Smoking ban

Andrew

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Banning doesn't work, it just goes underground and breeds crime. Look at drugs in the UK today.

For the record I don't believe in banning anything (pretty much)

I would legalise currently banned drugs and tax them.

I would let licensed premises decide whether to be smoking or otherwise.

I would let people make an informed choice about how they want to kill themselves.

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be. :D

It's not the banning that is the problem, it's the weak punnishments. I would pay extra taxes for realistic punnishment.

1 spliff= 1000.00 ( even parking offences attract stonger at present)

line of coke= years prison, no early release

deal of herion, for supply= 5 years lock up, no early release

one i forgot, m p caught theiving from the public purse= string em up.

Edited by barry luxton

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

barry,

Now your talkin'! Strict enforcement of the 2nd Amendment. A little swift justice is all that's needed. Although just locking up may not always be enough. Second offense, alter the gene pool.

Phone

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be. :D

It's not the banning that is the problem, it's the weak punnishments. I would pay extra taxes for realistic punnishment.

1 spliff= 1000.00 ( even parking offences attract stonger at present)

line of coke= years prison, no early release

deal of herion, for supply= 5 years lock up, no early release

one i forgot, m p caught theiving from the public purse= string em up.

Talking drivel; A quick haircut from Madame Guillotine.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

Are you saying my post is Bu**shi*??

Yes. I have yet to see a compelling demonstration that the revenue raised from smokers is greater than the cost of caring for the consequences of their addiction.

I'd love to see a proper study on the subject but even pulling the few figures that I can find and doing a quick "back of a fag packet" calculation, I seem to be able to pretty much negate the claim that smokers are some sort of pillar of government funding.

BTW: £2 Billion of the quoted £11.1 Billon income from smokers was VAT - Which the exchequer would have got anyway if the smokers had spent their money on something else.

That's due to inconsiderate arseholes. I've been hit in the face by fag butts whilst riding my motorcycle. So? I've also been hit by sandwich packets whilst riding my motorcycle...what next, ban sandwiches? On top of that, riding an open vehicle without eye protection is just irresponsible...as long as you're prepared to accept that responsibility.

I agree about the inconsiderate arseholes. Ash, fag butts, McD's wrappers - I see just about everything tossed out of windows by drivers. The trouble with ash though is that its so light and fine that glasses don't do much good and my first eyefull was despite wearing a rather nice set of Bolle clear safety glasses.

I don't tend to bother with them now unless I'm doing a run along a faster road where you could easily loose an eye to a pebble or it's bright enough to need shades. Any sort of moisture on the road or in the air makes glasses fog up very quickly so for city riding, they can be more of a hazard than a help anyway.

Edited by Ken L

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Well, it costs the NHS £5 Billion a year to treat smoking related illnesses.

Then there's the £2 Billion a year cost to industry though smoking related absence.

Then of course, there's the cost of disability benefits (DLA and IB/ESA) for those with smoking related COPD, Heart Disease, Atherosclerosis, Oral and Lung Cancers and many other related conditions. Sadly I can't find a figure for that but suspect that it will be well into the billions. Not forgetting the cost of carers allowance for the relatives of those claiming the disability benefits.

Edit: And the cost of disabled persons tax credits for those working whilst claiming smoking related DLA.

Then there's the cost of local authority care for those disabled by their smoking and again I can't find figures for that.

All in all, it looks like the case for smokers supporting the economy is a bit thin.

Very funny. There are tens of thousands of people can't smoke in their very own personal proberty because to do so would contraviene their rent agreement and see them turfed out of their home. I see them smoking on their own doorsteps in the middle of winter.

Back on topic.

In the last 12 months, I have twice been temporarily blinded whilst cycling on busy roads because someone has flicked ash out of a car window in front of me. I would happily see smoking in cars banned tomorrow.

never believe stats from those that benefit from those stats?

anyone come to the conclusion if you die young from fags you save the NHS money treating you for age related diseases ,there's more than one way to juggle stats ;)

should we ban the over 70's they cost the country a fair bit in the NHS and in council care costs

your car/ash related problem isnt to do with smoking in cars but the all ready unlawful act of littering

the lung problems are not all fag related and compared to now (when the smoking habit was widespread in our pensioners) as fewer people smoke then the cost will decrease significantly as they die and some other boogy man will have to be found to extract tax or supplement charities vast incomes

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Yes. I have yet to see a compelling demonstration that the revenue raised from smokers is greater than the cost of caring for the consequences of their addiction.

I'd love to see a proper study on the subject but even pulling the few figures that I can find and doing a quick "back of a fag packet" calculation, I seem to be able to pretty much negate the claim that smokers are some sort of pillar of government funding.

BTW: £2 Billion of the quoted £11.1 Billon income from smokers was VAT - Which the exchequer would have got anyway if the smokers had spent their money on something else.

I agree about the inconsiderate arseholes. Ash, fag butts, McD's wrappers - I see just about everything tossed out of windows by drivers. The trouble with ash though is that its so light and fine that glasses don't do much good and my first eyefull was despite wearing a rather nice set of Bolle clear safety glasses.

I don't tend to bother with them now unless I'm doing a run along a faster road where you could easily loose an eye to a pebble or it's bright enough to need shades. Any sort of moisture on the road or in the air makes glasses fog up very quickly so for city riding, they can be more of a hazard than a help anyway.

Ken at no point have I said that Tobacco revenue is higher than the NHS bill.

But a national patch scheme would cost less long term than all the advertising about how bad smoking is.

Thought when you were talking of Bullshine it was some sort of illegal hooch tbh.... :P :P

Someone said Government should legalize drugs and to that I have to agree. Then when all the little junkies come for their hit you catch them and deposit them on Anthrax Island for a year or two.

I do however like the tougher punishment.

I don't smoke but my wife does and she was shocked to find a £150 fine landing on the door mat one day when she was accused to have dropped a Cigarette butt......it turned out it was her sister. However, my wife is very careful nowadays.

My friend in the 90's went to America and asked for 20 Fags from a local shop........... :oops: :oops:

Cory you're getting over excited. Guillotine indeed..............lol

I think that after they have nailed Tobacco the next target will be Alcohol.

Talking drivel; A quick haircut from Madame Guillotine.

now your talking

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

a national patch scheme would cost less long term than all the advertising about how bad smoking is.

The thing is, you can already get patches and gum on the NHS and as something like 80% of prescriptions (that figure dates from before the welsh decided they should all be free) don't get paid for anyway, a national patch scheme is already in place for everyone except people in England who are employed.....

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.