Is it time to close the airports yet Dave?

Ken L

I just saw a very valid point made regarding the SARS comparisons on TV that make this look like a small problem.
It pointed out that the case and death counts for SARS are whole event numbers whereas for this, the number of cases is currently undergoing logarithmic expansion and the death count is a week to 10 days behind that.
Assuming that anybody is going to be knocking on doors and looking for bodies, we need to look at deaths as a proportion of the number of cases that there were identified a week ago, and not as a proportion of current cases.
We still don't have any real idea of how bad this could get but my gut tells me that this going to get very, very bad - so stock up and prepare.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Plenty of stock but no masks lol

We know the electricity grid has emergency backups but do they continue to work when the dial watchers are choking on their own vomit in the canteen?

Having 3 freezers and only the option of running 1 for a couple of days in a blackout isnt an advantage and generators far to expensive to buy 'just in case'

Fridges are no problem i have two that run on calor gas and at a pinch one could be turned to its lowest and freeze everything in it ,hopefully the end comes in the winter lol

Two confirmed cases in UK

Makes me laught NHS 'having robust infe ction control' IE person feeling unwell goes to a crowded hospital and sits in a stuffy waiting room for 4 hours with lots of people with broken legs and bad backs!What they should be doing is invite these people to go to a shed far from other people for evaluation!

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

ayjay,

In your frustration you indeed missed more than a few (swine flu). But that's not important.  The gist of my post is your request the Chinese get it sorted. """"About 14.6 million babies were born in China in 2019, according to the National Bureau of Statistics. That was a nearly 4 percent fall from the previous year, and the lowest official number of births in China since 1961""""

IMO the population of the far East is beyond the tipping point without major catastrophic  events. maybe more than one

Phone

We were planning on going to York on Sunday for the ice sculpture exhibition, but I'm not too sure about going now. I wish the powers that be would tell us the whole story instead of just bits. We know the infected couple stayed in the Staycity hotel, and were taken to Hull, and then on to quarantine in Newcastle. How long had they been in the UK, or York, where they had travelled from, or where they had been before? I know the risk of infection is very low, but we're told that the infection is contagious even before the symptoms show, so there is a reasonable chance that they could have infected hundreds of people during their stay. The longer they have been here, the more chance of passing on the virus. Having just got my COPD under control, and at my age, I doubt I would stand much of a chance of fighting off the virus, plus I have a 4 year old grandson who was born with Noonans syndrome, who means the world to me. Logic tells me the chances of contracting it are minute, but a part of me asks is it worth the risk? The coming days, and weeks will provide a clearer answer, but for now I'm erring in the side of caution.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Gozzer,

Regardless of the odds it's 100% someone will win the lottery.

I really doubt they know much they could tell you. Virulence, infective dose, modes of transmission, morbidity and mortality rates and more.  What they ARE telling you is what similar infective pathogens do.

Phone

30 minutes ago, Phone said:

Gozzer,

Regardless of the odds it's 100% someone will win the lottery.

I really doubt they know much they could tell you. Virulence, infective dose, modes of transmission, morbidity and mortality rates and more.  What they ARE telling you is what similar infective pathogens do.

Phone

I do realise all that phone, but it's fairly new territory to most of us over here, and as such I'm more concerned than I would normally be.

On a lighter note...….While watching TV earlier it was pointed out that the UK citizens who were flown in from China today travelled from the airport to the quarantine building by coach. The coach company was called 'Horseman' and there were four of them. Make of that what you want.:unsure::o 

John.

• Haha 1

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

59 minutes ago, gozzer said:

I do realise all that phone, but it's fairly new territory to most of us over here, and as such I'm more concerned than I would normally be.

On a lighter note...….While watching TV earlier it was pointed out that the UK citizens who were flown in from China today travelled from the airport to the quarantine building by coach. The coach company was called 'Horseman' and there were four of them. Make of that what you want.:unsure::o 

John.

:o Wer' all Doooomed.

Edited by Martin56

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!

If the information in this video is anywhere near correct, it's bl00dy terrifying.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Ken,

Why wouldn't it at least be possible? Improbable but possible.

You're a fair weather fan. I thought sure you would stay with Ebola

Thinning  is natures way just try not to be part of it.  Humans prefer eradication

Phone

Probably at this very moment in a laboratory somewhere corona and ebola are being combined and evaluated as the next weapon of choice ! We just dont learn by mistakes!

In simpler less complicated times it was this :rolleyes:

https://mobile.twitter.com/brumpic/status/808385282575831040

Edited by chesters1
  • Sad 1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson