What's BT up to?

poledark

When I signed up with BT for their Openworld it was £14.99 a month 24/7, then they upped the price to £15.99....fair enough, then they reduced the time to 12hrs a day......hmmmm?......now they have reduced it to 150 hrs a month (5hrs a day).

All this despite saying that 5 hours a day is well within my useage pattern and it is "because some people are abusing the system??"

If I am not one of these then why restrict my usuage??

I have been considering broadband, but no way will I be using BT, Tiscali are doing an offer at the moment so I will be switching to them.

This means that BT will lose my line rental for the "second line" and the £15.99 a month for internet.

Are they shortsighted or what.

By the way I cant get cable.

Den :mad: :mad: (always wanted to use one of these gremlins)

[ 05. October 2002, 10:14 AM: Message edited by: poledark ]

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i hadnt heard officially via e`mail about the 150hrs clause ,typical of bt,i feel sorry for anyone that uses "anytime" (i use surftime) working from home or whatever :mad: they have us over a barrel we still have to pay line rental even if we use someone elses isp (i use bt as my isp as well )so its over £20 a month to them ,who do you use???? maybe there singling out users NOT using them as a isp as well

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

I'm p*ssed off with BT too , a friend suggested pipex: visit http://www.xtreme.pipex.net/adsl/sales/pri...olo-index.shtml but i havent got any further yet!

You can do a test from the website to test if your line is suitable .. mine is!

dan

[ 05. October 2002, 06:02 PM: Message edited by: Dan ]

There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot!

Its nice here! http://www.twfcorfu.com

We're on Tiscali Anytime and want to switch to Broadband. However, it's not available in our area yet "due to lack of demand". ComputerActive magazine this week reported that BT are looking for 200-700 enquiries to make broadband viable on an exchange. However independent experts dispute this and reckon 50 should be enough. That's still no good for us - just 37 enquiries so far!

It's just one of the problems of living in a village I suppose. An issue for the Countryside Alliance perhaps?

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

BT Broadband is available in my area.....

on my local exchange......

but I am more than 4 km from it so I cant have it !!!! (That is info from BT and tested from their website)

However, I am with freeserve anytime at the moment, and they say .............

Yes no problem ..Broadband sir.. of course pay your money and we will set you up....... hmmmmm still using the BT line tho, surely they cant know something that BT dont?????

Sorry Poledark.

Tiscali is reliant on you having a BT line?

I`m trying to get broadband on NTL? They say my area hasn`t been connected yet. Even though they`ve bombarded me with offers for the past 18 months!!!

Paul.

We don`t use J`s anymore!!

The oldies here have been thru this many a moon ago [5 yrs +] with Plus Net (ISP) v BT

(aka BT unbundling v AOL connie merchants/global warriors etc *yawn*)

but it's good to see things have moved on since then.

I'm using ntl atm,

24/7 constant 512K connections (1024K aka 1 Million Kb coming soon / now?)

When compared to BT 54K modems [aka 32K],

ntl is pretty damned quick..

.prob 40 times faster...ie 2 hours downloads on BT take 3 mins on ntl)

All in all,

I'd recommend you move to a ntl area :P

Yes Spasor, I will still need the BT line but I will get rid of the SECOND one that I only use for the internet(keeps the other line free for calls)

So I save by cancelling the second line, BT lose my rental.....and they lose my £15.99 a month 'cos I am changing to Tiscali.

I can now do this and still use the one BT line for my ordinary phone.

Dan, I use the internet at all sorts of hours so offpeak is no good for me.

I do not mind paying for the service, it is the bloody cheek of BT to alter the terms of the contract that they had with me, what would they say if I suddenly decided that I wanted to pay less.

I've made the test to check the line is suitable and so far so good, but Tiscali are going to make a further check at the exchange before we can proceed.

If all is well then they are doing an offer with no connection charge, saving £85.00 over BT broadband, and the Modem is only £65.00 including Two Filters. Keep your fingers crossed for me snd hopefully when I get the OK you can raise the same two fingers to BT for me.

Den

[ 05. October 2002, 11:49 PM: Message edited by: poledark ]

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic