Eyed or spade end hooks....

Tigger

This is being discussed on another forum (not by me) and i'm quite surprised at the comments being made.

There is a surprising amount of people who have no trust in spade end hooks, saying they cut through the line, and who think they give no better presentation than an eyed hook.

Personally I think the spade end hook does give way better presentation and if tied as it should be the spade simply doesn't cut through the line.  I never have a problem using spade ends and much prefer them for trotting, or even still water use where a hair rig isn't being used.

I’m in agreement with you Ian, when tied correctly spades are secure and give a much better presentation than eyed hooks; especially when using smaller hooks and baits.

I do used eyed hooks in the larger sizes for burying into luncheonmeat, or when using  heavier lines, or when using a hair rig, but most of my hooks have spade ends and I can’t remember ever having a spade cut through my line

(famous last words :)).

I think that the guys on the other forum that are insisting that spades cannot be as secure as eyed hooks; and that spades don’t give a superior presentation compared to eyed hooks; couldn’t have won or been placed in many matches (other than the odd Carp match), or maybe they just don’t seem to care as much about their bait presentation.

Keith

Edited by BoldBear

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

I've only been using spade end hooks for about 16yrs and always slagged them off up until then. The real reason for slaggiing them off was because I was repeating the nonsense that i'd been told about them and because I didn't know how to tie one on lol.

My m8 showed me how to tie one and since that day i've always used them.

The way they hang on the line, how the line comes away from them, how the knot is hidden along the shank etc is imo all way better than an eyed hook.  

If I tie on an eyed hook nowadays it just looks awful and that's not because i've made a shitty job of the knot.  I usually use a palomar or a uni/grinner and they're both nice neat knots but being plonked on top of the eye just doesn't look good.

• Like 1

All,

A couple things.  First, I believe only the sophisticated  and more intelligent English fish can tell the difference. Most of our fish can't even read.

Second, I do believe spade end hook uses a little less metal in it's formation, and offers a less bulky connection to the line. In very small sizes, this can offer a slightly more natural presentation. Eyed hooks are a little easier to tie, and can be stronger, so are universally popular for larger sizes.

Actually, at least over here it is called a "snell knot" and used by a goodly number of older anglers (1 or 2 %).

Phone

I don't tie hooks anymore but, when I did, I could also tie them perfectly well by hand. (without a hook tying device)

Yes I've used hook tiers as well & also made them from a wooden spring clothes peg with a panel pin (head nipped off) knocked in the side to loop the line around & the front of the peg flattened off for a closer grip on the hook bend.

Spade End wins hands down for plain hooks to Nylon. 

Make sure the line finishes on the INSIDE of the shank as spade ends turn outwards & so can otherwise cut the line.

Like this ........ (for anyone new to spade end tying) OK the line looks thick, - maybe for Demo' purposes?

Edited by Martin56
  • Like 1

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!

I've never used one of those hook tyers, I manage ok by hand.  I know it's not a race but to be honest I think I can tye them much quicker by hand.

Handy vid for people wanting to use a tyer Martin :thumbs:.

I'm amazed at the comments people are posting on the other forum, claiming the spade cuts through the line, the line should go behind the spade etc.....bonkers comes to mind!

Edited by Tigger
  • Like 1

Let 'em get on with it Ian, the guys on this forum can tie spade end hooks - End of!! :clap2:

Edited by Martin56
  • Like 2

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!

Spades for the small stuff every time.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

You could lose a finger with spade end hooks! The discussion went on and on and became silly. Even I'm trying to tie them albeit with the aid of a  tyer. You have been alluded to Ian in dispatches.