The end is nigh for livebaiting nationally!!!!

phil hackett

Dave Lumb:

If the ban was genuinely aimed at conserving vendace and charr why wasn't it accompanied by legislation/efforts to: remove existing populations of unwanted fish species; stop charr being sold by anglers; reverse the ecological changes that threaten the habitats?

Dave

A very good point, does anyone have the answer?

There seems to be some feeling that many Pike anglers have brought this on themselves by moving fish form one water to another, does anyone believe that those anglers will now stop and respect the new laws?

In a few months/years when the fuss had died down and the bayliffs visits have ceased, everything will be back to normal and buckets of Crucians & Rudd will be making the trip back up the M6.

A sensible approach would have been for the alien species to be netted (protecting the rare species) and then sold on to anglers to use as bait at the venue they came from. Everyone would have been happy and the EA would have been able to finance this from the sale of baits.

The way they have gone about it would be similar to the government decidng they cant stop people speeding so lets just ban cars, problem solved.

Scott.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Perhaps Greg and anyone ese who supports the EA's action would care to answer these 2 questions?

1) Do you think that livebaits should be banned on waters that don't hold vendace?

2) Do you think that coarse deadbaits should be banned on these waters?

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

Steve,

Although this question is not pertinent to the ruling:

1) Yes.

2) No.

Paul

quote:

Originally posted by Tinca61:

Although this question is not pertinent to the ruling:

]

That's pecisely the point - it is pertinent to the ruling! Livebaits and coarse deadbaits have been banned in the Lake District even on waters that don't hold vendace!

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

I found this on another forum:

I have heard in the past couple of days that the number of EA bailiffs in the Northern and Southern areas ... all the lakes effectively is to be reduced to 10. This is not confirmed but was from a pretty sound source.

I have said all along that a ban such as this is to make the EA's life easier. If the rules are simpler by banning a complete bait type irrespective of whether they are alive or dead, caught here or whatever, then policing will be simpler. My worry was that with the introduction of such a ban, and I have voiced this to various folks, that the EA hierachy would say "Case Solved ... they can't use freshwater baits so that is the policing problem reduced" and then streamline the bailiffs. This may be so which is very bad news. Bailffs do alot more then check licences and baits ... to reduce the numbers of them is to reduce the EA's overall effectiveness against all manner of threats to fisheries in general.

I guess we will have to wait and see if its true, if it is will it be repeated throughout the country?

I know many people here think the EA do wonderfull work, perhaps they do but what will they be able to do with less people?

Scott.

Between this and the anti-hunting threads, I really wonder if there will be any fishing at all allowed on your fair island within 10 years or so.

It really is stunning to see such division even within such a similar group as pike/perch fisherman.

Wag:

Remember the story about the Nazis

With all due respect to pike fishermen, I think comparing the banning of live/deadbaits with the holocaust is obscene.

If you take fishing that seriously you need to get a better sense of perspective!

Oh come on Wag, Vagabond certainly wasn't comparing the banning of live and dead baits with the holocaust! He was just showing how, if you ignore the plight of other parties, you yourself might well be in need of support at later date. I have said in the past - along with many others of course - that for angling to survive, all anglers have to support each other. However much you might dislike some forms of angling, you have to be ready to support it as vehemently as you would fight for your particular branch of it. If you do not, what Vagabond says in his last line will come true. "Why doesn't someone do something?" Because those you have let fall by the way side are no longer there to help you.

Politicians are not responsible for a country's rise to greatness; The people are.

The people are not responsible for a country's fall to mediocrity; the politicians are.

Steve,

Sorry didn't make myself clear on this one (due to the Brandy..!!) Of course the questions are pertinent to the ruling in general. I meant these responses were my own feelings regardless of the rulings. However, the coarse deadbaits one is a close call for me because of the introduced diseases issue in these areas.

Paul

chevin:

chevin:

Remember the story about the Nazis

With all due respect to pike fishermen, I think comparing the banning of live/deadbaits with the holocaust is obscene.

If you take fishing that seriously you need to get a better sense of perspective!

Oh come on Wag, Vagabond certainly wasn't comparing the banning of live and dead baits with the holocaust! He was just showing how, if you ignore the plight of other parties, you yourself might well be in need of support at later date. I have said in the past - along with many others of course - that for angling to survive, all anglers have to support each other. However much you might dislike some forms of angling, you have to be ready to support it as vehemently as you would fight for your particular branch of it. If you do not, what Vagabond says in his last line will come true. "Why doesn't someone do something?" Because those you have let fall by the way side are no longer there to help you.

Chevin, in reality you are right. But don't you think a less tasteless comparison could have been chosen?