Fishing terms you do not like.

Dales

I don’t like the term ‘the method’ to describe one method, i.e. the use of a frame feeder for holding ground bait on and a short hook length, as though all other methods are inferior.

Ok it is a very good method,

Ok it will mostly out fish all other methods in use on the lake

and not just for carp.

I’ll get my coat.

take a look at my blog

http://chubcatcher.blogspot.co.uk/

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lolol, that is soooo true Peter, a guy at a local lake a couple of weeks ago said I was daft not using the "method" there. He'd been there before I was but hadn't caught anything, I think he had one 7/8lb mirror carp and a tench on the "method" on both rods. I had 7 carp out from 9-17lb on one rod and loads of skimmers, roach, rudd and a couple of tench on the feeder rod, neither of which were using the "method" :D

Ian

"If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving isn't for you"

Lolol, that is soooo true Peter, a guy at a local lake a couple of weeks ago said I was daft not using the "method" there. He'd been there before I was but hadn't caught anything, I think he had one 7/8lb mirror carp and a tench on the "method" on both rods. I had 7 carp out from 9-17lb on one rod and loads of skimmers, roach, rudd and a couple of tench on the feeder rod, neither of which were using the "method" :D

Bloomin heck Ian havent you learned anything? Its not about what you catch but looking and talking the part that counts mate!.............................

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

This one gets on my wick! “Carp Puddle” – It’s not a puddle, a puddle is a small pool of water, typically rainwater that a 3 year old can usually walk through in their Thomas the Tank engine wellies!! And more often than not the “Carp Puddle” has most other course fish in which I would much prefer to catch!

That’s my 2 pennies worth! :D

Stooby...

Carp puddles

I quite like this one because that's exactly what they are,,,stupid little holes dug in a field(mostly donut shaped)filled with water,F1's and opened immediately as fisheries..Horrible places where unimaginitive pole anglers offer a hooker pellet under an uncastable float 3" away from an island or 'far' bank(about 16 meters away).

After a couple of years or so these muddy holes might start to mature,,maybe a few blades of grass might start appearing around the lovely concrete slabs they call pegs,a lovely setting for tapping the surface of the pond with the end of your pole and hooking another lipless fish,,great fun..

I have been reading a few more angling publications recently then I would normally do mainly because I have been trudging around London to various meetings and they are slightly more interesting to read then the meeting papers when traveling on the bus or tube.

The articles are always fairly cliched affairs with the same phrases and terms repeated over and over again. But there is one phrase that makes my blood boil and want to do serious mischief to the writer or even worse an another angler who I may say it to me face to face and its the term

BAGGED UP

However it is used it winds me up, I dont know why but I just hate it and its made worse if it comes with the phrase "tonne up"

I bagged up big time, had a bagging session, bagged a tonne :angry: I hate them all.

Oddly I do not mind anglers saying they caught a nice mixed bag of fish, but bagging aaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Any angling phrases, terms get on your wick?

Hello Mr Dales, :)

I couldn't agree with you more, the word 'baggin' & its close derivatives get on my wick anall!

Another one which gets up my nose, from the world of cricket this time, is the term 'batter' for batsman & another annoying term 'four-for' meaning four wickets [for a bowler] in an innings. Why don't they all speak properly instead of trying be so damn clever? <_<

Now, onto something similar. When one hears, or uses, such terms as "Whatever floats your boat" or perhaps "He/She is a few sandwiches short of picnic" [both make me laugh, they really do!] what is such a term called. Is it a cliche, is it a euphenism [?], what is proper term for such as these two, and many more like them? Another one, in terms of job redundancies, "They're currently shaking the fruit off the lower branches" meaning the lower paid & most dispensable are out of the door. Cruel I know, but one cannot help but smile. :)<_<

Getting back to angling. Who was the joker [Had to be the EU] who changed the line classification from 'lbs breaking strain' to 'line diameter'? I know we now operate using the metric system, but being in the later years of my life I find that line diameter is meaningless whilst 'lbs breaking strain' can, at least, be related to the weight/size of a fish.

What do you all think but?

Regards, :)

Mr H.

Who was the joker [Had to be the EU] who changed the line classification from 'lbs breaking strain' to 'line diameter'? I know we now operate using the metric system, but being in the later years of my life I find that line diameter is meaningless whilst 'lbs breaking strain' can, at least, be related to the weight/size of a fish.

What do you all think but?

Regards, :)

Mr H.

I agree and much prefer to know the braking strain of my line ...but I also like to know the diameter of said line.

RE the Bristol Stool Chart...

I had never heard of this chart before, so that's something new I have learned today.

You guys can laugh but the guy who sits next to me at work has this pinned to his wall, also my missus is a nurse on a colo-rectal ward. I don't ask "anything interesting happen at work today dear?" over dinner anymore.....

Rich

Here's a phrase that irritates me.

"Horrible places where unimaginitive pole anglers offer a hooker pellet under an uncastable float 3" away from an island or 'far' bank(about 16 meters away)."

used to describe an angler who doesn't fish the way you think is "proper" <_<

Edited by Sportsman

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/