Pub landlord gives 2 fingers to the smoking ban

mr motorola

Do you agree with the new ban?  

62 members have voted

1. 1. Smoking or Non-smoking? If the pubs / clubs and bingo hall managers had the choice of Smoking or Non-Smoking for their estasblishment , what would the majority vote be?

• Smoking allowed
    • No Smoking allowed

I'm a smoker, but I've not found this ban to be too much of a problem. When we go out for meals, we always choose a non-smoking table. It's not nice breathing in smoke when you're eating. It would be nice to sit and relax with a cigarette afterwards, but I'm not so desperate that I can't wait until I get outside.

Having said that, it also means that we don't frequent the pub as much as we used to. We used to go for a couple of pints in the evening, relax and have a game of dominoes or backgammon. Sometimes the couple of pints would stretch to several...now we just go home after one.

Janet

I can wholeheartedly agree you there Janet. Breathing the smoke whilst eating isn't very nice at all.

Most if not all of my towns pubs / clubs don't serve food anyway so the ban is taking a bit of a strangle hold on the place. (11 in total)

Oh theres one that serves food and it's shut every afternoon except Bank Holidays.

Fishing is fishing , Life is life , but life wouldn't be very enjoyable without fishing................ Mr M 12:03 / 19-3-2009

• Replies 546
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

He was a good man, a committee man for his club and a life long angler, he started more kids fishing than I've had hot dinners. I have the unenviable job tomorrow of going through his fishing tackle and trying to work out what's worth selling and what isn't, I'm not looking foward to it, and will probably just tell my Auntie it's worth X amount, give her a cheque and stick it in the garage, the thought of reducing his passion to an amount of money isn't something I want to do! That's not the point here though, but one thing I love about AN is that threads about random things can result in people like me giving their friends and family a strange kind of memorial!

All the best for tomorrow Jeepster . I've got a lump in my throat thinking about what you've got to do , i had to do the same with my dads fishing gear 4 years ago and it brought back 1000's of memories i can tell you. For what it's worth.......i kept the lot and still use much of his gear to date.........caught plenty with it too!!!!!

Fishing is fishing , Life is life , but life wouldn't be very enjoyable without fishing................ Mr M 12:03 / 19-3-2009

Mr M, in 5 or 10 years time I can see there being fewer pubs and clubs around than there are now, the trade will eventually adjust to cater for the reduced amount of regulars (and let's face it, it's the regulars that keep pubs in business, not the transient customers). It will not have a large affect on the number of smokers though, they will still enjoy their vice just as they always have.

Jeeps, I know what you mean about post-ban pubs being joyless, that's (obviously) because the regulars who smoke are either outside or at home.

Another affect of the smoking ban is, with no smoke in the pubs, you actually realise that some people smell!

Incidentally, my father recovered from cancer just a few years ago (and hopefully it will not come back - sorry to hear about your uncle btw) but he never smoked in his life. Okay, he went to clubs and pubs where there was a lot of smoke about, but you don't get cancer of the bladder from smoking. Yet every day we get the message 'smoking = cancer' rammed down our throats. Well, there's plenty of other things out there that cause cancer - caramalised food (meat that has been seared; toast etc), oxygen, living in an area with granite as a bedrock....

[added later] this is a popular topic, 5 posts in the time it took me to write this one! Jeeps, I agree with Mr M, keep your uncle's fishing tackle and use it yourself. The alternative is someone else buying it without knowing the history behind it. It will mean much more to you, and you will get more pleasure from catching with it than anyone else will.

Edited by John S

John S

Quanti Canicula Ille In Fenestra

Species caught in 2017 Common Ash, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, White Willow.

Species caught in 2016: Alder, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Crab Apple, Left Earlobe, Pedunculate Oak, Rock Whitebeam, Scots Pine, Smooth-leaved Elm, Swan, Wayfaring tree.

Species caught in 2015: Ash, Bird Cherry, Black-Headed Gull, Common Hazel, Common Whitebeam, Elder, Field Maple, Gorse, Puma, Sessile Oak, White Willow.

Species caught in 2014: Big Angry Man's Ear, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Common Whitebeam, Downy Birch, European Beech, European Holly, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, Wych Elm.
Species caught in 2013: Beech, Elder, Hawthorn, Oak, Right Earlobe, Scots Pine.

Species caught in 2012: Ash, Aspen, Beech, Big Nasty Stinging Nettle, Birch, Copper Beech, Grey Willow, Holly, Hazel, Oak, Wasp Nest (that was a really bad day), White Poplar.
Species caught in 2011: Blackthorn, Crab Apple, Elder, Fir, Hawthorn, Horse Chestnut, Oak, Passing Dog, Rowan, Sycamore, Willow.
Species caught in 2010: Ash, Beech, Birch, Elder, Elm, Gorse, Mullberry, Oak, Poplar, Rowan, Sloe, Willow, Yew.

When we go out for meals, we always choose a non-smoking table. It's not nice breathing in smoke when you're eating.

That is fair enough Janet, I don't like smoking when there are people eating, even though I wouldn't object if the situation was reversed.

