Coronavirus

Elton

2 minutes ago, corydoras said:

Dumbo the Elephant would have done better. 
Moon Jae-in did better.
Tsai Ing-wen did better.

They got Dimbo instead!!

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!

1 minute ago, Martin56 said:

They got Dimbo instead!!

I suppose I was a bit too harsh on the old tusker Martin.

• Haha 1

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

I said on here a long time ago that if he could only summon up some warmth and dept we might be able to make a c#nt out of him.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!

15 minutes ago, corydoras said:

I said on here a long time ago that if he could only summon up some warmth and dept we might be able to make a c#nt out of him.

Doubt that very much cory - They have a use!!

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but that word is actually an old Scottish term as a pouch for sharpening stone??

Edited by Martin56

41 minutes ago, Martin56 said:

Doubt that very much cory - They have a use!!

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but that word is actually an old Scottish term as a pouch for sharpening stone??

Never heard that one before Martin.

A cut'n'paste from Wikipedia.

Etymology
The etymology of **** is a matter of debate,[8] but most sources consider the word to have derived from a Germanic word (Proto-Germanic *kuntō, stem *kuntōn-), which appeared as kunta in Old Norse. Scholars are uncertain of the origin of the Proto-Germanic form itself.[9] There are cognates in most Germanic languages, such as the Swedish, Faroese and Nynorsk kunta; West Frisian and Middle Low German kunte; Middle Dutch conte; Dutch kut (****) and kont (butt); Middle Low German kutte; Middle High German kotze ("prostitute"); German kott, and perhaps Old English cot. The etymology of the Proto-Germanic term is disputed. It may have arisen by Grimm's law operating on the Proto-Indo-European root *gen/gon "create, become" seen in gonads, genital, gamete, genetics, gene, or the Proto-Indo-European root *gʷneh₂/guneh₂ "woman" (Greek: gunê, seen in gynaecology). Relationships to similar-sounding words such as the Latin cunnus ("vulva"), and its derivatives French con, Spanish coño, and Portuguese cona, or in Persian kun (کون), have not been conclusively demonstrated. Other Latin words related to cunnus are cuneus ("wedge") and its derivative cunēre ("to fasten with a wedge", (figurative) "to squeeze in"), leading to English words such as cuneiform ("wedge-shaped"). In Middle English, **** appeared with many spellings, such as coynte, cunte and queynte, which did not always reflect the actual pronunciation of the word.

The word in its modern meaning is attested in Middle English. Proverbs of Hendyng, a manuscript from some time before 1325, includes the advice:[10]

Ȝeue þi cunte to cunnig and craue affetir wedding.
(Give your **** wisely and make [your] demands after the wedding.)

It was a Scottish guy who I worked with a few years ago who told me - maybe he'd asked his parents as a young lad & they just made it up?? Like Mams & Dads do when caught on the hop!!

Edited by Martin56
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Martin56 said:

It was a Scottish guy who I worked with a few years ago that told me - maybe he'd asked his parents as a young lad & they just made it up?? Like Mams & Dads do when caught on the hop!!

Someone once told me that it was an old name for a holster that held the whip in the days of stage coaches

Even the french have the word "con", and you can use it in all the ways in French that you can in English.

Your point about them being useful. At sea we used to say that they are useful unless they are syphilitic.

Edited by corydoras

11 minutes ago, corydoras said:

Someone once told me that it was an old name for a holster that held the whip in the days of stage coaches?

Your point about them being useful. At sea we used to say that they are useful unless they are syphilitic.

Unlucky then if it was your turn in the Barrel!! :cry:

Just Joshing mate.

Edited by Martin56

5 minutes ago, Martin56 said:

Unlucky then if it was your turn in the Barrel!! :cry:

Where did you get that old crap from? Most merchant seamen are just normal men, some single, some married with kids who have a thirst for adventure and want to see the world.
Much better than the armed services. Self discipline, loads of freedom and nobody is going to ask you to kill or maim another human being.

I spent nine years at sea and got to put a foot on every continent apart from Antartica. Sadly there is not much of a British Merchant Navy left. We were royally shafted by Maggie after the Falklands Crisis. At the time other European maritime nations started to subsidise their merchant fleet. Maggie refused to do the same for ours so now we do not have one My brother and his mate went down to the Falklands on STUFT boats and after that the were shafted. I left not long after.

It was just a thing from when I started work as an apprentice engineer from the old hands almost 46 years ago.

Old Jokes etc & No offence meant.

I really do appreciate how Merchant Navy Shipping suffered re lives lost trying to feed Britain during WW2 and the rest the MOD won't say!!

Edited by Martin56