Which UK Freshwater Species would you get rid of?

Dales

These are the changes I would make

reintroduce the Burbot

Vendace Etc

So how do we get this next Ice Age underway then?

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Budgie, When talking about the addition of species to the country i was generalising slightly. Man has always added what he wishes and throughout history has not seen the effects till to late. This can be seen within all nature i.e. squirrels etc. Even allowing non native pond plants to garden ponds has caused devistation to fish stocks, when transfered, and are totally unforseen.

Adding non native fish such as Orfe to ponds for fishing will, no matter how careful you are, eventually lead to some knob head illigally putting them in a river or transfer by natural means. A lot of fisherman will think this is great but their speed of growth and return to native colours (Ide) may have adverse effects on populations such as Chub.

Moving native species also can have simular effects. The Vendace, Powen and some of its simular family members which did survive the iceage are now in danger due to the humble Roach being introduced as it competes for food and eats the eggs. Carp do a simular thing by destroying plants, this destroys insect habitats which then effects what feeds on them.

I could go on but the point is when a species are added the effects are not seen till too late.

Edited by barbelbarmy

The Vendace, Powen and some of its simular family members which did survive the iceage are now in danger due to the humble Roach being introduced as it competes for food and eats the eggs.

I could go on but the point is when a species are added the effects are not seen till too late.

The loss of vendace, powan, pollan, gwyiniad (call them what you will),the Coregonids is a very sad state of affairs.

"I want some repairs done to my cooker as it has backfired and burnt my knob off."

Fair comment BB.

Not sure quite how "heavy" the cull is intended to be Steve.But they could remove an awfull lot of cats and it wont remove them completely! far from it.

Ive heard of the removal on the lower reaches and in fact most places below Flix but not so much re Mequinenza and above.Very much doubt they will either remove them completely or just as importantly ever want to.

"culling"/managing them is no bad thing.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

If there was a species I had to live without, I would reluctantly go for the slimy Bream. Not that I have anything against the poor buggers, it's just the inconvenience of cleaning the slime off of my kit. Then again, If I was going on which fish I find most incinvenient to me, it would have to be Barbel. Living almost next to the river Wensum, my Chubbing is ruined every summer by hordes of Barbel fanatics, competing to see who will pull the next UK record fish from the river.

Since we said just one species, I'll go for Barbel :thumbs:

• 2 weeks later...
Interstingly eels may actually become extinct in our waters in a few years time, how many anglers used to wish their demise when caught while targeting other species?

love most types of fish this is a hard one but probably get rid of bream there stinky lol would say carp as there also non native but then all the boillie brigade would target the fish i hunt

post-18802-1265752147_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Peoples favourite species have cropped up a few times in threads, which is your favourite, what would you fish for if you could only choose one species etc.

But if one had to go and you had the power and had to make the decision to remove ever single last fish of a certain species, which species would you swing the reaper at?

Oddly now I have asked the question, I am struggling to give my answer. Even though its a hypothetical question, I dont want to make the choice and remove a species from our waters.

I could go for Zander or Cats and make an argument that they are non natives, but I have just got into targeting this species and so for selfish reasons I would keep them.

So who then Pike, Perch & Carp are non starters as I love them :D

Rudd & Tench just look to good and so must stay.

Can't get rid of Roach that would be unpatriotic, but then again I don't fish for them much.

Eels to obvious and what would I use for Zander & Pike bait.

Bream, no still enjoy catching them to much.

So am I a bully, do I pick on the little guys. Dace, Ruff, Minnow, Gudgeon, Stickleback? Its tuff.

Sorry Sticklebacks its you :o I feel bad now they were the first fish I ever caught in jam jars and with those bright coloured nets.

So who would you swing the axe at?

Burbot !!! Can never seem to catch one of the b*ggers :lol::lol::lol:

There has been an awful lot of threads lately about cull this cull that manage otters useless Ea waste of time AT we have the evidence everywhere so surely the answer must be.

What UK Freshwater Species would you get rid of? For me the answer is simple. All non indigenous species in and around our waterways, ponds and lakes. Any introduction must logically upset the natural balance, natural biodiversity and only a total completely uneducated moron would even consider introducing any species as recent history of our waterways and lakes has already shown. I personally am beginning to consider the possibility that non indigenous species are introduced deliberately and most likely illegally by those with the most to benefit...the tackle producers and commercial lake owners...Barbel in lakes now what idiot dreamed that one up...Someone hoping to make a few pounds out of wannabe anglers who have the fishing abilities of a house brick and are only capable of dangling a line in a vastly overstocked mud puddle or a bucket. They may be better off buying a child's paddling pool and filling it with fish until the fish can barely swim or perhaps they should simply treat themselves to a computer fishing game or even take up knitting it may be nearer their fishing skills and angling intellectual level.

EDIT:

If people want to fish for non indigenous species, the answer is also simple emigrate, migrate, go on holiday. You leaving will not upset the natural balance in this country, whereas the introduction of any and all non indigenous will and does.

2nd EDIT:

Change the hunting and fishing rules, regulations and laws to allow the killing of any non indigenous species, I have legally hunted just about everything in this world I can in my life and I would have no problem catching and killing non indigenous species wherever or whatever.

Edited by watatoad

From a spark a fire will flare up

English by birth, Cockney by the Grace of God