Anderoo

Hunting, shooting and fishing  

151 members have voted

1. 1. Do you actively:

• Just fish
    • Fish and shoot
    • Fish and hunt
    • Fish, shoot and hunt

in a open ground race perhaps but once its in scrub its away ,seen some very fast lurchers come a cropper on wire fences when mr fox jumps over it :D

lurchers are sight dogs not really sniffer ones which track the fox in deep cover ,yes lurchers will kill foxes on open ground but if they were any good hunts would use them.seen lurchers kill many things and bring a horse down once

i was really thinking of house dogs rather than sporting/hunting dogs when i replied to the post

"It would seem that if your woken up in the night by a fox in your chicken pen and you let your dog out to chase it off" ,our old collie and yorkie wouldnt stand a chance :D our old bull terrier cross terrier could easily kill one but not fast enough to catch one although he could track it for miles.

we watched a fox walk the perimeter of our garden then jumping a 6ft fence (the only bit with a decent run up to it) ,even a lurcher couldnt jump a 6ft fence with the ease that fox did ,i even saw one climb a 8ft chain link fence to get in a garden :D i even saw one climb a tree run across a pitched roof and jump onto a bank in the garden even our old cross couldnt climb a tree but he could climb any fence to get to the local bitch in heat :D

Bloody hell Chesters what kind of lurchers have you seen in action, mine could jump a six ft fence with their bck legs tied to their front legs with someones out of control pet cat in it's mouth :D

• Replies 459
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bloody hell Chesters what kind of lurchers have you seen in action, mine could jump a six ft fence with their bck legs tied to their front legs with someones out of control pet cat in it's mouth :D

we have heavy lurchers round here that drag deer for miles ;) lurcher seems around here to be anything longer than it is high with long legs ,i have even seen a greyhound x dulux dog described as one by a err gypsy friend ,fast ish but very powerful it dropped the horse i spoke off ,we think at a distance it was rabbit sized so zoomed off and was too stuid to realise the nearer it got the bigger it got :D

he mated it with another "lurcher" and sold the pups for a very good price based on its ability to take down deer (and ofcourse that horse) :D even ted adsett (a famouse terrier breeder of the old school) bought one.

theres little land available for coursing (illegal use brought it to the attention of the rozzers) so little use for lurchers as they are normaly seen ,whippets can be walked with little attention being made for the odd bunny or come nightime the big fellas go for the bigger game as lamping has also been come down on hard.cars are used instead spotting them in the verges or road now so a big dog that can kill them is less attention grabbing

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

we have heavy lurchers round here that drag deer for miles ;) lurcher seems around here to be anything longer than it is high with long legs ,i have even seen a greyhound x dulux dog described as one by a err gypsy friend ,fast ish but very powerful it dropped the horse i spoke off ,we think at a distance it was rabbit sized so zoomed off and was too stuid to realise the nearer it got the bigger it got :D

he mated it with another "lurcher" and sold the pups for a very good price based on its ability to take down deer (and ofcourse that horse) :D even ted adset (a famouse terrier breeder of the old school) bought one

Not bad takin a GeeGee down single handed. How was it at bringin down tall cats or cats as big as Lions or horse sized cats. I once saw a three legged lurcher win a three legged race n'all but I reckon it was fixed. :rolleyes:

Not bad takin a GeeGee down single handed. How was it at bringin down tall cats or cats as big as Lions or horse sized cats. I once saw a three legged lurcher win a three legged race n'all but I reckon it was fixed. :rolleyes:

never saw it go for cats it was fine with ours but a strange lack of them on the gypsy site it lived on :D

it was stolen once but returned a month later by the police there could not have been many as distinct as that one was :D

once the aldershot track closed most of the greyhounds were disposed off so little to cross with ,an old chap crossed one with a afghan but it was too stupid to chase anything .

our old bull terrier cross was a ted adsett experiment but its head was too big to go to ground but he was very trainable for bush rabbits and stalked them rather than chased them ,trouble was pulling a complete rabbit out of its throat became boring :D would attack humans on command though and at 42lbs was very able as a defence ,great dog and fought like hell at 19 when we had no choice but to put him down (went blind then mad)

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Stop bending the real issue Wordbender cats should be kept under control and not allowed to destroy our precious wildlife.

