Otters Force Out Fishing Club

Elton

In light of Worms' post, just to flag up the sources for some of my previous comments - please see below:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/oxfordshire/3220457.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/5331740.stm

Just so it's clear it's not just my opinion.

Bring it on, mink or non-native verminous creatures.

As regards the otters - can i draw your attention ot a rather hastily researched post I did on this very subject?

here

Very large barbel in the Thames in the 1950's and before, while otters were common. Why is this?

In one study of Scottish otters - fish between 10 and 15cm form the majority (over 50%) of their diet - fish over 60cm were not recorded as featuring in their diet at all (calculated by measuring otoliths - ear bones). Odd then that these massive carp and barbel have been eaten.

There is no otter problem. It's perceived. Fish live and die, they are biological animals. They also move about, migrate, all sorts of things. The reason fish disappear is not necessarily what may appear to be the obvious one.

Incidentally, I just did a google (UK) search on otter problems. At least 8 of the top 20 were related to anglers complaining. We are providing more ammunition for anti-angling groups by discussing this and gettingt he press whipped up. It will do us no good at all if we keep this up.

"I want some repairs done to my cooker as it has backfired and burnt my knob off."

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, and did you note this ?

Mink are effective, aggressive hunters which have thrived in the British countryside since they were introduced from the United States by fur farmers and were later released into the wild when the fur trade declined.

I wonder how many were released by the wicked fur farmers (mink is still sold - and it is not cheap, so I can't see why something that still could be sold was abandoned) and how many were released by "animal rights" hooligans ?

Oh, I forgot - these hooligans are heroes in the eyes of TV presenters. - They make noooose.

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Yes, and did you note this ?

I wonder how many were released by the wicked fur farmers (mink is still sold - and it is not cheap, so I can't see why something that still could be sold was abandoned) and how many were released by "animal rights" hooligans ?

A considerable number were released, definitely. But I think you're right - fur farmers didn't 'let them go'.

We also had South American Coypu existing in the wild for a while, almost certainly from the same sources. They still do in France - I've seen them. At least they are vegetarians. Ruin riverbanks though. Mind you, the canalised status of many of our riverbanks, a temporary coypu introduction may do some good.

"I want some repairs done to my cooker as it has backfired and burnt my knob off."

Sod the otters, now we have a problem with cormorants:

Cormorants on the Waveney Link

"With the longest spell of thick ice many still waters have had for some years, cormorants were pushed in great numbers to ice free spaces.

At the 60-acre plus Earsham Gravels the land managers Fenn Wright are applying for a cormorant cull licence but there is little hope the situation will be improved as the up to 140 visitors continue to wreak havoc.

DEFRA has intimated that it may grant the facility within in the next two weeks, to cull three birds a month up until April.

The Waveney, running adjacent round Bungay Common [the location of the lake this thread was initially started for - Rob], has been plundered too. At Beccles Quay, some days more than 30 have been present, with their hunting grounds limited alternating up and down the river to North Cove."

An interesting article! The penultimate paragraph is enlightening.

http://www.fansonline.net/fishing/article.php?id=153

At least they cleared up their own disposable BBQs.

But what is that? An elusive picture of an otter actually eating a fish?

otter.jpg

It was probably up there sunbathing anyway due to its impending death due to critical illness.

But what is that? An elusive picture of an otter actually eating a fish?

otter.jpg

It was probably up there sunbathing anyway due to its impending death due to critical illness.

Oh do pay attention, can't you see that the fish has the otter by the throat. Rumour has it that the half-eaten carcasses of another 8 otters are lying around the shallows, all murdered (I would have written decimated but 90 otters in one place is a bit much!) by snarling alien killer carp that kill for fun :P

(Oops, forgot the salient point) These evil carp were introduced to small ponds without thought for the native wildlife.....next they'll be 'decimating' cormorant flocks, tearing pike fin from fin, gutting goosanders with deft flicks of the dorsal, slurping down kingfishers like dog biscuits, haranguing herons and taunting perch!

Edited by Worms

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

Oh do pay attention, can't you see that the fish has the otter by the throat. Rumour has it that the half-eaten carcasses of another 8 otters are lying around the shallows, all murdered (I would have written decimated but 90 otters in one place is a bit much!) by snarling alien killer carp that kill for fun :P

(Oops, forgot the salient point) These evil carp were introduced to small ponds without thought for the native wildlife.....next they'll be 'decimating' cormorant flocks, tearing pike fin from fin, gutting goosanders with deft flicks of the dorsal, slurping down kingfishers like dog biscuits, haranguing herons and taunting perch!

As Dr Evil said: You know, I have one simple request. And that is to have carp with frickin' laser beams attached to their heads! Now evidently my cycloptic colleague informs me that that cannot be done. Ah, would you remind me what I pay you people for, honestly? Throw me a bone here! What do we have? :D

Not much bigger than 2lb though is it?

As Dr Evil said: You know, I have one simple request. And that is to have carp with frickin' laser beams attached to their heads! Now evidently my cycloptic colleague informs me that that cannot be done. Ah, would you remind me what I pay you people for, honestly? Throw me a bone here! What do we have? :D

Not much bigger than 2lb though is it?

It would have made a decent livebait though!

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

It would have made a decent livebait though!

Livebaiting for otters - there's a thought! :D

Something else to get your teeth/beaks into, from an Angling Trust advisor.

http://www.gofishing.co.uk/Angling-Times/S...f-conservation/

John.

If you do think its a load of bull, there is a rating system at the bottom! Guess how many stars I gave it! Its the cloned dinosaurs you should be REALLY worried about!

Rich

If you do think its a load of bull, there is a rating system at the bottom! Guess how many stars I gave it! Its the cloned dinosaurs you should be REALLY worried about!

Rich

But it doesn't go lower than 1 Rich, I didn't think it deserved that, not even for comic value.

Talking of comics, some of the articles on there, would be laughable if some didn't take them as gospel.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John