Another mass murder

Andrew

One step would be a more censorship on those ultra violent games that many youngsters play.
That's you opinion, but there is little or no empirical evidence linking the playing violent video games to acts of real world violence. Edited by corydoras

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There may be no real evidence of any single cause of these attrocious incidents, maybe it is a consequence of current society throwing away values of old and adopting new ones.

Does it make efforts to prevent young kids being murdered wrong?

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional :-)

There may be no real evidence of any single cause of these attrocious incidents, maybe it is a consequence of current society throwing away values of old and adopting new ones.
What "values of old" are being thrown away?

Does it make efforts to prevent young kids being murdered wrong?
No

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

What "values of old" are being thrown away?

For example, parents deciding what their kids should be participating in at young ages. Or deciding what their kids read on the computer and at what time. And what time they shoud be in, and in bed.

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional :-)

That's you opinion, but there is little or no empirical evidence linking the playing violent video games to acts of real world violence.

my nephew when he was very young used to play my ps2 and i had games like Grand theft auto and other violent games. when he started to get in to it and took over my ps2 i seen what it was doing to him.

when i finally had enough of what i think the games were doing to his little mind (desensitising) we had 2 linen baskets full of toy guns and crappy little BB guns.

the whole lot got thrown in the bin and he is not allowed excessively violent games like gta and saints row (he went around killing hookers)

i dont blame the games it was my fault really as he should have been monitored more closely. learnt my mistake and buy him more games like football which got him interested in football rather than the guns.

As for myself i remember when the first ever gta came out on the ps1! we played it for hours and hours and when i went outside i felt like stealing a car, the thought was in my mind but my decent upbringing got the better of me, plus i didnt know how to hotwire a car :D

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk

In my innocence I thought 'the right to bare arms' was about wearing T-shirts

unsure.gifunsure.gif

:D

Edited by Andrew

"La conclusión es que los insultos sólo perjudican cuando vienen de alguien que respeto". e5006689.gif

“Vescere bracis meis”

Confession time. Playing driving games prior to taking the car out turned me into a total **** on the road. Fortunately the effect was always temporary, but this was as a twenty-something, not just an impressionable kid.

Edit - I know the connection's tenuous, but it goes to show how easy it is to affect ones real-world interactions.

Edited by robtherake

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed."

Andy, Rob, maybe you two are the exception to the rule then, e5006533.gif

"La conclusión es que los insultos sólo perjudican cuando vienen de alguien que respeto". e5006689.gif

“Vescere bracis meis”

Cory,

"but there is little or no empirical evidence linking the playing violent video games to acts of real world violence."

That no longer holds water. There is plenty of empirical evidence. Here's the first one I came across on google.

http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/video-game-violence.htm

For those who want the Cliff Notes version: "Repetition and rewards are primary components of classical conditioning, a proven psychological concept in which behavioral learning takes place as a result of rewarding (or punishing) particular behaviors, the younger the child, the more susceptible they are to this type of "training."

What isn't addressed (especially in the courts) is "who is responsible" for what 79% of all kids do whilst on the computer (GameBoy).

In science, correlation doesn't imply causation. A relationship between virtual aggression and real-life aggression isn't necessarily one of cause and effect. Maybe bullies in real life also enjoy being bullies in virtual life, so they play violent video games?

You cannot deny the "probability or likelyhood can you?

Phone