Power of Prayer?

ColinW

Oh come on, John, do keep up - I was using the Catholic veneration of Mary as an example of an (apparently) pro-feminine aspect of Christianity to contrast with the misogyny of some other branches of the faith (probably inspired by the teachings of Saint Paul, who was a notorious woman-hater).

Just because I don't believe any of it doesn't mean that I'm not interested or have no knowledge of the subject. It's amazing how often "believers" assume that "non-believers" are only of that persuasion because of ignorance.

Not suggesting that's what anyone on here is suggesting, mind... :D

Sorry Davy, I'm not that well versed in the scriptures.

It would be like me deciding to learn Tibetan on the off chance I ended up there some time. Maybe slightly interesting, but in the long run not really worth the effort. :D

I made my mind up about religion at a very early age, and have not seen or experienced anything since that has come close to making me change my thinking. :)

My post was just me 'thinking out loud', and looking at the subject at a very simplistic level.

I do like to 'break down' some of the 'deeper' subjects, it gives me a better perception of what's going on. ;)

I had a visit from some JWs recently, they kept trying to persuade me by quoting the bible. I told them I don't recognise it has a valid source, but still they quoted it as proof of their beliefs.

I repeated my thoughts on the bible, and they quoted another section in reply.

I asked them to try and convince me without referring to the bible, and guess what? Yup, they found another passage to use in an attempt to convince me.

They couldn't understand the irony of them quoting from a book I don't believe in, to convince me that I should believe in it. :blink:

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you saying that tongue in cheek? There's fahsands of 'em - look in any dictionary/encyclopaedia of mythology...
And there's fahsands I don't believe in. I also don't believe in the tooth fairy, santa claus, ghosts, goblind, ghouls, zombies, little-people, fairies (at the bottom of the garden variety), elves etc, etc, etc. Edited by corydoras

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

I had a visit from some JWs recently, they kept trying to persuade me by quoting the bible. I told them I don't recognise it has a valid source, but still they quoted it as proof of their beliefs.

I repeated my thoughts on the bible, and they quoted another section in reply.

I asked them to try and convince me without referring to the bible, and guess what? Yup, they found another passage to use in an attempt to convince me.

They couldn't understand the irony of them quoting from a book I don't believe in, to convince me that I should believe in it. :blink:

John.

Awww :(, They never come and see me :(

Edited by corydoras

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!

we used to get them at one of our old addresses ,i let them quote verse to the geese (after whipping out the back door to usher them into the front garden),guess what? it didn't work :D boy can they run its all that bicycle riding

never had one here perhaps they are afraid of the moslems :D

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

we used to get them at one of our old addresses ,i let them quote verse to the geese (after whipping out the back door to usher them into the front garden),guess what? it didn't work :D boy can they run its all that bicycle riding

never had one here perhaps they are afraid of the moslems :D

Had a couple on Friday, never had them here before............I get the feeling we won't get them again! :spiteful:

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

This is just what I was thinking but didnt have the bottle to post it for fear of ridicule. Religion is rammed down peoples throats in some areas of the world and then we look surprised when someone takes it all literally and really does put their faith in some supreme being.

Why shouldnt the bloke believe God will save his daughter, after all the then Pres stood on national tele and asked God to help him win the Iraq war.........come to think of it though, I don't think God had his hearing aid turned up that day either!

The bloke can believe his left nut is made of green cheese for all that I care. When he lets his daughter die an agonising death because of his beliefs, then I have an issue. His daughters right to life trumps his belief that his sky daddy, his imaginary friend holds the cure.

Sickness is not the result of sin.

Youtube Video ->Original Video

This is not over yet, there are loopholes in Wisconsin law that may let these parents walk.

I suppose letting kids die through lack of vaccinations is cool with you too Phil?

http://www.childrenshealthcare.org/immunizations.htm

Edited by corydoras

That nutjob who let his daughter die without medical treatment while he prayed for her recovery has been found guilty of second degree reckless homicide (his wife was convicted a couple of months ago).

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/8180116.stm

Now he can spend the next twenty five years praying it won't hurt when Gloria, his twenty stone queer cellmate, bends him over a table. I hope "God" doesn't listen to those prayers either.

You can see Dale Neumann give his testimony in the clip below.

Youtube Video ->

I hope that both he and his wife get the full 25 years for what they put that little girl through, undiagnosed diabetes is one helluva way to go for an eleven year old child.

Edited by corydoras

I just hope that when he walks into his cell he is greeted by a 6'7" lifer who looks at him and says "you my puppy now!!!"

But then I suppose he would see himself as a religious martyr and enjoy it <_<

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

Channel 4

Today 16th Aug.

19:00

 – 20:00: Revelations

In the final film of Revelations, the series exploring the impact religion has on the lives of believers and non-believers in Britain today, filmmaker Antony Thomas conducts in-depth interviews with leading figures in the five principal faiths in this county (Anglican, Catholic, Jewish, Muslim and Hindu): Dr Rowan Williams, Archbishop of Canterbury, Vincent Nichols, the recently appointed Catholic Archbishop .

Edited by Emma two
"Some people hear their inner voices with such clarity that they live by what they hear, such people go crazy, but they become legends"

• 2 weeks later...