Mono recommendations.

wellyphant

You would have to catch a 100lb cat to find out how hard they pull back Tigger.

Someone once said that the breaking strain of a line is reached when the angler runs out of patience.

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

If you can drag a 100lb cat out of a weedy swim with 14lb line the cat doesn't sound like it pulls back very hard.

Regardless of how hard they pull, I don't see why you shouldn't be able to land a big cat on 14lb line if it's only weed. You can't put anywhere near 14lb of pressure on your line with the sort of tackle normally considerd sporting for freshwater use and thin line will cut through weeds a lot easier than thick line will.

A 10lb carp landed on a 1.4lb hooklink would barely raise an eyebrow and few people would say that carp don't fight.

Rocks, logs or other abrasive things that the line might come into contact with are of course another matter.

FWIW, I rather doubt that Dave was targeting the cats on 14 lb line, just as most people wouldn't, target carp with light hooklinks.

Edited by Ken L

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

TBH I was fishing for carp. Size 6 hook to 15lb amnesia hooklink and 14lb Sakuma main line. The part of the lake I was fishing wasn't particularly weedy. The part of the lake, some distance away where the cat had decided to visit, turned out to be weedy. It was a tense half hour. It wasn't a particularly good hook hold either so there was almost certainly an element of luck involved. Either way, the line performed perfectly well and costs less than half the price of "carp" line.

Regardless of how hard they pull, I don't see why you shouldn't be able to land a big cat on 14lb line if it's only weed.

I don't understand why you say "only weed" Ken. I've found that if even a small fish get's into a weed bed there's no getting it out, ok with strong enough line you might get your end tackle back but chances are you'll have to pull so hard that you'll pull /rip the hook from the fishes mouth first.

Sportsmans fish can't have been amongst any amount of weed or weed that's rooted into the ground.

I've had double figure carp on pound bottom in a water with no snags, you just have to take your time, but there are other waters I've fished where it is hit & hold or lose the fish in snags.

Judging by the amount of loose weed left floating on the surface afterwards I would say that the weight of the fish cut through the weed.

All,

Maybe another thread but recent comments beg the question, "when is enough enough" when it comes to "playing" a fish - especially in the warmer months.

Phone

I'm in the heavy line category - land and release

I don't understand why you say "only weed" Ken. I've found that if even a small fish get's into a weed bed there's no getting it out, ok with strong enough line you might get your end tackle back but chances are you'll have to pull so hard that you'll pull /rip the hook from the fishes mouth first.

Sportsmans fish can't have been amongst any amount of weed or weed that's rooted into the ground.

You may be surprised. A barbel going into weed on float gear and a three pound bottem is a problem. A 15 lb pike does the same thing on 20lb braid and it cuts through it like a hot knife through butter.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

All,

A fish should have a very similar density to the water it swims in. Archimedes' principle states that the buoyant force on an object is equal to the weight of the water it displaces.

A fish weighs ZERO in the water.

Strength and durability are genetic issues.

Phone