Hunting, shooting and fishing  

151 members have voted

1. 1. Do you actively:

• Just fish
    • Fish and shoot
    • Fish and hunt
    • Fish, shoot and hunt

cats arnt owned you are their servants :D

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

• Replies 459
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Budgie, sounds like your cat is FERAL and therefore a legitimate target.

Perhaps those cat owners who have no consideration for other people/wildlife should read this article. Who knows, they may learn something. :o

Keeping Cats indoors

A US site that raises excellent points no matter what country you live in.

Domestic cats are not a natural part of ecosystems, yet they are among the most widespread predators across the globe today. By virtue of their close connection with humans, they also generally enjoy a standard of living that protects them from many threats themselves. When pet cats hunt backyard birds and small native mammals, they deprive other native species, such as the Great Horned Owl and Red-Tailed Hawk, of food. In so doing, they pose a significant threat to the diversity and health of local ecosystems. They can also transmit diseases to wildlife, further weakening the health of natural populations.

Allowing pet cats to roam outside is not just bad for backyard birds and wildlife, it's bad for the cats too. Outdoor cats are exposed to disease as well as the dangers of traffic, traps, poisons, abuse, and attacks from other animals. In fact, outside cats frequently don't live past the age of five, while indoor cats often live to be 17 or more.

It's a fallacy that cats need to roam outside to be happy, and the common strategy of putting bells on their collars has been found to be ineffective for alerting wildlife to their danger. The best solution for everyone is to keep pet cats inside.

So cats that are allowed to roam destroy the eco chain by depriving wild animals of food and because they are neglected by their owners (who can't be arsed installing cat proof fencing or outdoor pens or keeping them indoors - my guess because it would cost money to do so and the cat was free) they don't live as long.

I'm not a cat hater but I despise people who don't look after their animals by letting them roam destroying other animals/ other peoples properties, causing road accidents and in particular I am unimpressed by those who claim to love their pets yet don't bother KEEPING THEM SAFE. :o

If I had a cat I would keep it up to date with its injections, worming and not let it roam as it might have the possibility of being killed, possibly causing a road accident and human deaths, contracting feline Flu and AIDS, murdering other creatures for pleasure, annoying neighbours and passing toxicplasmosis to children etc etc.

That issue is highly contentious, Tigger. The stats quoted for cat lifespans by US pro-indoor people are misleading; they are comparing indoor cats not to domestic cats allowed outdoors, but to semi-feral farm cats which live outdoors or in outbuildings. It's also popular in the US to declaw house cats, which is rightly seen as mutilation in the UK and banned.

British shelters will generally only rehome old and infirm cats to people who do cannot provide safe access to the outdoors.

Bottom line, as far as I am concerned, is that if you aren't willing to let your cat go outdoors (because you live on a busy road, or near to maniacs who shoot pets, or because you are afraid that they might kill a starling) you should not get a cat. Same as you should not get a dog if you aren't in a position to exercise it. I'm happy to accept that some people will say that if that's the case nobody should own a cat. It's a point of view. I invite them to get their MP to change the law to ban keeping cats. In the meantime, I will look after my animals as I consider to be best for their wellbeing, within the bounds of the laws and social conventions of this country. They are insured, wormed, frontlined, chipped, regularly vetted, collared, belled, have an ID disk, are kept in from before dusk til after dawn and as far as our vet is concerned are kept according to best practice. I don't do anything that the majority of British people have a problem with, nor that many of my neighbours don't also do. My conscience is clear.

Edited by Steve Walker

That issue is highly contentious, Tigger. The stats quoted for cat lifespans by US pro-indoor people are misleading; they are comparing indoor cats not to domestic cats allowed outdoors, but to semi-feral farm cats which live outdoors or in outbuildings. It's also popular in the US to declaw house cats, which is rightly seen as mutilation in the UK and banned.

British shelters will generally only rehome old and infirm cats to people who do cannot provide safe access to the outdoors.

Bottom line, as far as I am concerned, is that if you aren't willing to let your cat go outdoors (because you live on a busy road, or near to maniacs who shoot pets, or because you are afraid that they might kill a starling) you should not get a cat. Same as you should not get a dog if you aren't in a position to exercise it. I'm happy to accept that some people will say that if that's the case nobody should own a cat. It's a point of view. I invite them to get their MP to change the law to ban keeping cats. In the meantime, I will look after my animals as I consider to be best for their wellbeing, within the bounds of the laws and social conventions of this country. They are insured, wormed, frontlined, chipped, regularly vetted, collared, belled, have an ID disk, are kept in from before dusk til after dawn and as far as our vet is concerned are kept according to best practice. I don't do anything that the majority of British people have a problem with, nor that many of my neighbours don't also do. My conscience is clear.

I notice you mention the killing of A starling not endangered protected species .....such as SLOW WORMS!!

I don't want to ban the keeping of cats, I want people to take responsibility for their animals and stop bleating that people don't have the right to kill them when they stray onto other peoples land destroying their stock. People should also be held responsible for the damage they do. By the way Steve would your consience be clear if you cat caused a traffic accident in which people could die or be maimed/crippled ?

In my opinion it's all about taking responsibility and not just making feeble excuses because the cat was free, it cost you nothing and you can't be arsed getting out of bed :angry::lol:

Edited by tigger

I base my belief on hearing and seeing the kids that are 'addicted' to these games/films. Their manner, speech (if you can call it that, they have little or no communication/social skills) and general behaviour are almost a 'carbon copy' of the characters they have watched, or the 'role' they have played.

Where do you live? Hollywood?

Budgie, sounds like your cat is FERAL and therefore a legitimate target.

Tigger, can you explain this comment, please? Specifically, without any evidence that it fulfils the accepted definition of a feral cat, what makes Budgie's cat a 'legitimate target' and for whom?

Thanks.

And on the eighth day God created carp fishing...and he saw that it was pukka.

Tigger, can you explain this comment, please? Specifically, without any evidence that it fulfils the accepted definition of a feral cat, what makes Budgie's cat a 'legitimate target' and for whom?

Thanks.

Read his posts.

How can you blame a cat for what it does naturally?

Try to read my posts... :rolleyes: I don't BLAME a cat. I say the OWNER should take responsibility. They are supposed to be the one with a brain after all. :)

Cory, take any phrase you like and quote it out of context, It actualy reads SORCERESS (Look that up in an ANCIENT dictionary - it means "devil woman")

But, more importantly, this was not ordered by GOD. Look at the ten commandments (or eleven if you wish to be pedantic) and look in the new testament at what is expected of a good Christian (by the way Christians did not exist until Jesus' birth) The ten commandments would not upset any DECENT secular person as the advice given is purely to promote respect.

The "eleventh commandment" usually ignored by ALL is that you love one another as you would love yourself!

From what i've read I think the pagans had it right. Well, before they were robbed of there ideas, plajerised and burned to death by the 'Christians'.