Timsbury AN Annual Grayling fish in

Tony U

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone know what the fine fellows at Timsbury would make of me using such horribly unsporting and common techniques as droppers and sight indicators on the fly gear?

I don't want to have the dogs set on me.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

I was considering using a nymph fished under a dry fly - google "klink and dink" or "new zealand style".

I don't know, a couple of trips to Farmoor with you in the spring and I'm now a complete oik asking about using sight indicators on the hallowed banks of the Test* :rolleyes:

(*because you were catching trout and I was blanking traditionally!)

I had one little trout on the fly last time but I don't think I was fishing properly. I think I'll be better prepared this time, and small grayling on light fly gear will be much more fun than small grayling on the trotting outfit...

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

I don't know, a couple of trips to Farmoor with you in the spring and I'm now a complete oik asking about using sight indicators on the hallowed banks of the Test* :rolleyes:

(*because you were catching trout and I was blanking traditionally!)

I had one little trout on the fly last time but I don't think I was fishing properly. I think I'll be better prepared this time, and small grayling on light fly gear will be much more fun than small grayling on the trotting outfit...

Try a long leader Czech style. If you are nervy about the ginky floatinng dropper -Im sure it willl be fine by the way - include a tiny bit of floating putty at one or two points on the leader, or round one or two of the knots. It works a treat, even if it gets sunk, you can still see it and it it helps you to see any takes. Apart from the obvious pull - it usually stops, slackens, or - in turbulent water particularly - just looks different.

I will bring my fly gear as well as the trotting gear. We can both have a go at 'em. Anyone else bringing fly gear?

"I want some repairs done to my cooker as it has backfired and burnt my knob off."

Anyone else bringing fly gear?

I have a lovely little lightweight fly set up but I think I've wound the DT line onto the reel from the wrong end of the spool, it didn't have a 'reel end' label and I picked the wrong end. Is casting a couple of red maggots on fly gear cricket?

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

I have a lovely little lightweight fly set up but I think I've wound the DT line onto the reel from the wrong end of the spool, it didn't have a 'reel end' label and I picked the wrong end. Is casting a couple of red maggots on fly gear cricket?

If it's DT it shouldn't matter - I always used to turn mine round to get more life out of them when I used DT. Most of my fly fishing's on reservoirs these days so I've only got WF loaded at present though, and all my outfits are a bit heavy for the Test. I'm planning to build a lightweight river outfit for next year though, probably an eight foot #4 rod.

Will

Unless it allready had backing attached you couldnt really have put it on the wrong way round.As Will says the idea of the double taper is so you can reverse them once worn.

Every time I go to Timsbury I put a lightweight fly outfit in just in case the conditions are right..................same as I do the roach gear and a stalking rod and a wobbling rod etc etc! Not a problem as you can just leave them in the car.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Unless it allready had backing attached you couldnt really have put it on the wrong way round.As Will says the idea of the double taper is so you can reverse them once worn.

Oh dear, that means I've lost my casting ability then. I tried it out in the garden and couldn't cast for toffee so I thought I'd reversed the line. So the belly of a DT really is in the middle of the 30 odd yards.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back