Some Sad News

Elton

As some of you know, Jan Vail passed away unexpectedly yesterday.

At this moment in time, the cause is not known, but that part matters not; what matters is that many of us here have lost a dear friend and Newt, who has been the backbone of these forums from almost day one, has lost a wife and a loving soulmate.

Jan was a forum member in her own right, but took the decision to step back from it all a while back. I don't blame her at all; it was all too time-consuming, sometimes unrewarding and she was never as thick-skinned as her husband is. Instead, she remained friends with many of us and kept in regular contact.

To give you an idea of the kind of woman Jan was, she contacted me recently because she heard that Alan Stubbs was in hospital and wanted to contact him to wish him well. Alan was absolutely gobsmacked when he got a call from the States, to say the least. That was Jan. I don't think I'd have had the presence of mind to do that.

I'd often receive emails from Jan about motorsport news and other topics that she knew I enjoyed, always with a comment asking how my daughters were doing. She took a real pleasure in my joy of being a dad. Jan would regularly mention Newt, too, something that you don't always see in married couples!

I'm going to miss Jan. I'm going to miss her a lot. I've heard from a few blokes today, all of whom have admitted openly to crying at this news.

I can't imagine how my dear friend Newt must feel. My thoughts are with you, Newt, and I'm sure I speak on behalf of everyone here when I say that the thoughts of all of us on Anglers' Net are with you at this terrible time.

Jan Vail - you were one of a kind. One of the kindest people to have graced this planet. Those of us who knew you are better for having known you, but feel that that a big part of us has been taken away. You may have left this world, but you'll never leave our hearts. Rest in peace, Jan.

xx

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So sad. Terrible news.

Our condolences go out to nNewt and the family.

"La conclusión es que los insultos sólo perjudican cuando vienen de alguien que respeto". e5006689.gif

“Vescere bracis meis”

Unlike some, I never met Jan but I do fondly remember her contributions to the forum.

My sincerest condolences go out to to Newt and the family.

Ken

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Newt words are never enough at times like this ,Condolences to you and your family Steve.

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

A beautiful summation of a wonderful lady.

I was having an emotionally strained day when she called.

She promptly deflected my issues and talked openly and in depth of her health issues.

It is a special kind of friend who does that....

I got very upset when people chose to have a go at Jan, simply for being Mrs Newt.

Sometimes Jan and I had divergent opinions, but such was the lady's inner beauty, we always reconciled

these by explaining our respective rationale and remained forever friends.

May Newt find solace in the knowledge that Jan was treasured as a friend by many, many people.

This is a signature, there are many signatures like it but this one is mine