Petition to keep the close season on rivers

Peter Waller

Keith Arthur, the Angling Times columnist prides himself on being opinionated and I'm sure that often he antagonises people.

Then again, he doesn't sit on the fence, which is admirable.

In this week's paper he calls for the river fishing season to end on the second Sunday in March and start on the second Saturday in June.

Which this year would have meant finishing on Sunday, March 8 and starting on Saturday, June 13, and next year would mean finishing on Sunday, March 14 and starting on Saturday, June 12. A similar length of time for people to fish and for the fish to have a break, but tying in with most people's habits of fishing at weekends.

I think that there is some sense in this. :) (Retires to bunker with hard hat... :P )

Discuss...

Edited by tiddlertamer

He was an old man who fished alone in a skiff in the Gulf Stream and he had gone eighty-four days without taking a fish. (Hemingway - The old man and the sea)

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, ignorant as I am about most things fishy, I'd like to see a country-wide scientific study of all coarse and game species to see when exactly fish are now spawning in different areas. I'm sure weather trends, along with other environmental issues, have had an impact since 1878. Perhaps then, and only then, could we think about changing the closed season dates?

Edited by Angly

Geoff

That's assuming Geoff that the close season exists purely to protect spawning fish. I observe the season, on rivers and still waters, purely because it's nice to have something to look forward to!

That's assuming Geoff that the close season exists purely to protect spawning fish.

Ah, I'd thought of that, and concluded that even if the closed season exists for some other reason, and only by coincidence does it protect fish-stocks, then the need for a survey is still there.

Geoff

Well, ignorant as I am about most things fishy, I'd like to see a country-wide scientific study of all coarse and game species to see when exactly fish are now spawning in different areas. I'm sure weather trends, along with other environmental issues, have had an impact since 1878. Perhaps then, and only then, could we think about changing the closed season dates?

If we tried to fix a closed season to coincide with the spawning times of every species, we would have the waters closed for most of the year.

The times would alter each year depending on weather conditions, and then there would be geological differences. We could even end up with a longer closed season in some parts of the country than in others.

I like the closed season as it is, not for any scientific reason, more a therapeutic one, both for the angler and the countryside.

It may sound odd to those who are used to newly mown banks, and spacious fishing platforms. But approaching an overgrown swim, through thick vegetation, not knowing what I'll find when I get to the water, brings out the 'adventurous youngster' in me. The feeling of anticipation is often better than the end result, regardless of what I catch.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Do the RSPB have a close season for going out bird watching?

I don't think so. But then we don't have one for fish watching either.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Chris is right about when the close season was introduced, and it had nothing to do with the mayfly hatch :) In those days most fishermen ate the catch, in fact, there were many who made a living from selling the catch. It would seem (according to Bickerdyke) that pike in particular were under serious threat.

So on that basis, it would seem there is no justification in retaining a close season. Pike are pike whether in running or still water, same for all the other coarse fish, and if you are in favour of a close season then you should stop fishing for coarse fish until the season reopens.

Quite a number of posters imply that they will switch to still water..........................................................???

I follow my own rules, I stop piking at the end of Feb until the next October, and I won't fish for spawning carp at any time. There have been occasions when roach fishing that I have started to catch spawn filled Perch, so I stopped and switched to different tactics to avoid the Perch.

I fished for umpteen years with a blanket close season, and switched to trout or sea fishing, but there was definitely a magic about "The 16th" actually there was quite a lot of magic to all my fishing in those days :)

I think that there may be dangers to campaigning for the return of an all round close season, especially if a lot of noise was made about fish needing protection, so it is probably best left as it is.

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

Guest tigger

It seems to me that there are quite a few people who look upon fishing through rose tinted spectacles.

These people like to have a break in their fishing routine (giving them a feel good factor) and look forward to the buzz of the opening day of the new season. It appears that they think supporting the closed season gives them a moral high ground. Yet some of these 'romantics' are hypocrites as they still fish the still waters for Tench etc during the old closed season and still fish rivers catching the game fish during their spawning/closed season.

If they feel so strongly about the rivers closed season why are they fishing at all during the old closed season?