How would you react ?

Ken L

Salt, a world expert on immigration, said his estimate — provided to the Home Office — was between 450,000 and 500,000 illegal immigrants. “If I were in a court of law and asked what was my best estimate, that’s what I would say,” he said.

His paper had also originally included detailed estimates of the numbers of illegal migrants working here, but he said the figures were removed by the Home Office when it was published last year.

When he was given a copy of the department’s estimate of the number of illegal immigrants last October, he said officials had told him they did not want to release the information and had asked him to keep the figure confidential. “If they don’t want to release the information, I can’t release it,” he said this weekend.

However, a Home office source confirmed the department’s figure was similar to Salt’s estimate of 500,000. According to the confidential Downing Street memo,

"My imaginary friend doesn't like your imaginary friend is no basis for armed conflict...."

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OI OI

sportsman, i never said asylum seekers closed the steel work's, i was refering to the black country

for the reason its full of them, but it was a play on words because it WAS iron & steel they called it that but never mind you obviously dont have a sense of humour (sorry you must do to belive what you write.)

IM BOORED WITH IT NOW ANYWAY.

:wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:

BILL.........nemo mortalium omnibus horis sapit,

ENGLAND & ST GEORGE, C,MON

BRUMMIE IN EXSILE..........yo aint sin me roite

Anyone presenting a DSS check, large or small, if they are black, brown or white, are within the normal benefits system, not assylum seekers and are nothing to do with this discussion. In the event that they have such a large cheque, it is likely to be 'backpay' for disability living allowance, which is money paid for the period during which a decision to award is made. This is likely to be so big because of poor administration of the system.

Just for informations sake, people who do not have a legal right of abode in Great Britain are not entitled to DLA, Incapacity Benefit etc

Immigration and Assylum Act 1999 Sec 115

m SS (Immigration and Assylum) Consequential Ammendments 2000. Reg 2. Sch 1. Part 2 (PFA)

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Source:

http://hrw.org/doc/?t=refugees&document_limit=0,2

However this accounts for refugees, not asslum seekers, and may include people from a LONG time ago.

NEW ASYLUM APPLICATIONS SUBMITTED IN SELECTED INDUSTRIALIZED COUNTRIES 1

[in 2004]

France 58,500

United States 56,000

United Kingdom 40,600

Germany 35,600

Canada 25,800

Austria 24,600

Sweden 23,200

Belgium 15,400

Switzerland 14,200

Slovakia I 11,400

UNHCR: Countries with more than 10,000 new asylum applications – final figures (revised December 2005).

BTW Populations of countries (from cia.gov) and therfeore numbers of genereal pop for each assylum seeker.

France 60,656,178 (1 per 1037 people)

USA 295,734,134 (1 per 5261 people)

UK 295,734,134 (1 per 1489)

Sweden 9,001,774 (1 assylum seeker for every 388 people)

So lets talk sensible shall we. The French take more assylums seekers than we do, if you are really worred about being swamped check out Sweden with their terrible quality of life and poverty...

sarcasm100x100.gif

*Within Europe there were significant changes over the two decades in the destinations that asylum seekers sought. Germany saw its percentage share drop from 45 per cent to 26 per cent as more people sought refuge in the United Kingdom whose share of asylum seekers more than doubled, from 6 to 14 per cent. The Netherlands and Switzerland also experienced rises, say UNHCR. On the other hand France's share of applications fell threefold in this period (from 17 to a mere 6 per cent).*

www.europaworld.org

As for the 1/6, it was quoted on a debate on BBC Radio 5 a few weeks ago...................and i'm googling to try and find the figures.

Eat right, stay fit, die anyway.

Kind of obvious that one... seeing as West Germany ceased to get assylum seekers from East Germany!

Yes but it makes a mockery of your statement that France takes more asylum seekers than the UK.

Eat right, stay fit, die anyway.

Salt, a world expert on immigration, said his estimate — provided to the Home Office — was between 450,000 and 500,000 illegal immigrants. “If I were in a court of law and asked what was my best estimate, that’s what I would say,” he said.

This is why it's important to quote your source of reference (as a few more people are now doing - thanks) - it makes it easier for the reader to evaluate what you are saying:

"So what about the other figure for 500,000 illegal immigrants? Professor Salt's report for the Home office pointed out that counting illegal immigration is, at best, an inexact science. Separately, he has also said in the past that no one knows the size of the illegal or undeclared population across Europe or in individual countries.

The 500,000 figure came about because Professor Salt did some theoretical calculations to see what the situation in the UK might be like if its circumstances were similar to other countries which have tried counting illegal immigrants through worker amnesties.

Many European countries have tried amnesties - Italy registered 308,000 people in 1998 and Spain recently began a similar exercise. However, Prof Salt's exercise demonstrated how difficult it is to try and measure illegal immigration - he came up with a range between 100,000 and 900,000 with some clustering around 500,000. These figures did not factor in how the conditions of an amnesty could influence the outcome.

So Professor Salt's report for the Home Office did not include any figure because it was a hypothetical exercise - a demonstration of how an amnesty might be useful in counting people, rather than something ministers could expect to complete the picture."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/vot...ues/4472735.stm

While I was in Turkey last October, I chatted to an owner of a clothes shop, he asked me to bring as many mobile phones over next time I visit as they are very hard to come by. No chance, I hated most everything about Turkey :yucky: the incessant harrassment done us in. :angry:

Must say also...the bloke said he would pay me well.

Edited by Casey