In one of the pubs I go to in town, you can eat either in the restaurant upstairs or in the bar. If I've been sat at a long table and someone sat next to me has ordered a meal, I know I have time for another ciggy before it arrives and will reasure them that I will not be smoking whilst they are eating. Without exception, they have said that they do not mind if I smoke when their food arrives.

Like I said earlier, the noisy minority have won :angry:

John S

Species caught in 2016: Alder, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Crab Apple, Left Earlobe, Pedunculate Oak, Rock Whitebeam, Scots Pine, Smooth-leaved Elm, Swan, Wayfaring tree.

Species caught in 2015: Ash, Bird Cherry, Black-Headed Gull, Common Hazel, Common Whitebeam, Elder, Field Maple, Gorse, Puma, Sessile Oak, White Willow.

Species caught in 2014: Big Angry Man's Ear, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Common Whitebeam, Downy Birch, European Beech, European Holly, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, Wych Elm.

Species caught in 2012: Ash, Aspen, Beech, Big Nasty Stinging Nettle, Birch, Copper Beech, Grey Willow, Holly, Hazel, Oak, Wasp Nest (that was a really bad day), White Poplar.
Species caught in 2011: Blackthorn, Crab Apple, Elder, Fir, Hawthorn, Horse Chestnut, Oak, Passing Dog, Rowan, Sycamore, Willow.
Species caught in 2010: Ash, Beech, Birch, Elder, Elm, Gorse, Mullberry, Oak, Poplar, Rowan, Sloe, Willow, Yew.

By the way, in the pub that I mentioned in my last post, this is the last customer that complained about the smoke.... :D

YOWHSkull.jpg

John S

Guest Brumagem Phil

An interesting discussion. In 16 days it will be 5 years since i gave up my 60 a day habit which last 20 years so maybe I can offer some input from someone who has experienced both sides of the situation. Its late and I'm busy again tomorrow so a few quick bullet points......

1. non smokers are the majority and hence in a democracy, they win, simple as that. All this talk of minorities is rubbish.

2. I'm not one of THOSE ex-smokers, I truly sympathise with those still smoking and don't ram my point of view down peoples throats 24/7

3. noting point 2, smoking is nothing more than drug addiction (those smokers who think otherwise should have heard me protesting the 'joys' of smoking before i quit!!!!!), and its good that smoking is slowly being treated as the anti social habit it actually is.

4. the loss in tax revenues will (in time) be replacesd by huge savings to the NHS. Short term there is of course a hole which will br filled one way or another.

5. even as a smoker it irritated me if someone lit up while i was eating and I was conscious of that when I had finished eating to too if others were still eating. Oddly, its that ciggy once I quit that i thought i'd miss the most but it wasn't.

6. Not gonna nag or wag the finger at anyone, but face facts, smoking is drug addiction and costs money and lives......don't be the last rat left on the sinking ship.

Phil (thanks to allen carr(may he rest in peace), a happy non-smoker of almost 5 years)

Edited by Brumagem Phil

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/west_yo...ire/7180097.stm

Good on the man. He has my full backing. With the modern rantings about 'rights' , why should smokers have their rights violated and be forced out onto the street and look like leppers?

I actually saw the above on our local / regional news (Look North) and a NON-SMOKER agreed with the idea of the landlord.

What actually IS the bigger picture to this law? Is it the health & safety exec flexing it's new found muscles?

Anyhoo , good on the landlord , lets have more like him.

Qiute Right Mr M and lets open a shooting Gallery for Heroin addicts next door as all addicts should be given the same fare Crack of the whip.In actaul fact why not shoot up in the same place! As at least someones heroin addiction wont kill me unlike someones passive smoke. Why would any one think that thier right to damage someone elses health is second to there right to smoke. If any other example of this type of selfishness existed you would be the first person have ago Mr m;) :lol:

I am one of those Ex smokers Im afraid :whistling:

Jeepster Good luck mate keep your chin up!

Edited by five bellies

Someone once said to me "Dont worry It could be worse." So I didn't, and It was!

انا آكل كل الفطائر

I made a vow today, to never again argue with an Idiot they have more expieriance at it than I so I always seem to lose!

Where I live, the smoking ban has made no difference to the number of customers whatsoever, except for the stinking people lining up on the street outside. Last week, when there was a band on, I had to leave one pub because I simply couldn't get o the bar. If pubs are closing it is because they are bad pubs and can't keep their beer - simple as that.

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.

I've been frequenting pubs longer than most of you, and remember them as the hub of (male) village life. Women never entered them, except for Big Lizzie, who would come in at nine o'clock of a Friday night to drag her husband home whilst he was still one quarter sober and had some money left in his pocket.

They were a world of sawdust, spittoons, betting slips, a rich fug from proper ciggies (not yer nancy cork tips), old and mild, with a background of keenly contested darts, skittles, dominoes and cribbage games. Old Stib sat in the corner with pewter tankard and clay pipe. Buzz of village gossip and politics. Unofficial selection meetings to pick local darts, football, cricket and bowls teams. Ditto to pick National football and cricket sides. Oh, and the odd fist fight when the discussions got a bit personal.

I've seen bans on spitting, betting slips and smoking come in. - How long before a ban on drinking I wonder?

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...