Anger At Rising Cost Of Concessionary Rod Licences

Elton

Just to clear up the mater of entitlement

Anyone who receives Disability Living Allowance is now eligible for a discounted annual rod licence. Last year this concessionary licence was only available to Blue Badge holders, who have severe mobility problems. We reviewed this with the Disability Rights Commission and the British Disabled Anglers Association, and decided that it was appropriate to extend the concession. Almost three million people receive Disability Living Allowance and, unlike the Blue Badge, this includes those with mental health disabilities.

"Angling is one of the most popular outdoor activities amongst disabled people," says our Head of Fisheries Dafydd Evans. "We hope extending this concession will encourage more disabled people to take the sport up. We anticipate an extra 45,000 people will buy the discounted licence."

Regarding genuine and non genuine. With respect unless we are a Doctor or psychiatrist, who has the right to judge who is genuine. Not all disabilities are visible as I say who are we to judge?

E.A employee

Edited by RAC

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"We hope extending this concession will encourage more disabled people to take the sport up. We anticipate an extra 45,000 people will buy the discounted licence."

E.A employee

Exactly as I said in an earlier post, ...Giving a concession can increase revenue

Alan

I must be doing something right, I'm still alive

I cant see any reason for disabled anglers to pay less than abled anglers. Disability benefits are adequate to fund what is, lets face it, extremely good value for money. The rod licence could go up to £50 and it would be still worth it so why are people, disabled or not quibbling over a few quid? Its a joke. No matter what your income, disabled or not, can we not afford £25 for a rod licence for a years fishing?

Come on lets put it itno perspective, some disabled people are milking the system just as bluezulu says, for every genuine case theres 2 fakes.

I cant see any reason for disabled anglers to pay less than abled anglers. Disability benefits are adequate to fund what is, lets face it, extremely good value for money. The rod licence could go up to £50 and it would be still worth it so why are people, disabled or not quibbling over a few quid? Its a joke. No matter what your income, disabled or not, can we not afford £25 for a rod licence for a years fishing?

Come on lets put it itno perspective, some disabled people are milking the system just as bluezulu says, for every genuine case theres 2 fakes.

Firstly not everyone with a disability receives disability benefits and if you bother to read the posts some disabled anglers do not get a years fishing, some are lucky to get a weeks fishing in a year.

Secondly yes there may be fakes but why should the genuine cases be made to suffer because of them.

We are talking about people who have layed their life on the line to serve their country and people who have supported this country throught taxes there whole working life, I find it unbelievable that some of you begrudge them a small concession. I myself am elegable for a concessionary rod licence but I would gladly give that up if it meant that the likes of budgie, Kleinboet or any other disabled angler or pensioner can have that concession.

Joe

This really is a circular argument that's going no where. Sure there are people abusing the system, some people who get so many benefits that they are (financially) well off but you will never get any system that's 100% fair. It is however a good system and I for one don't begrudge paying a tiny bit more so those less fortunate can pay less. Isn't that the system under which charities operate ? With attitudes like many displayed here it's no wonder this country is becoming such an uncaring cess pit :(

Rob.

Bluezulu, Zedhead, with respect, what evidence do you have and what formula did you use to end up with these findings, are you both GP's? or government statisticians . You are saying two thirds of disabled anglers are fraudsters, that is firstly offensive and secondly outrageous.

Edited by RAC

What do you know about what disabled people can or cannot afford, or what it is like to be disabled and what do you know about the proportion of claimants abusing the system.

Absolutely nothing <_<

An extremely offensive post once again.

Just because someone gets to pay less, it does not mean that you have to pay more, so just what is your problem?

Jealousy ?

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

Bluezulu -(not for the first time) I find your postings offensive! Are you assuming that because I am not registered blind, or in a wheelchair, I am not disabled!

Imagine the last time you overindulged with the bevies, and felt too bad to do anything the next morning - that is a disabled person on a GOOD day!!

If you are Phobic about disabled people (and you shouldn't be - After all you were a MODERATOR on a disabled website!) please take that attitude elewhere!

5460c629-1c4a-480e-b4a4-8faa59fff7d.jpg

fishing is nature's medical prescription

I've stayed out of this discussion because I have no knowledge or experience on which to base opinions. It has, however, been an interesting topic to read.

I hope this isn't going down the good old route of 'it's not fair that someone gets something I don't'. The 80s lives on, it seems... :rolleyes:

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music