Fluoro Pinkies

The Flying Tench

The few times I have fished with pinkies have been when it's very cold and I can't get bites on maggot. But normally it's the opposite. Maggots are attracting too many tiddlers, and my assumption at least has been that pinkies, being smaller, would be worse.

But there's an article in the 21 Jan Angling Times recommending fluoro pinkies and groundbait as against bread for quality roach when the water is coloured and there is some flow. The particular location was the Welland at Spalding. It surprised me. Surely, in coloured water, don't you want a big, visible bait? Doesn't that mean bread flake? Though I can see that smelly additives might help.

So am I missing a trick. Do you find pinkies a good bait, and when?

john clarke

Never used pinkies but have picked up some good fish using "Disco's" These are like "Mixed" but include Blue, Green & Orange (pick these out for the hook) maggots among the usual white red, yellow, bronze etc.

They're not always readily available in the shops in my experience but well worth a bash if you can find them!!

Edited by Martin56

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!

45 minutes ago, Tigger said:

I never use anything other than ordinary white and red maggots.  I won't use brones because of the dye they use to colour them. 

They don't use Chrysodine anymore to dye Bronze maggots Ian, it was banned years ago (or so I thought) for being carcinogenic.

Although I've read just now that it's still around so better safe!!

I thought it was an Illegal substance now, but seems it's just merely frowned upon!!

Can't say I've "Broke Any Pots" using bronze maggots anyway!!

Edited by Martin56

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!

They still use it in my local angling shop.  The chrysodine comes in a tin and reminds me of iron filings in appearance.  I watched them add it to white maggots and shake them about.  If the dye comes of on your fingers then it hasn't been ingested by them, it will have been put onto them.  

I've read it somewhere that even the dye fed to red maggots etc is nasty and you can't avoid getting it on your hands when hooking them, although it does come off easy enough.  It always worries me when the hook gets pulled into my finger or hand and I have maggots still on it!

All

I thought I'd throw this one in since you're coming under the spell if it's new it must be good.

Maggots are not as popular on this side of the pond.  Berkley Powerbaits (maggots) seem to work just fine, of course I've never fished them side by side - the ultimate test.

Joliano Robotic Swimming Fishing Electric Lures 5.12" USB Rechargeable LED Light 4-Segement Wobbler Multi Jointed Swimbaits Hard Lures Fishing Tackle - £ 30 ea - should work a treat with a top end centerpin.

Phone

12 hours ago, Tigger said:

They still use it in my local angling shop.  The chrysodine comes in a tin and reminds me of iron filings in appearance.  I watched them add it to white maggots and shake them about.  If the dye comes of on your fingers then it hasn't been ingested by them, it will have been put onto them.  

I've read it somewhere that even the dye fed to red maggots etc is nasty and you can't avoid getting it on your hands when hooking them, although it does come off easy enough.  It always worries me when the hook gets pulled into my finger or hand and I have maggots still on it!

If the dye is introduced to the maggots after they have left the meat, then it's just dying the skin, and will easily come off on your hands. If it's introduced to the meat while they are still feeding, then the maggot itself is dyed, and there's less chance of having dyed fingers. Annatto paste was smeared onto meat before a 'blow', to produce a yellow/orange colour maggot. 

I'm pretty sure that the chysodine dye that was found to be carcinogenic was banned, but I might be mistaken. I do remember an alternative called, (I think) Kent dye, was used at one time. During my match fishing days, especially on the Trent, when a half gallon of bronze maggots was considered barely enough, we were all stained an orangey yellow. Me being a smoker had nicotine, and the maggot dye on my fingers, and on my moustache, people thought I smoked much more than I did. It took a lot of scrubbing to clean the stuff off my fingers and even then it didn't all come off. I remember some of the good match anglers of the time, eventually getting cancer, especially those who also ran tackle shops. Kenny Kendal, and Jack Watson from Leeds were amongst them.

Having said all that, when I go fishing now, I always get 'half and half' red and bronze, unless I'm wanting to turn my own casters, then it's whites only. I suppose old habits are hard to kick.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Generally I only use red or bronze but occasionally like Martin have had success on coloured, blue or green or whatever they have.

I used to colour whites to bronze using crysodine powder that I bought from Jan Porter. His advice was riddle the mags clean, sprinkle liberally, wet your hands and stir vigorously, more colour, more powder. In my trent days my hands were permanently bronze and often the tip of my nose, and the top of my right ear(disgorger holder). When I changed jobs and couldn't get to the trent as much I gave the powder to my tackle shop. Ages later i was told it was carcinogenic, too late by then.

Only tried pinkies and squats once, absolutely plagued by bleak.

If all else fails, follow the intructions.

I wonder if iodine colours them ,its frickin hard to get it off your skin!

Or thinking about it printer ink refill ink for the same reason!

Probably scouring the maggots for a couple off hours in sharp sand will remove grease etc

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

7 minutes ago, chesters1 said:

I wonder if iodine colours them ,its frickin hard to get it off your skin!

Or thinking about it printer ink refill ink for the same reason!

Probably scouring the maggots for a couple off hours in sharp sand will remove grease etc

Congratulations, I didn't know you'd had a lottery win.???

You can afford printer ink.?

If all else fails, follow the intructions.