Are PETA right or wrong

corydoras

people got to eat. granted the footage shows a lot of suffering but this is probably footage from companies who dont follow guidelines. lets not forget peta are a bunch of idiots
It seems that anyone who doesn't agree with you are 'just a bunch of idiots'.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It seems that anyone who doesn't agree with you are 'just a bunch of idiots'.

Andy said specifically "Peta" and you morphed it to anyone. That's usually a tactic of someone who has exhausted logical and reasonable arguments.

From some folks, that statement would not be surprising but from you, it really is. Surprising and a little sad.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Andy said specifically "Peta" and you morphed it to anyone. That's usually a tactic of someone who has exhausted logical and reasonable arguments.

From some folks, that statement would not be surprising but from you, it really is. Surprising and a little sad.

But to describe the 'core' of the discussion (PETA) as idiots' is hardly a well thought out response, especially when some members are attempting to describe some of PETA 's work to be beneficial in terms of animal welfare.

It is an interesting subject that if allowed to be discussed on a site like this without prejudice shows AN as a sophisticated forum that tolerates open discussion on all issues.

Perhaps Cory had just watched the second vidio (maybe it has been missed as it is on the end of the page behind his post?) and felt moved to write, it's easy to see how those images might impact upon one that way. I imagine that many of us have seen awful things, I have including the results of human on human torture in real time, but those scenes are especially haunting and terrible.

"Some people hear their inner voices with such clarity that they live by what they hear, such people go crazy, but they become legends"

Some people become aware that mass produced meat isn't always pretty and make an informed personal decision to become a vegetarian. I have no problem with that. what really p's me off is the minority of vegies who feel the need to evangelise or worse take action to impose heir world view on others. PeTA fall firmly into that latter category.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Some people become aware that mass produced meat isn't always pretty and make an informed personal decision to become a vegetarian. I have no problem with that. what really p's me off is the minority of vegies who feel the need to evangelise or worse take action to impose heir world view on others. PeTA fall firmly into that latter category.

The second vidio wasn't about meat, and regarless of their idiology and motives as an organisation, which may be over extreme for many of us they do fill a function.

Edited by Emma two
"Some people hear their inner voices with such clarity that they live by what they hear, such people go crazy, but they become legends"

makes me smile at boot fairs when some old lady is admiring a cat ornament (cant really think of any other use) in a basket ,"it looks just like a real one ,doris" they say ,"thats because it is" i tell them "its chinese people lunch's skins you have there" :rolleyes:

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

The second video wasn't about meat, and regarless of their idiology and motives as an organisation, which may be over extreme for many of us they do full a function.

Ah, yes. I just found the second video. Unpleasant stuff.

I tend to agree that there needs to be a single global voice on such things but PeTA isn't it. While they have an agenda that includes support for terrorism and the banning of companion animals (in addition to banning fishing), they will always be to far out on the fringe to be able the pull together the level of support required to tackle the sort of wanton cruelty shown.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Right let's hit the facts instead of the cr*p.

We are omnivorous apes, just look at chimps and their hunting skills.

I don't know where they got that rubbish from but in the UK animal cruelty like that would have been bounced on decades ago.

Yes there are still battery hens but strict rules apply to their welfare now days and these rules are being tighten continuously.

Those who think beef, pork and lamb are under valued obviously are not meat eaters and have not purchased a joint of meat for decades.

Chickens in the UK (broiler) have strict rules governing the number per area, and the type of food fed.

Pork farmers have now found it is cheaper to rear pigs outside and a better product is produced.

The vast majority of beef comes from small farms where farmers buy at auction calves produced from milking herds where the farmer is not looking to produce his milking stock and crosses his cows with a beef bull. These animals are looked after well, it is against the law to dehorn or castrate these calves now unless it is carried out by a vet. The calves are reared on milk and weaned onto hay and then go out to graze. Some farmer only keep them for nine months and then sell them on to farms who generally keep them on grass until around three years old and then they go to slaughter.

Veal farming is mostly a European thing because the rules governing veal in the UK are so strict it is not viable. The reason the calves are restricted from laying down is to stop them eating bedding, they are only allowed to consume milk. Whilst I am a meat eater veal is off the menu.

Lambs have a shorter life span but at least it is spent outside with mum grazing naturally.

Anyone in the UK caught doing what was shown in that film to animals would be facing a prison sentence and rightly so.

Edited by Ken Davison South Wales

I fish, I catches a few, I lose a few, BUT I enjoys. Anglers Trust PM

eat.gif

http://www.petalsgardencenter.com

Petals Florist

For me, there is a very simple division between the practical and apolitical promotion of animal welfare, with which I agree, and the dogma of animal rights, with which I do not.

PETA is very firmly in the animal rights camp, and I have no truck with them. They may do some incidental good, but then it's said of various dictators that they at least made the trains run on time - they are extremists.

PETA is very good at emotive campaigning, but before placing too much credence in their claims, see what they have to say about fishing and see whether you think they present a truthful and balanced argument about us:

http://www.fishinghurts.com/