Stone Loach

Unimexsol

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember catching a very small fish when I was a youngster that my dad identified for me as a Stone Loach. I've never seen another being caught, is that because they are uncommon or just that I fish in slower waters now?

Ive got 2 of these in my tank, i caught them at the river severn near ironbridge. Its preety fast flowing water, so they might prefer faster moving currents but im not sure.

84854438.png

Took this off a website Uni, might explain it as they seem to prefer clear water.

"This small slender fish is found in clear water almost everywhere in the British Isles - except Northern Scotland. Usually it hides under stones (whence its name) - waiting for the small creatures on which it feeds. Its colour is grey-greenish or brownish - with irregular darker blotches; the belly is white. There are six barbels round its mouth - the two at the corners of the jaws being longer than the other four. The scales and eyes are small - the fins dotted or striped. Average length three to four inches."

Ian

"If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving isn't for you"

They are probably not as rare as you might think. We found some for a mate's fish tank in a little stream (more drainage ditch really) that runs under the Leeds Liverpool canal in Merseyside. They were lying under rocks in only a couple of inches of water, so not somewhere you are ever likely to be fishing!

I remember catching a very small fish when I was a youngster that my dad identified for me as a Stone Loach. I've never seen another being caught, is that because they are uncommon or just that I fish in slower waters now?

I am sure I will be corrected but I believe this species is also nocturnal

They are probably not as rare as you might think. We found some for a mate's fish tank in a little stream (more drainage ditch really) that runs under the Leeds Liverpool canal in Merseyside. They were lying under rocks in only a couple of inches of water, so not somewhere you are ever likely to be fishing!

I've caught a few in the Leeds & Liverpool canal, in the Rodley area near Leeds, Colin.

John.

Edited by gozzer

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

My son caught this Stone Loach or is it a Bullhead/Millers thumb fishing on the river Lea on a maggot feeder, I haven't seen one of these for years and don't think I have ever caught one myself.

th_40969_IMG_4268_122_417lo.jpg

Edited by hermes

Only place ive ever caught them is from a small stream that ran at the back of my house at Chipping Sodbury near Bristol as a lad."Stalked" them with a bit of worm on a size 18!

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!