That's YOUR issue, Tigger. There are other issues here (which you are deliberately avoiding) such as the illegal shooting of someone's pet, as you advocated when referring to Budgie's cat as 'a legitimate target'. It would help if you'd answer, rather than deflect, the question.

Another issue is your accusation that cats kill for pleasure. Can we assume that your lurchers get no pleasure from coursing their quarry, and that you derive no pleasure from watching them work? I was born and raised around running dogs and my heart still quickens when I see a good dog do its stuff. So, is it OK for our dogs to enjoy what they do, but not our cats?

Regards.

And on the eighth day God created carp fishing...and he saw that it was pukka.

..yes lurchers will kill foxes on open ground but if they were any good hunts would use them.

Lurchers are many, many times more efficient at killing foxes than a pack of hounds - and that's EXACTLY why the hunt would never use them. The chase would be over in seconds, and that's no use to any hunt, is it?

The rights and wrongs of foxhunting is another debate entirely, but please don't bother with the notion that a pack of hounds and a mounted hunt is an efficient means of fox control. Lurchers, terriers, a rifle and lamp, all eclipse the hunt in terms of sheer numbers of foxes killed. The professional vermin controllers I work with will kill more foxes in a single night than the hunt could take in a month, or in some cases a whole season.

Please accept that, whatever your views on foxhunting, the very last to benefit from its banning was the fox itself. Foxhunting needed foxes - vermin control doesn't, and it's way more efficient in killing them.

Regards.

And on the eighth day God created carp fishing...and he saw that it was pukka.

Lurchers, terriers, a rifle and lamp, all eclipse the hunt in terms of sheer numbers of foxes killed. The professional vermin controllers I work with will kill more foxes in a single night than the hunt could take in a month, or in some cases a whole season.

Please accept that, whatever your views on foxhunting, the very last to benefit from its banning was the fox itself. Foxhunting needed foxes - vermin control doesn't, and it's way more efficient in killing them.

Regards.

Absolutely. Just the point I made earlier. My old granddad could catch and kill more foxes in a week than a hunt would kill in a month of Sundays.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

That's YOUR issue, Tigger. There are other issues here (which you are deliberately avoiding) such as the illegal shooting of someone's pet, as you advocated when referring to Budgie's cat as 'a legitimate target'. It would help if you'd answer, rather than deflect, the question.

Another issue is your accusation that cats kill for pleasure. Can we assume that your lurchers get no pleasure from coursing their quarry, and that you derive no pleasure from watching them work? I was born and raised around running dogs and my heart still quickens when I see a good dog do its stuff. So, is it OK for our dogs to enjoy what they do, but not our cats?

Regards.

It's not my issue it's a massive worldwide issue and if you don't know about it then there's no way you've worked for rentakill. By the way all the rentakill people I know don't even know how to lay poison properly and generaly haven't got a clue. If someones pet interfeers with my property/animals just the same as a rat or fox then wether it's illegal or not it's going in a bin bag, is that good enough for you ? And in my opinion as well as most sain minded people that's fair enough.

Regarding cats killing for pleasure and lurchers hunting, well your just talkin total nonsense you can't even compare the two. A person takes their dogs out hunting for a specific quarry they don't just go out killing as many mice,voles,SLOW WORMS,any bird etc with no regard for wildlife.

A person takes their dogs out hunting for a specific quarry they don't just go out killing as many mice,voles,SLOW WORMS,any bird etc with no regard for wildlife.

The slow worms are at just as much risk from the neighbour's dogs; I bet you don't have a problem with that, though.

Lurchers are many, many times more efficient at killing foxes than a pack of hounds - and that's EXACTLY why the hunt would never use them. The chase would be over in seconds, and that's no use to any hunt, is it?

The rights and wrongs of foxhunting is another debate entirely, but please don't bother with the notion that a pack of hounds and a mounted hunt is an efficient means of fox control. Lurchers, terriers, a rifle and lamp, all eclipse the hunt in terms of sheer numbers of foxes killed. The professional vermin controllers I work with will kill more foxes in a single night than the hunt could take in a month, or in some cases a whole season.

Regards.

i never and never have said fox hunting was a way of fox control in the numbers sense ;)