Anyone got a Breadmaker?

Rusty

Everybody I know with a breadmaker keeps it in the back of a cupboard in the kitchen, next to the Smoothie Maker and the Soda stream.

"I gotta go where its warm, I gotta fly to saint somewhere "

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Everybody I know with a breadmaker keeps it in the back of a cupboard in the kitchen, next to the Smoothie Maker and the Soda stream.

I know a lot of those, but I also know some people who became bread making fanatics.

Make it by hand, it's not hard, I watch the wife doing it all the time, get decent flour but the most important thing is real yeast from a bakers, I remember when deli shops sold it as well, personally I love bread and butter pudding from stale bread, but shop bread doesn't go stale anymore, it just goes green............

"My imaginary friend doesn't like your imaginary friend is no basis for armed conflict...."

Always been my philosophy.

This one didn’t turn out quite as well as the packet mixes, the top crust was perfect when it finished cooking but I left it in the machine for 5 minutes and it softened & creased………instructions say ‘remove immediately’ so next time I will.

bread.jpg

It is cooked through and it smells great so I’ll be taking it to my folks in the morning for the traditional bacon buttie arrival.

Too wet Chris! Try putting in a LITTLE less water! Like 5Ml is all! (LESS that is!! It's not a HUGE amount!)

@ Elton. the best packet ones are the ones I think Tescos do. Can't remember the name but they do Cheese and Onion and an EXCELLENT Ciabatta! Cost is about £1.10?

Edited by Newt

Chris Goddard

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.

If GOD had NOT meant us to go fishing, WHY did he give us arms then??

(If you can't help out someone in need then don't bother my old Dad always said! My grandma put it a LITTLE more, well different! It's like peeing yourself in a black pair of pants she said! It gives you a LOVELY warm feeling but no-one really notices!))

My Mrs got that very same breadmaker several years ago now and the bread she makes is brilliant, since she got it I've never eaten any other bread ! She makes allsorts of different loaves from brown to white with different seeds etc and also makes strawberry sponges etc with it. She never uses packet mixes but puts her own mixes in.

Any suggestions ofr a decent "basic" breadmaker for a beginner - something I've always fancied trying! I love really fresh bread!

Mat you could do a lot worse than the Panasonic SD256, if you can find an Argos with one in stock they may still be £80. You can get cheaper machines but the Which review I read concluded that the 256/257 models were the best value taking into account the consistency of results. The 257 has a 'bits' tray which dumps stuff into the dough at the right time, it also does Rye bread. Mine has neither of these features so it is a fairly basic model but it's so easy to use, I haven't messed one up yet. Both these models have just been superseded by Panasonic and the replacement is £130 making the 256 even better value.

Yesterday's loaf was amazing despite the soft crust; I still can't get over how much better it is than any shop products, even from our local bakery.

Last night was the first experiment with the timer (that's why I'm up so early) and it's just about done, I added less water as per Chris G's advice so it should have a nice firm crust. We’ll see.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

Chris, try to get yourself "Bread Machine by Jennie Shapter" and besides recipies it explaines chemical reaction when you use different substances i.e. the use of boiled potatoe water on the texture, taste and appearance of bread. My Mrs got the one with the seed tray but she very rarely uses that feature. Oat flour produces really nice bread, a softer texture.

Here's a few of Jennie shapters books...

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/i.html?_from=R40&am...-All-Categories

The one my mrs has (an old flip version) doesn't seem to be there but all her books are supposed to be very good.

Edited by Tigger

Chris, try to get yourself "Bread Machine by Jennie Shapter" and besides recipies it explaines chemical reaction when you use different substances i.e. the use of boiled potatoe water on the texture, taste and appearance of bread. My Mrs got the one with the seed tray but she very rarely uses that feature. Oat flour produces really nice bread, a softer texture.

Here's a few of Jennie shapters books...

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/i.html?_from=R40&am...-All-Categories

The one my mrs has (an old flip version) doesn't seem to be there but all her books are supposed to be very good.

Tigger, is this the one mate?? (HOPE so just bought it on your recommendation!)

Chris G

Edited by Chris Goddard

Chris Goddard

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.

If GOD had NOT meant us to go fishing, WHY did he give us arms then??

(If you can't help out someone in need then don't bother my old Dad always said! My grandma put it a LITTLE more, well different! It's like peeing yourself in a black pair of pants she said! It gives you a LOVELY warm feeling but no-one really notices!))