Any teachers on here

Sportsman

didnt we used to have Wordy from Words and Pictures teaching us that? with his magic pen?
No not quite like that. In France one is taught to write in cursive, joined-up writing, using a fountain pen from the word go.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No not quite like that. In France one is taught to write in cursive, joined-up writing, using a fountain pen from the word go.

sounds like the right way to do it!

my primary school was the same; the headmaster of that, who doubled as third year teacher, insisted we wrote with a fountain pen.

i still favour writing with one to this day!

i also recall having sheets of writing to copy in "middle" school to learn correct writing technique etc

Ive seen the bits and bobs my partners nephew brings home from his primary school and he is certainly being taught correct letter form and writing. or should i sau, his homework is at least, to copy letters and writing as best he can and learn how letters are formed. Whether that is backed up in his classes or not is another point.

Errr - "gotten" is the past participle of the verb "get".

How then is it an Americanised word? Are all past participles unpopular in the UK?

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Errr - "gotten" is the past participle of the verb "get".

How then is it an Americanised word? Are all past participles unpopular in the UK?

Oxford dictionaries

http://oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/gotten

gotten (got¦ten)

North American

Definition of gotten

past participle of get.

As past participles of get, got and gotten both date back to Middle English. The form gotten is not used in British English but is very common in North American English, though even there it is often regarded as non-standard. In North American English, got and gotten are not identical in use. Gotten usually implies the process of obtaining something, as in

he had gotten us tickets for the show

, while got implies the state of possession or ownership, as in

I haven’t got any money

It would appear everyone's right, to some degree. :)

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

isnt it rtn as gtn now m8 :P
Have you seen any Froggie text-talk Sportsman?

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

Children in the UK are not taught to write. In France children are taught cursive writing from nursery age, like this.

To say children in UK are not taught to write is just not true. In many UK infant schools, including the one I was deputy head of, certainly children are taught cursive script from school entry. However cursive script has nothing to do with being able to speak and write correctly. What it does do is help with spelling giving the flow, rhythm and shape of the words.

In many cases children are not exposed to a good role model of spoken English by the television presenters on children's TV, nor I'm afraid to say, all too frequently, by the adults around them. If they haven't got good oral language skills then they are not going to have good written ones either.

Edited by Peggy Burke

Classic Fishing Books www.classicfishingbooks.co.uk 100s of fishing books for sale/wanted + reviews

Wingham Fisheries www.anglersnet.co.uk/fisheries/wingham.htm Gravel pit syndicates in Kent. 2008 Forum Fish-In Sat May 17 to Mon May 19. For what happened in 2007 see http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=75031

Paperweights Plus www.paperweightsplus.com Off the shelf and customised paperweights

Maybe its not to a level of acceptance to certain members Peggy

"La conclusión es que los insultos sólo perjudican cuando vienen de alguien que respeto". e5006689.gif

“Vescere bracis meis”

Gozzer, Peggy,

That's ain't - - - as in....

"I ain't got no money"

I'm sad to say my daughter has, and is taking "mechanical drawing" as her last option. She only knows how to keyboard (at incredible speeds). I'm not sure she can make out a simple bank check.

Phone

Ohh, she's in International Baccalaureate program for extremely bright children - and indeed she is just that. Not sure what grade you would put her in as a normal 15 yr old - 9th here.

Edit: OR CPELL - she cannot spell Squat (literally) BTW she averages 4,500 txt messages a MONTH!

Edited by Phone

If they haven't got good oral language skills then they are not going to have good written ones either.

Surly not, someone suffers from dyspraxia, both oral and motor, that doesn't mean that the impediment has an effect on the written skills?

Edited by barry luxton

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..