John Peel (DJ) has passed away

RUDD

the single biggest influence on me as a teenager, shaped my musical taste as well as many other things. i was lucky enough to meet him a few times and found to be one of the nicest people i've ever met, who always had time to talk to anyone.

a great loss both to the world of broadcasting, plus the world as a whole

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A girl who works for me just received an email from one of her mates who she went with on a charity treck trip to Peru two weeks ago.

It went something like "Did you know John the radio DJ has just died in Peru, how sad".

The girl at work spent almost two weeks with him and did not realise who he was or that he lived about 20 miles from here!!!!!!!!!

Its a small world.

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

Oooops.

Just started a thread on this without seeing this one. :o

Ignore that thread.

A huge loss. But I still have a smile on my face - the only DJ to have entered the house, house, house club that is Fabric, spun a blinding set of totally eclectic tunes and absolutely rocked the place to its foundations.

An utter legend.

Westie.

If you're being chased by a police dog, try not to go through a tunnel, then on to a little seesaw, then jump through a hoop of fire. They're trained for that.

Visit My Photo Gallery

His voice has seemed to form such a soundtrack to my life that I can't imagine what it will be like without it. Teenage Kicks will seem more poignant than ever from now on.

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.

I've lost one of my hero's today.

It seems that a lot of people share a similar sentiment.

My first memory of John Peel was his voice appearing on an eary Tranasaurus Rex LP, reading a poem about a toad on a marigold comedown.

His show was a regular soundtrack to my teanage years and I still find myself going back to explore the musical genres that he first introduced me to almost 20 years ago. His show had a wonderful relaxed and very human quality that was most obvious when things went wrong - how many times did we listen to a bizzar 10 minute track only to hear John anounce that the next time he played it, he'd try to make sure that it was on at the right speed ?

RIP John. There will never be another like you.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

hating radio (all that wasted time when having to change frequencies when crap songs come on) i didnt know he was alive anyway

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson