proposed UK smoking ban

Alan Taylor

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

tugmistress:

no, i did not stop smoking whilst i was pregnant with any of my kids.

It's impossible not to be judgemental in a situation like this, so I won't even bother trying.

Paula, irrespective of the pleasure smoking gives you, wouldn't it have been better for your babies if you'd stopped during pregnancy? Or is that 'pleasure' so important that you risked the lives of those babies for it?

Hand on heart, here, I consider your conduct nothing short of disgraceful. I guess you couldn't give a stuff about what I think, and rightly so, but to risk the health of those babies for the sake of smoking is a hideous dereliction of a mother's duty.

And on the eighth day God created carp fishing...and he saw that it was pukka.

I suspect traffic fumes and other industrial pollution will contibute more significantly than passive smoking does to the avarage non smoker however smoking certainly has nothing to recommend it except self delusionary excuses.

if there has been DEFINATIVE proof that smoking would have harmed my kids, then i possibly would have thought about it.i also don't believe i put my kids lives at risk. we are talking 14 - 18 years ago here. you tell me how my kids would have been better than they are. i don't believe they could have been any healthier. not one of them suffers from any sort of chest condition, they are all taller than i, and for the record they don't come down with every blooming bug that this life throw at them, they rarely had/have time off school unlike most kids (though personally i think that is down to parents over sterilising the environment so the immune system doesn't know how to behave).

quote:

How do you feel about children smoking?

my dad started at 7 ,i would ask him his veiw but he`s a bit dead.

there seems to be some sort of hysteria about today ,things that happened 40 (or whatever)years ago went un-noticed but now people become hysterical when they see it happening ,kids do/did and will smoke just as kids do/did and will drink ,take drugs ,drive under age ,have sex etc etc ,being hysterical only drives it underground and makes it more appealing usualy just to pee of the parents :D

hopefully soon people will realise people need to make their own mind up what they do ,it doesent matter if its harmfull to them or others so long as their informed,remember having a war is a grown ups choice and much more harmfull to everybody.

has banning anything stopped me having the same chances of being knocked down by a car or getting struck by lightning ,you have just the same chance of early death as you did in any decade

[ 21. November 2004, 07:44 PM: Message edited by: chesters1 ]

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Guest Ferret1959

Legalise smoking for kids.

Legalise sex under 16.

Free drugs.

A driving licences at 5.

That should stop them doing things just to pee parents off.

Oh and tugmistress, my Son doesn't live with me now but I still and will try my best to protect him till I die.

tugmistress:

if there has been DEFINATIVE proof that smoking would have harmed my kids, then i possibly would have thought about it.

My eldest is 19 and the doctors told us then that smoking during pregnancy was harmful to babies. Are you seriously saying you were unaware of the dangers? The fact is, you were aware and chose to risk the babies' health, rather than stop smoking.

The fact that your children are healthy came about despite your actions, not because of them. Last question; what the hell would you have done if your gamble hadn't come off?

'DEFINATIVE proof '? Surely a significant risk is enough, isn't it? After all, we're talking about stopping smoking for a few months versus the health of a baby. No contest - or it should be.

I actually logged on to apologise for my harsh words but your attitude just makes me despair, it truly does.

And on the eighth day God created carp fishing...and he saw that it was pukka.

theres significant risk that parents drinking to excess will harm their kids ,wives or others whilst driving but its not getting banned ,theres significant risk in just existing will harm someone but it continues ,if smoking does result in a baby with problems if the woman smokes then the blame lies with the parents,unfortunatly blame isnt afforded its just excepted .

you cant just say smoking harmed baby X because theres thousands of other things that could otherwise only harmed babies would come to smoking mothers ,non smoking ones babies would be perfect ,in a real world we know this not to be true ,should darkies be blamed for having sicle (sp?) celled babies they know the risk but carry on regardless ,should aged parents have kids with the risk of mongols they know it happens .

[ 21. November 2004, 08:29 PM: Message edited by: chesters1 ]

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson