At wot age did you first pick up a rod?

chris mc

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like a few people I think I was 7 when I started. Didn't have a fishing father so went along my own path, learning as I went.

First fish was a gudgeon from the Staffs/Worcs canal at The Bratch in Wombourne. Remember it as if it was yesterday - even though I'm now 42. :)

Check out my weekly Angling Journal at.....Stewart Bloor's Angling Journal

Started fishing at 7 years old, with my Dad. Fished for about 10 years (not constantly!) until I found women, beer and rock'n'roll. Took it up again a couple of years ago at the tender age of 40, and am 'hooked' again. Why did I ever stop?

Terry

My dad never fished! The first experience I had of fishing was when I went with lad from school, aged about 10, and he only caught a Stickleback, which to my disgust he killed with a rock, took home and apparently put in a sandwich!!!

I officially started at the age of about 22! I am 30 now. My girlfriend's dad fishes a lot, and so I used to go when we visited them, initally just as a way of avoiding her mother more than anything else! I got hooked when we went to Cornwall with them and we caught loads of Mackerel and Garfish :) , and since then have gone fishing on the canal in Wiltshire with him and my brother in law whenever I go down there.

I am glad I got into it, as my son Jack has been fishing now since he was about 4 and he's now become a really good little fisherman. :)

www.myspace.com/boozlebear

i was about 10 i think im now 16. i went with my grandad who set me an old rod up first, i had 5 gudgeon before he had set up his pole, i went with my grandads for a few years then lost intrest for a few years and got backinto fishing lastyear when a mate of mine wanted a go.

stewart the veryfirst place i went was also on the staffs/worcs canal near wombourne, i fish dimmingsdale locks regular now but thats because i only live 5 minutes away by car, i wonder how many others got hooked there???

hmmmm really

When I was a kid growing up in Aberdeen (am totally Anglicised now) we used to WALK to the old, derelict 'Shakkin Briggie' on the river Dee and catch minnows, sticleback, trout, eels, salmon and even flatfish. Happy, idyllic days, I wonder if that old bridge is still there.

Mmm, think I was 16, fished for 10 years then work commitments forced me out for 7/8 years

Ian

"If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving isn't for you"

Think about 8 then stopped for 2 years then started it again when i was 12 with half a beach caster and an old fixed spool reel sellotaped onto the rod. Great times they were getting up at 6 am to go out all day catching minnows and gudgoen!! lol