tigger is that you claim to be a country person, not a pavement pounder, but you seem to be ignorant of why this is so.

I don't claim to be anything Cory think of me whatever way you want B)

• Replies 459
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally, I like cats. I didn't used to, but my wife wanted them and they've grown on me. Perhaps I have toxoplasmosis ;) To my knowledge, this year they have killed a slow worm, a blackbird, two rats, a couple of shrews and some voles. I'd rather they hadn't killed the blackbird or the slow worm, but the others I'll not lose too much sleep about. I dare say they killed a few other things and discretely ate them, but they're well fed and have bells on their collars, which minimises the casualties. We could just keep them indoors and never let them out, I suppose, but in my opinion that's as wrong as having a dog and never walking it or keeping birds in cages.

Irrespective of my own feelings, I do know that when we had a kitten which died, my wife was inconsolable, and that I would take it extremely badly if someone deliberately upset her that much by hurting one of her animals.

If you/people don't like to keep their pet cats under control and they get run over or go missing then that's the price they pay. Slow worm are very rare now so you've just proved my point, having cats roaming is irresponsible.

Yes some cats are totally muderous! my female one especially!

I think Steve W's post sums it up for me though.There is no way that itsright to have "house cats" mine comes and goes as she pleases and Im fine with that.If her "natural" life style means that one day she gets killed on the road then Im prepared to accept that....Im not prepared to accept it if its done on purpose,or shes shot with an air rifle etc.

It strikes me as strange how man can decide if and whats ok for him to kill for fun but a cat hasnt got that right!

Maybe "mad cat women" have got it right as they are certainly better company than most humans! And I think I would rather die from catching toxmosis ( or what ever its called) from the sh1te cats do than listen to the sh1te that some on here come out with.

Im sure pukka hunters,airgunners on here have shuddered as deeply at some of the comments made as I do when I read about braid for pike,no uptraces ,cutting the line etc! Thing is all of these fishing horrors would mean nothing to Joe Public but I reckon most would soon be signing up for any anti gun (especially airgun) campaign going the way "innapropriate" killing has been mentioned!

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Slow worms are nationally rare but locally abundant. There are loads of them in my garden. There were when we moved in, there still are now.

Bottom line is that it's legal and accepted practice in this country to keep cats and allow them outside. Personally, I could do without the noise from the neighbour's dogs and getting covered in dog and horse sh!t kicked up by the wheels of my bicycle. But I accept that the cost of living in a tolerant society is to tolerate others, so I just accept it as the price I have to pay in order to have others tolerate sharing the country with my own way of life. Live and let live.

Slow worms are nationally rare but locally abundant. There are loads of them in my garden. There were when we moved in, there still are now.

Bottom line is that it's legal and accepted practice in this country to keep cats and allow them outside. Personally, I could do without the noise from the neighbour's dogs and getting covered in dog and horse sh!t kicked up by the wheels of my bicycle. But I accept that the cost of living in a tolerant society is to tolerate others, so I just accept it as the price I have to pay in order to have others tolerate sharing the country with my own way of life. Live and let live.

Well to me Steve you and Budgie along with everyone else who have pet cats and allow them to go out every day/night killing all the wildlife off indiscriminantly and claiming to be nature lovers are total hypocrites. If it's ok for your cats to do it then leave all the other vermine alone also as it's their instincts to hunt as well, that includes rats as they hunt/kill.

You might as well just go round throwing poison all over the place and let nature take it course :rolleyes:

You guys have just about nailed my point home.

Regarding dog and horse mess Steve be thankfull you can see it and unlke cats they don't bury it in your private garden, spray your washing and expensive plants with obnoxious cent.

Unfortunatly cat owners just brand someone like me as a cat hater which is untrue I just see things as they are and to own a cat and allow it to destroy what precious little wildlife we have because they can't be arsed to keep their cats under control is disgusting. No way can they be animal lovers, just lazy cat owners. :)

Edited by tigger

I dont understand why Im a hypocrite? I love nature and to a degree letting nature get on with it! I let you hunt and kill even though iots not my choice to do so and I afford my cat the same right!

I don't see any hypocrisy. I don't see any difference in a cat killing voles and a dog taking a rabbit while being exercised, and I have no problem with either. I wouldn't deliberately set my cat on something for the fun of watching it kill, and within reason I do what I can to reduce the changes of it killing anything. If I see them stalking birds, I scare them away. They are fitted with bells. They are only allowed out in daylight. The compromise is with the welfare of the cat, and I am not willing to cruelly keep the cat indoors. Which, by the way, would be the easier (lazier) option.

Maybe if I were an animal rights advocate, you'd have a fair point, but I'm not, and I don't think Budgie is either.

Maybe if I were an animal rights advocate, you'd have a fair point, but I'm not, and I don't think Budgie is either.

No your right Steve Im more of a "Human wrongs" guy than an "annimal rights" :rolleyes:

I still want to know what I should do as a "responsible" cat owner.Mind you I dont really think of myself as "owning" the cat.She just comes and goes and shares the occaisional bed and meal with me.........bit like my girlfriend I suppose! (erm like my girlfriend does that is not that I think of the cat as my girlfriend) Cats far more reliable!