Centre pin reel fishing

Sussex

LOL Brian....can you re-write that in english, you've lost me lol...what's a divvy champ?

LOL I remember when Japanese egg-beater reels first came to the UK and the "instruction leaflets" that came with them.

Paragraph after paragraph of pidgin English gobbledegook, each paragraph ending with the phrase "all go happy fish"

We got the message though.........

• Like 1

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

LOL I remember when Japanese egg-beater reels first came to the UK and the "instruction leaflets" that came with them.

Paragraph after paragraph of pidgin English gobbledegook, each paragraph ending with the phrase "all go happy fish"

We got the message though.........

Its not much different now if you buy direct from china LOL

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Your lake must have a serious drift problem and/or some strong underwater springs John Lol.

Seriously though, although I agree to a certain degree with Marks view I still get a lot more enjoyment when I'm using a pin for long trotting and find it a lot more fun when playing a decent sized fish.

Keith

You know what I mean :D Anyway the lake does have a bit of a slope to it. During matches they have runners carrying buckets of water back to the high end :crazy:

• Like 1

John S

Quanti Canicula Ille In Fenestra

Species caught in 2017 Common Ash, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, White Willow.

Species caught in 2016: Alder, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Crab Apple, Left Earlobe, Pedunculate Oak, Rock Whitebeam, Scots Pine, Smooth-leaved Elm, Swan, Wayfaring tree.

Species caught in 2015: Ash, Bird Cherry, Black-Headed Gull, Common Hazel, Common Whitebeam, Elder, Field Maple, Gorse, Puma, Sessile Oak, White Willow.

Species caught in 2014: Big Angry Man's Ear, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Common Whitebeam, Downy Birch, European Beech, European Holly, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, Wych Elm.
Species caught in 2013: Beech, Elder, Hawthorn, Oak, Right Earlobe, Scots Pine.

Species caught in 2012: Ash, Aspen, Beech, Big Nasty Stinging Nettle, Birch, Copper Beech, Grey Willow, Holly, Hazel, Oak, Wasp Nest (that was a really bad day), White Poplar.
Species caught in 2011: Blackthorn, Crab Apple, Elder, Fir, Hawthorn, Horse Chestnut, Oak, Passing Dog, Rowan, Sycamore, Willow.
Species caught in 2010: Ash, Beech, Birch, Elder, Elm, Gorse, Mullberry, Oak, Poplar, Rowan, Sloe, Willow, Yew.

You know what I mean :D Anyway the lake does have a bit of a slope to it. During matches they have runners carrying buckets of water back to the high end :crazy:

You really shouldn't be fishing the Irish Water Skiing lake!

They all have a slope but only on big ones do you notice it .

Also if a lake is stream fed theres current but not always downstream ,wd limed ours once and over a few hours the colour crept up the lake towards the inlet ,the inlet water was obviously going down one side and some returning up the other in a circular motion

We also get a wave like motion in one drain when theres a breeze ,you can see the water flowing in then receding, its not a positive effect when autumn comes leaves get compacted in so hard you can walk on them so we made a little dam which lets the water go through but stops the leaves as its a nightmare to get them out of the drain basin

The dam isnt high just 6" out of the water level so if theres a lot of rain the water can run full speed over it and out of the drain

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

• 3 weeks later...

MMMmmmmmmmmmmmm Centrepins.

I have nothing else to add.

Except that I have 4.

A very very old Grice & Young which belonged to my Late Dad, which I still use quite a lot +, 2 Leeds Type & a Grice & Young Seajecta11 (2 roman numerals)

Not sure where the "Sea" bit comes from - it's a course fishing reel. (That one I bought on fleabay & not really fond of!!)

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!

I've watched John Wilson fishing with "The Pin" & I've noticed he uses it with the Line coming off the Bottom of the reel!!

I've ALWAYS used mine with the Line loaded so it comes off the TOP - ie parallel with the rings!!

I find this way much better when Trotting AND "Batting IN"!!

The 2 handles on the Rim, are only really used to wind in a good fish near to the Net!!

Thumb/Palm pressure is usually enough to play even the biggest fish.

My Dad wouldn't let me have a fixed spool till I'd learned the pin.

Thanks Dad, if you're looking down. :bye2:

Edited by Martin56

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!

• 1 month later...

Just joined...I've used a 'pin on an off for a while. For trotting the right pin makes it enjoyable, but I know some that use a fixed spool equally skilfully.

For myself, I like using a pin for fishing close in, I don't say it's 'better', just that I enjoy it and prefer the closer contact with the fish.

(I've two Kingpins, a Leeds Trotter, an old Adcock and a Harlow).

I do think many center-pins are stupidly overpriced, most are made on CNC machines, and there's little to chose between a £400 pound reel and a £100 reel in reality .

><((('> ·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`

¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯ ><((('>

Welcome to Anglers' Net. Glad to have you with us.

• Like 1
" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President