Anger At Rising Cost Of Concessionary Rod Licences

Elton

Shame there isnt a Scroungers Net where I could learn about any other benifits/handouts etc that Im "entitled" too

Not quite "Scroungers Net", but the official guide to all local and central government services is here http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/index.htm

Be warned though, it's not very intuitive and navigation leaves a lot to be desired.

On the other side of the official fence, there are lots of websites set up by local council welfare rights groups and CAB, and there's also this http://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/index.htm which isn't quite so easy to find. Some good stuff in there and contributions from lawyers and former appeals tribunal members as well.

Edited by Ken L

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shame there isnt a Scroungers Net where I could learn about any other benifits/handouts etc that Im "entitled" too :rolleyes: Only joking its humiliating enough all ready....

Haven't read the rest of this thread, but just noticed this bit, Budgie.

Off topic, but I do actually share your sentiments (albeit, I wouldn't use the term 'scroungers' :D).

I have been struggling financially for years, but always assumed I wasn't entitled to anything until last month, when a friend expressed astonishment that I'd never claimed Working Tax Credits or Child Tax Credits. So, I did a bit of digging and found out that my wife and I should be entitled to something. The form went off this week, so fingers crossed. Apart from maternity pay, we've never had anything from the state (not even sick pay), so this is all new territory for me. :)

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

I wonder if those who complain about the licences, would like to go back to the old system?

For the benefit of the newer anglers. I think it was about 15 or so years ago it changed, (I might be wrong with the time).

You had to buy a licence for the River Authority or River Board area in which you fished, this covered 1 rod per licence.

I used to fish the Trent, Witham and the Norfolk rivers, with the occasional trip to the Lake District, as well as my local Yorkshire Ouse system.

I had to buy several licences every year, to stay legal.

The present system, (though not perfect), is a much better one than that.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

For the benefit of the newer anglers. I think it was about 15 or so years ago it changed, (I might be wrong with the time).

You had to buy a licence for the River Authority or River Board area in which you fished, this covered 1 rod per licence.

Yes, I must grudgingly admit that privatising the water industry was one of the best things Thatcher did. Under the old system the water authorities were responsible for the regulation of pollution and were simultaneously the biggest gross polluters of our waterways with inadequately treated sewage effluent. Only by the separation of the regulatory functions from the water supply and waste treatment industry was the conflict of interest resolved. The formation of a national rivers authority was definitely a step forward. I'd rather it had not subsequently been absorbed into the EA, though.

Haven't read the rest of this thread, but just noticed this bit, Budgie.

Off topic, but I do actually share your sentiments (albeit, I wouldn't use the term 'scroungers' :D).

I have been struggling financially for years, but always assumed I wasn't entitled to anything until last month, when a friend expressed astonishment that I'd never claimed Working Tax Credits or Child Tax Credits. So, I did a bit of digging and found out that my wife and I should be entitled to something. The form went off this week, so fingers crossed. Apart from maternity pay, we've never had anything from the state (not even sick pay), so this is all new territory for me. :)

Be very wary of that one Elton.

I've been claiming child tax credit for a few years, filled in all the forms they sent me accurately, supplied all the figures from P60s etc that they asked for, then last year out of the blue I got a letter telling me that I'd been overpaid by just over 2 grand, and that they wanted instant repayment.

I'm still argueing with them about it now.

Mat

Mat

I too remember the days of regional water authority/river board licences.Yes it was a pain (not to mention the extra expence) having to buy different licences for different areas.

However this was the only real change.Since Ive fished we have had the regional water authority,the NRA and now the EA.Other than the national licence,new sign writing/stationary and an upgrade in the model of BMW for directors its still the same old system administered by the same old faces in the same lethargic way!

Oh I forgot the change in buying them! Ive not got a problem with the post office now doing this and remember quite clearly how much the poor old tackle dealers used to whine about the inconvieniance/lack of return! Mo matter what they say these days!

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

I pay full price for my license and think that it is pretty good value for money. The only thing that I'd like to see is more people checking to make sure that everyone has a license - if we could make all the people who fish actually pay then it would bring in much more money (which naively I would hope would be spent on the waterways.)

If you join a gym for instance it costs about £30 per month, playing in a pub football team is about £10 per game, hiring a tennis court is about £4 per session. For the £25 or so per year for a rod license I think you get pretty good value for money.

Even if it is half a weeks Income support.

Oh I forgot the change in buying them! Ive not got a problem with the post office now doing this and remember quite clearly how much the poor old tackle dealers used to whine about the inconvieniance/lack of return! Mo matter what they say these days!

Yes. I wonder how they feel about that in these days of Internet shopping? I suspect a system which meant that every angler had to visit a tackle shop once a year would be welcomed with open arms these days!

If you join a gym for instance it costs about £30 per month, playing in a pub football team is about £10 per game, hiring a tennis court is about £4 per session. For the £25 or so per year for a rod license I think you get pretty good value for money.

To be fair, though, it isn't equivalent to those things. Those things are equivalent to day tickets or club cards. There is no such thing as a football licence or a tennis licence or a working out licence. The equivalent would actually be needing a licence to use a multigym in your own home, with the proceeds going to provide help and advice to gym owners and to improve facilities in public gymnasia.