Sleeping whilst fishing

Sportsman

Sleeping whilst fishing  

24 members have voted

1. 1. When night fishing is it OK to turn in and sleep whilst baits are in the water?

• Yes, the bite alarms will wake me up
    • No, I reel in when I want to sleep

As an extension to another thread.

If you go night fishing for any species is it acceptable to go to sleep whilst you have baits in the water.

If yes please explain how you can be said to be attending your rods.

If no, give reason why it is unacceptable

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I answered yes as I sleep quite lightly (if at all) when night fishing. However, if I am really tired I will reel in, get some quality sleep and get up early the next morning.

Ian

"If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving isn't for you"

What's French for 'large wooden spoon', Dave? You need one with a very long handle to stir up the hornets nest. :D

I can understand why people do it, (sleep at night whilst fishing), but it's not for me. But then I wouldn't intentionally use a bolt/self hooking rig, anyway, (its a personal thing). Again, I understand why it was devised, but it's too much like a 'dead line', fixed engine, for my liking. It's a very fine line as to whether it is legal under EA regulations, and I suspect that if someone was to really challenge it, they could put up a damn good case against it, (especially when used with an 'alarm clock' to wake you if you get a run).

For that reason, I'm Out! :D

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

It is little different from 'set lining'. As I mainted in the 'other' thread, I don't believe that anglers can wake up in seconds from the deepest stages of sleep and react efficiently, guarenteed and on every occasion.

On the water where I see carpers sleeping while fishing, their tents are set up at least 12 meters from the waters edge, for closer than that the ground is swampy and wet. I'm sure that somone will put me right if I am wrong here, but isn't 3 paces the guideline distance on has to stay within rods which are fishing?

Edited by Emma two
"Some people hear their inner voices with such clarity that they live by what they hear, such people go crazy, but they become legends"

Cheers Sportsman :) Should be a goodun!

Also, can I ask if you answer 'no', to say whether you've ever tried it? I think that needs to be a consideration. There's no point guessing.

I voted 'yes' but it's not a blanket yes. I would never sleep while fishing for pike or zander, or if I was fishing rigs for any species where hooks can be swallowed, or was fishing up against snags or thick weed.

However, I do regularly do 2-4-day sessions that involve a long drive home where the fishing can be extremely slow - to the point of sometimes getting no bites at all - for nocturnal species. Staying awake all that time is simply not an option! The days are busy, so apart from short naps, sleeping through the day isn't an option either.

The rigs I use are bolt rigs which hook the fish fairly, with no possibility of deep-hooking. If course, it does take longer to get to the rod when a bite occurs than if I was sitting right next to the rods, but the alarm always wakes me and it takes a very short time to throw the sleeping bag off me (I lay it over me like a duvet, not zip myself up), slip into the croc-type shoes that are in the right place waiting for me, and take a couple of strides to the rod. I have never timed it, I would estimate 10 seconds.

If you want to catch one of these fish - what's the alternative?

I think the objections will come from people who don't do this style of fishing and have no experience of it.

PS if you think using alarms and bolt rigs and bivvies is easy or cheating...try it :) I enjoy quite a few styles of fishing, but the session fishing as described above is by far the hardest. The amount of work and planning that goes into it is a lot.

Edited by Anderoo

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

I suppose as the instigator I should voice an opinion.

I don't see how you can be fishing effectively or safely whilst you are asleep.

As I use semi fixed leads quite widely I can't really say much against them.

A couple of points I do struggle with:

If you night fish for carp you are a "noddy in a tent with three set lines"

If you night fish for other species it is a "very complex and valid forms of fishing"

Anderoo asks "If you want to catch one of these fish - what's the alternative?"

Well, I suppose the alternative is if you can't fish for them properly then you can't fish for them at all.

To sum up, when I fish at night I sit in a chair and when I have had enough I go home. If I had a bivvie (I don't as I don't really have a use for one) then I would reel in and go to sleep.

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

I suppose as the instigator I should voice an opinion.

I don't see how you can be fishing effectively or safely whilst you are asleep.

As I use semi fixed leads quite widely I can't really say much against them.

A couple of points I do struggle with:

If you night fish for carp you are a "noddy in a tent with three set lines"

If you night fish for other species it is a "very complex and valid forms of fishing"

Anderoo asks "If you want to catch one of these fish - what's the alternative?"

Well, I suppose the alternative is if you can't fish for them properly then you can't fish for them at all.

To sum up, when I fish at night I sit in a chair and when I have had enough I go home. If I had a bivvie (I don't as I don't really have a use for one) then I would reel in and go to sleep.

No, you're misrepresenting me. I didn't make that distinction between carp and other species, and you missed 'can be' off the beginning of that quote.

The alternative is not an alternative, and can you define 'properly' in that context please?

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Oh my God, are we really having this discussion :o

No offence Sportman as I think it will be a great thread, but by having it as a topic it 100% shows how little we all know about each others fishing :D

From the point of most Carp, Tench or Bream anglers, the thought that other anglers might think it wrong to sleep while fishing makes it look like they know absolutely nothing about fishing. Which is untrue but it does show how much we don't understand about other forms of fishing outside our own little fishing world :D

We need night fishing school and maybe you should not be able to buy a bivey and bed chair with out showing your stamped club card first ;)

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

Oh my God, are we really having this discussion :o

We need night fishing school and maybe you should not be able to buy a bivey and bed chair with out showing your stamped club card first ;)

My thoughts and reasons for my fishing thread.

How can we as anglers ever show a united front when we are all so different in our visions and participation in the sport.

Why does one faction be it carp pike game or any other form have to say that the other is not valid or safe.

Read all the reasons for not allowing various forms of fishing here lately and the anti's would have some lovely amunition.

Everything would be banned.

John