They're all at it!

Guest stevie cop

Guest stevie cop

Well said Huge Vitae.

I was beginning to wonder whether I ought to seek some sort of phsyciatric help because I seemed to be the only one who's taken Bradshaws' promises with a pinch of salt!

I'm glad there's at least two of us who can see through the bullshit.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Huge_Vitae:

next time you log on to AN, take the trouble to google search your MP's email address.

I would suggest you outline your Political Support and either thank him if he is a Labour MP, at the same time pointing out that more action would equate to more votes and, in the alternate if your MP is amongst the other parties point out that Labour are doing more (if you agree that is)

Here's a handy site for getting details of MP's and their voting records. Also has a search facility that enables you to search say "Bass" or "angling", and see which MPs asked questions on the subject. Goes back as far as 2001.

http://www.theyworkforyou.com/

Chris.

Help predict climate change!

http://climateprediction.net

It seems the so called " Cod Crusaders " are also somewhat cynical about the timing of politicians interest in them.

quote:

Prime Minister branded a 'thoughtless lout'

by Cod Crusaders

TONY Blair has been branded a "thoughtless lout" by Cod Crusaders Carol MacDonald and Morag Ritchie, after he chose to finally recognise their campaign.

The pair have written to the PM on seven occasions in the two years since they took up the cause and have also invited Mr Blair to visit the North-east communities hardest hit by the EU regulations.

However, they received their first 'official' reply from the PM on Wednesday in the form of a letter commenting on their campaign for withdrawal of the UK from the Common Fisheries Policy.

Mr Blair said the government was committed to the future of the fishing industry, but reaffirmed his position that the best option for the UK fleet would be for Britain to remain in the CFP and seek further reform, in particular to decentralise its decision-making.

He stated: "Our commitment to the industry is further shown by the £90 to £100 million we spend on state-funded science, enforcement, grants, administration and market support."

And he added: "Even if it were desirable, withdrawal from the CFP would only be achievable by a complex renegotiation of European Union treaties with other Member States.

"This government does not see any advantage on embarking upon such a renegotiation. Fish do not respect national boundaries and therefore we have to co-operate with those countries who share the fish stocks with us.

"The CFP provides a framework for this, and as a member of the European Union we continue to negotiate improvements in the policy, rather than drastically reduce our influence by withdrawing.

"Crucially, withdrawal from the CFP would not solve the fundamental problem of very low fish stocks and the tough conservation measures required to restore then to healthy levels.

"There is no reason to believe the UK would be better off negotiating on these matters from outside the CFP than from within."

But Mr Blair's response was immediately condemned by Carol and Morag who said he was "out of touch" with the fishing communities which were most at risk if the UK was not taken out of the CFP.

"The Prime Minister is unable to grasp the hardship that will continue to be placed on our communities if we do not come out of the Common Fisheries Policy," said Carol.

"He knows nothing about the

community structure and this is what we are fighting for. He has no idea of the crisis being faced by these communities and businesses on shore.

"This letter confirms what we initially thought; that Mr Blair is no better than a thoughtless lout with no consideration for community life throughout the UK."

The campaigners did receive one glimmer of hope, however, in a letter from Fisheries Minister Ben Bradshaw.

They had raised the issue of discarded fish, and Mr Bradshaw agreed this was one area which needed to be tackled.

In a letter, Mr Bradshaw said the government was currently working with the Scottish Executive and with fishing industry representatives to design a pilot scheme to test alternative management approaches under which fishermen would be encouraged to land all they catch.

"The purpose of this would be to get better information about catches and to test alternative ways of managing TACs on the basis of that information as it becomes available in the year," he said. "This will take a little time to develop, but we aim to get a pilot scheme going this year. The European Commission is also currently planing discarding pilot schemes at the European level this year, so I am sure there is scope to make progress on this issue."

While welcoming the move, Carol said she still remained slightly skeptical adding: "Presumably there will have to be some restrictions and definitions within the categories which these vessels fall into, so we'll just have to wait and see on this one, although it is encouraging news."

A final letter received last week came from Her Majesty The Queen's assistant private secretary Edward Young, acknowledging receipt of the 250,000-name petition which was delivered to Buckingham Palace recently.

Carol said: "Her Majesty obviously cannot take a biased view on this, but we do know that she sympathises with the communities affected."

Help predict climate change!

http://climateprediction.net

Steve Coppolo:

Well said Huge Vitae.

I was beginning to wonder whether I ought to seek some sort of phsyciatric help because I seemed to be the only one who's taken Bradshaws' promises with a pinch of salt!

I'm glad there's at least two of us who can see through the bullshit.

:cool: Make it three. :D

Thats four. Its taken them to the end of two terms of office to discover that angling is the number one participation sport in the UK. Doesnt exactly fill me full of hope for the future.

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'

SIX

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

Supporting ethical angling practices and wise use and conservation of fishery resources!

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

Getting confused by politics!

MY LIST IS LONGER THAN YOURS!

Unfortunately (for some), I am sorry to say that I have three (older than 18) children and a wife(shudder).

So make that ten

"My imaginary friend doesn't like your imaginary friend is no basis for armed conflict...."

Make me 11.

OK, all parties try to outdo their opponents promises, when an election is being fought.

But labour have had enough time to at least try and sort something out? Conservatives had a few long spells in government as well. All they fought for, was as much fish as the british fleet could catch.

The Greens want to stop angling alltogether!

Now. The BNP, there`s a thought. I suppose we`ll be encouraged to fish. As long as we agree to give a good kicking to any illegal staggering out of the surf? :rolleyes:

We don`t use J`s anymore!!

Guest Flybynight

Is this a role call of the conservative voters here? Isn't it the case that we are all massively sceptical of the promises made by those of different political opinions and a little less so of those who we agree with more?

I absolutely hate the Tories with a passion - so naturally I distrust anything they say and can always find good reasons for myself why they must be lying every time I hear one speak. I am struggling slightly with the fact that the Labour party appears to be almost as far to the right as them... :D but that does not make any of the three serious parties more or less likely to do anything about their election promises. I have to be honest with myself and recognise that mostly my perception of their ability/willingness to do anything about fishing issues is just a reflection of previous prejudices.

Just my thoughts of course - and I'm really not trying to cause offence.

FBN