Wingham Fish-In

Steve Burke

By all means Ben I will be over on the Sat morning.Have you got all the gear?

Hi Budgie,

I have a mixture of carp rods (2.25lb - 2.75lb) and Barbel rods (1.5lb & 1.75lb) and a JW Avon (1.25lb) I was thinking of using the 2 Barbel rods for the method/feeder work (although limited by the casting distance) and the JW for the float work I intend to do during the day.

I thought that the carp rods would be to excessive for the tench and while I can cast to the horizon on them, I have heard that close quarters fishing is the way to go, so feel the barbel rods will offer more sport with the tinka's.

I think I will take 1 carp rod for spodding/feature finding work so I can then use small feeders on the barbel rods.

Really looking forward to this trip!

Ben

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a look at Tinca's a few weeks ago at Wingham. It is a very clever design. I don't think there's any benefit for me personally over a spod, but I can see it's benefits. One drawback that occurred was that, because of the way it's loaded with bait (split down the middle) you can only ever half fill it, so presumably baiting up takes longer and is more disruptive (if putting a lot of bait out)?

One thing, does it work if you feather it down so it lands gently? I find with a conventional spod the only way to get it accurately in the same spot in a heavy side wind it to feather it down to take the bow out of the line. Maybe just my technique is wrong?

Rich

Yes it takes very little to trigger the release mechanism.In fact (according to the instructions) in really strong head winds you might need to "tighten" up the release mechanism a bit.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Hi Budgie,

I have a mixture of carp rods (2.25lb - 2.75lb) and Barbel rods (1.5lb & 1.75lb) and a JW Avon (1.25lb) I was thinking of using the 2 Barbel rods for the method/feeder work (although limited by the casting distance) and the JW for the float work I intend to do during the day.

I thought that the carp rods would be to excessive for the tench and while I can cast to the horizon on them, I have heard that close quarters fishing is the way to go, so feel the barbel rods will offer more sport with the tinka's.

I think I will take 1 carp rod for spodding/feature finding work so I can then use small feeders on the barbel rods.

Really looking forward to this trip!

Ben

I'd go with the 2.25lb carp rods for method feeder work they're better suited and not over gunned for Wingham Tench. I bought a pair of 2lb test curve barbel rods specifically for Wingham and I've found these wanting at times when casting heavy rigs like method feeders or pva bags.

Whilst I agree you will catch in the margins the better catches and biggest fish I've had from Wingham have been fishing the base of the bars and mounds of gravel. You're right in the barbel rods being better suited to margin work though.

Well that sounds familiar Mat, Anderoo will have to get his surfboard out again by the sounds of it :D

Ian

"If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving isn't for you"

The long range weather forecast for the fish-in weekend isn't looking too promising :(

Metcheck is forecasting daytime temps of 6-7 and rain on the Sunday!

Mat

A few hours ago Metcheck was forecasting a lovely warm weekend! In other words it's really too far ahead to be much more of a guess.

Additionally Metcheck's temperatures for Wingham have been way too low for a long time. So much so that I now disregard them. This started when they changed to a new "more accurate" computer model. I e-mailed them but failed to get a satisfactory answer.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

Well that sounds familiar Mat, Anderoo will have to get his surfboard out again by the sounds of it :D

This was my cooking shelter being flattened by the wind last year:

IMG_0293.jpg

:lol:

In general Ive always found the BBC weather forecast to be quite good for the SE but one day out! eg what ever it gives for Saturday normally comes true on the Sunday! With Wingham this year it seems to be a similar trend but two days out! ie this weekend we got Saturdays forecast weather on Monday! Happens regular enough for me to always take this into account!

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!