Taking up smoking

10 brownie points

Gents.

Before you all start lighting fires in the bottom of disused freezers!!

Large freezers make good containers for the `smokies`. But remember to remove the plastic lining. If you don`t notice a lined freezer overheating, you won`t notice the cyanide that has been infused into the smokies either.

Using an old chest freezer is a good idea, as you can get one for sod all. But just remember all the unhealthy chemicals that are contained in them. That`s why we have a freezer mountain!!

Strip the freezer to just the metal container before you plan inducing anything hot into it, even smoke!

Paul.

We don`t use J`s anymore!!

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Norrie:

Alan,My freezer is full of nice large Swanswater Rainbow trout for you...bring the smoker over in May....  

Could be a problem there Norrie, the smoker is 85cm high and 35cm square, can't see me putting that on a plane, oh and your stove is still outside, I suppose you want me to bring that over as well

:D:D

I smoked some Cod and they were nice

Just had a thought Norrie, when you come over to fix my ceiling you could take the above back with you :P

Alan(nl)

ANMC Founder Member. . www.the-lounge.org.uk/valley/

Well thanks to everyone for all the replies, I guess I could give Salar's tin a go just to get me up and running, but the two dustbins sounds interesting Jeepster and I would appreciate those drawings when you get a chance (oh boy is she not going to be happy with biscuit tins and dustbins all over the back garden bad enough with hooks weights and rods all over the kitchen table).

Jabee I agree with you about the boiled mackerel we were out of Ballycotton in east Cork 2 years ago when the skipper offered us boiled mackerel and we found much to our surprise how lovely it was, we fought over the last few scraps, maybe we were just hungry.

[ 11. February 2004, 02:07 PM: Message edited by: 10 brownie points ]

Alan,I hope you and Sonja are looking after my stove, and havent planted it up or anything like that. Your ceiling shouldnt be a very big problem, we can discuss it in May, over a drink or nine.. :D

In sleep every dog dreams of food,and I, a fisherman,dream of fish..

Theocritis..

For Fantastic rods,and rebuilds. http://www.alba-rods.co.uk/

great advice, I'd read hughes book but didn't fancy trying my chimney, plenty of room next to the woodstore for a smoking room but I'll give the tins a go first.

phil,

JOIN ANMC TODAY

As an afterthought - I now have a posh version of the biscuit tin made by Hardy, bought for me by my loving wife at huge expense, literally the only functional difference (appart from slightly sturdier steel) is that it has metal discs to lay over the sawdust to stop fish drips getting on the smouldering dust and putting it out. If you wanted to make the discs out of another tin, using snips (making sure the metal wasn't painted as this time the metal will be INSIDE the tin), then cut a disc to position over each place where a burner will be underneath - cut them 12cm diameter, then snip out and bend down three or four lugs to make it stand proud of the base of the tin by about 5mm. Then put the dust on the bottom of the tin, then the discs over, then the grill rack, then the fish, then the lid, then yer'in business. Gosh - there's my business idea - sell plans for a smoker! I could be rich!! (Only if you change your name - Ed :D )

East Hampshire Boat Anglers www.boat-angling.co.uk

jabee:

Unless you try freshly caught Mackerel boiled in seawater! MMMMMMMMMM.    :P  

Lobster straight out of the pot into boiling water on the boat is better!!!!!!!!!!!!

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!