Wingham Fish-In

Steve Burke

I have a mixture of carp rods (2.25lb - 2.75lb) and Barbel rods (1.5lb & 1.75lb) and a JW Avon (1.25lb) I was thinking of using the 2 Barbel rods for the method/feeder work (although limited by the casting distance) and the JW for the float work I intend to do during the day.

I thought that the carp rods would be to excessive for the tench and while I can cast to the horizon on them, I have heard that close quarters fishing is the way to go, so feel the barbel rods will offer more sport with the tinka's.

I think I will take 1 carp rod for spodding/feature finding work so I can then use small feeders on the barbel rods.

Really looking forward to this trip!

Ben

Long range fishing (50 yards+) is needed in only a handful of swims at Wingham. So it depends on where I put you. I don't normally put those who haven't been before in long range swims.

I'll be sorting swims out after the closing time of 8pm tonight.

You may want to use light carp rods if you go down the method route. Otherwise barbel rods and a float rod would be a better bet for fishing as opposed to spodding.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The long range weather forecast for the fish-in weekend isn't looking too promising :(

Metcheck is forecasting daytime temps of 6-7 and rain on the Sunday!

Mat

Ignore Metcheck temperatures there are next to useless for Wingham! The wind and rain is usually Ok though.....

Rich

Long range fishing (50 yards+) is needed in only a handful of swims at Wingham. So it depends on where I put you. I don't normally put those who haven't been before in long range swims.

I'll be sorting swims out after the closing time of 8pm tonight.

You may want to use light carp rods if you go down the method route. Otherwise barbel rods and a float rod would be a better bet for fishing as opposed to spodding.

I have bought some small 15gm inline method feeders, to use with my Barbel rods, I can easily chuck out to 25-40 yrds using these as I have done on the Trent.

From a sporting angle I would love to use the barbel rods for tench & bream as I dont want to just haul in the fish on heavy gear.

It looks like I will take everything, so I can be advised on the day!

Ben

In general Ive always found the BBC weather forecast to be quite good for the SE but one day out! eg what ever it gives for Saturday normally comes true on the Sunday! With Wingham this year it seems to be a similar trend but two days out! ie this weekend we got Saturdays forecast weather on Monday! Happens regular enough for me to always take this into account!

We just need the SW winds to kick in for a good while and all will be well!

In my other interest of drag racing it is essential not to have a single drop of rain otherwise racing stops until the track has been prepared again so accuracy is really needed. I used to rate Metcheck and still look at it because they are often in the right direction, however they forecast a washout at easter but apart from the dreadful friday we had a great weekend. I have learnt now not to upset the rest of the household by moping over what my racing weekend might be like 1-2 weeks in advance. Instead I just seeth inside when I see a miserable forecast! :lol:

The best I've been able to cobble together for Wingham weather is to take the temperatures from the BBC and the wind direction and strength, pressure, and rainfall/sunshine from Metcheck. Even then it can be pretty dubious. It's a strange little micro-climate there.

Glyn (baliff and milk monitor) gave me a tip last time I was there - try getting the forecast for Dover rather than Canterbury.

It currently looks pretty crap, but I expect it'll change a dozen times before the big day. To be honest, even if conditions aren't ideal, the whole of May has been cool with mainly NE winds, so it should still fish OK. Much worse to have lovely high temperatures and south-westerlies now and then it changing to cold and north-eatherlies for the fish-in!

If we are very lucky and get warmth and SW winds just at the right time, it will go potty... B)

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

I have bought some small 15gm inline method feeders, to use with my Barbel rods, I can easily chuck out to 25-40 yrds using these as I have done on the Trent.

From a sporting angle I would love to use the barbel rods for tench & bream as I dont want to just haul in the fish on heavy gear.

Ben

The optimum weight of method feeder I've found for Wingham Tench are the 28 or 36 gm versions as I've found you don't get a very good bolt effect if you go any lighter.

With regard to casting these and which rods to choose it depends on the size of the frame. The mini versions are OK on Barbel Rods but I tried the 36 gm maggot method feeders from Fox last season and really struggled to cast them well using 2lb T/C Barbel rods.

Distance isn't the issue I was only fishing at about 40 yards max and was hitting the mark but I felt they were putting way too much strain on the blank when loaded up with feed, I've since used the same feeders with my old 2.25lb T/C Carp Rods and they cast just fine. I've never found these rods overgunned for Tench fishing either and the Tench at Wingham fight well especially when the water is clear.

As an addendum; I'm starting to think it pays to err on the heavy side for a couple of reasons, firstly if you value your rods you don't want to be chucking method balls about that can weigh four ounces on something that could shatter as a consequence. Secondly Wingham is capable of eating even heavy tackle, last season Eel Grass beds appeared from nowhere and there was one in my swim I wasn't aware of at first. I had a tough weekend and managed two Tench and then on the last morning had a screamer of a run from what felt like a very big Tench which proceeded to weed me in the Eel Grass. I just couldn't budge it and after leaving it for a few hours and trying again with no joy had to pull for a break.

A lot of the members use 1.75lb Barbel Rods but quite a few of us have come to the conclusion that you need something with a bit more backbone especially when slinging loaded feeders around. You also need to match your rod to your line strength and again a few of us are using pretty heavy line purely for the better abrasion resistance it gives you over the sharp bars so again the heavier rods come into play here. I must stress that I don't consider 2.25lb Carp Rods as over gunned for Wingham Tench at all.

Edited by Rob Ward

Ben

Ben I reckon your best bet will be with the barbel rods (its more or less what most of us use unless we do want a longer chuck and for 90% of tench situations there Ive not found this necessary) I would look at heavier feeders though my self as you still want a "bolt" effect even when they are empty. I will just check what the lightest ones I use are. Yes they are 30gms.

With a cricket ball sized method ball you cant "punch" them out but a gentle over head lob is all that's required most of the time.In fact I would go as far as to say tench wise its too easy to overcast most of the time! With a goose egg sized ball my Wychwood 1 3/4 barbel rods can comfortably cast 75m. But as I said in my PM I tend to use light mainlines and a heavy shock/rubbing leader.

Best bit of advise I can give to anyone coming to Wingham who isn't 100% with this sort of fishing is simply to not worry! technically it isn't that hard.Positioning your bait in the correct place (as most others have all ready said) is the be all and end all.Listen to Steve,the bailiffs and members and they will be able to point out where this is in most swims.Ask nicely and they will even position your marker float for you!

If your Specimen/Carp orientated then use scaled down carp tactics if your nore match/pleasure orientated then believe me you will be just (if not more so) as likely to catch sat with a quiver tip rod and open feeder set up fishing it as you would any other tench/bream venue,just allow abit heavier gear.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

I would agree with that. Do whatever you're comfortable with, don't feel like you need to fish in a certain way. All methods and all baits will catch fish there, honestly - as long as you're in the right spot.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Glyn (baliff and milk monitor) gave me a tip last time I was there - try getting the forecast for Dover rather than Canterbury.

I usually use Ramsgate as it's also on the Coast but nearer to Wingham than Dover, I always take a look at Canterbury as well and usually find the Wingham weather to be somewhere in between the two!