Fishing chair: A design for everyone

Akoo

What is missing is a chair you can fish a pole off without backache.

tried a few and non were perfect ?

It is usually the size of the back to the chair that can make them and arse to use a pole on. Would something like This not achieve what you are looking for? I always sit on a box with the pole as I cant bear to have my shoulders or arms impeded by the back of a chair if I am moving the pole about or playing a fish.

For any web design needs check out http://www.chiptenwebsites.co.uk

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've tried the chairs like JV's dog is sitting on. Fine for lakes with level banks, useless for the rivers. Shame as they are very light and comfortable. They are also built cheaply and break quickly.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

What is missing is a chair you can fish a pole off without backache.

tried a few and non were perfect ?

I have world class back problems and regularly fish the pole from my Korum chair with no problems.

I use Preston off box over and under rests.

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

Interesting project-wonder if it will come to fruition? It needs to be a reality pretty quickly for anyone of us to reap the benefits of such a dream chair. Having said this, my opinion is that the chair's weight and height adjustment is as important as individual comfort. The idea of something that operates on the principal of car seat structure is a good basis to start, then to consider lightweight materials for padding and framework. Titaniumlike durability comes to mind, with ease of use, ie: it doesn't take you a moment to erect.

My practical advice would be to get out on the banks, get a feel for the sport, a feel for how anglers think, get into their hearts and minds-research is the best tool of an inventor-and then go from there. If you travel up and down the Country and talk to various fishing organisations, especially the disabled contingent, you might come up with a universal chair with individual adaptations for variations. A product with a future!

Thanks for reading this.

Tight lines,

Lindax

Hi guys,

I am an engineering student in Sheffield and doing a project to design a fishing chair/bed which could fulfill everyone's needs. I wish to design a dynamic system for the chair which can adapt to the fishing situation e.g. the fishing location. It would be helpful if you guys can pop up your feedback about the chair you used to have or currently use right now particularly about what you dont like about your chair.

Would you prefer to use a chair or bed or maybe both (chair that comes with additional component and could be changed to bed)?

I'll appreciate it if you guys could help me. Thanks a lot.

Faiz

I had no intention of offering anything to this thread as I am a long way from the normal angler. However someone mailed me a couple of times and asked me to add to the thread. I am not sure I can but here goes. Please remember I am trying to consider the chair from the average anglers point of view rather than solely on a personal level or point of view.

What would I look for in a chair if I was the average angler:

I prefer to fish flowing water streams, rivers, canals, yet I do fish still water on and off and have even fished commercials a few times and no I do not like fishing platforms, although I can see the need and use for them.

1. Lightness and strength - actually an easy request to fill with today’s technology - although none do preferring to concentrate on profits first.

2. Adjustable legs essential to any serious river angler – I often fish places with steep and or uneven banks where I have to had the rear legs on one of my chairs folded under just using the front legs although possibly with removable feet with a place for the feet to be fixed directly under the back so as to prevent that sinking feeling on one side or the other.

3. The legs need to be easily adjustable - but designed in a way that does not mean anglers are having trouble securely fixing the legs after just a couple of seasons.

4. Wide feet on the legs – they need to be slightly movable to meet various slope conditions, yet strong possibly even with wider feet offered as an extra.

5. A comfortable fixing for those who carry their chair on their back when hunting or moving from swim to swim - even if offered as an extra as not everyone would want it and the few that did so long as the chair is designed for ease of backpack style carrying they would be happy paying a few extra pounds for the padded straps. While those who would never use this facility would resent paying for straps they would never use. I for one always use a trolley except for the few occasions I just carry a rod and landing net having all I need in my pockets, on those occasions I have an old fold up stool dating back to the 1960’s or early 1970’s which I fix with a bit of Velcro to my belt.

6. A reclining back - sure many of our younger anglers will not see this as a real need however one must consider the vast majority of anglers are in point of fact over 45 and the younger ones will get there quicker than they expect…hehehe

7. A windproof back as I know from many friends they complain about getting a cold back – perhaps with small windproof fold out sections to save cold draughts, it would certainly often alleviate the need for carrying an umbrella in gusty or windy conditions.

8. A padded seat not so important but it must be comfortable and wide enough for many sizes…before anyone wonders I have a very small rear tight and extremely well muscled…hehehe

9. I have heard several friends complaining that the bar at the front of the seat cuts into their legs after a couple of hours. Often anglers lean forward concentrating on their floats when trotting.

10. A high back – I am only 5’ 9” (175cms) but every one of my taller friends I have noticed choose chairs with high backs – Toady Warning the first time I used my Korum deluxe I fell asleep on it (although in fairness I was only trying it out for a couple of hours in my back garden on a warm sunny afternoon)…hehehe

11. Fixing for all the many extra’s currently available - I am certain I echo the thoughts of many here in that we would love to see a standardisation in size and fixing of the many accessories and having used both round and square I personally prefer square, with an adapter to take an umbrella (what do you expect from a Toad with 3 different Korum chairs)…yes tackle tart…not really just to suit my bodies varying needs at different times, I actually have 5 chairs and am thinking I might have to get a sixth.

12. Most important of all a chair is quite a large expense for many and they would not want to have to be buying a new chair every two or three seasons. Until I reached my 60’s I used a Steadfast jumbo bag/seat which I bought in 1981 or 1982, before that a Stephens jumbo bag/seat both were used for many years and both are still good and useable. (I might be open to offers…hehehe).

13. Perhaps a camo version available as an extra for those who love camo – me I would just produce it completely in drab olive green. A thing where I feel many manufacturers miss out due to them using designers who may be good at design making something look pretty and attractive for potential customers but a drab olive green chair and accessories would please many. Chairs more are about functionality rather than looking pretty.

14. Some I know would like a trolley/chair I have been tempted personally but not been that impressed with the one I saw. I did not like the idea of putting a tackle bag which I may have stood in cows excrement or similar on the seat then sitting on it.

15. Bed/chair no I would not think this would be a popular move as beds are for sleeping on during all night sessions whereas chairs are used more by those who just want to fish during the day or for shorter sessions. For my night sessions I used to just take a waterproof sleeping bag but that was a while ago.

Crikey that is a long list, well someone asked for it…hehehe

Edited by watatoad

From a spark a fire will flare up

English by birth, Cockney by the Grace of God

First I must appologise I cut and stuck the wrong post, I had no intention of pouring out any of my problems on any of you, I do most sincerely appologise, I can only say in my defense I was very tired, and I had some posts requesting my input and I did not want to disappoint anyone.

Now back to the chair design, I am certain I must have missed something which some of must spot easily. So come on lets help this request and who knows we may even get better chairs.

From a spark a fire will flare up

English by birth, Cockney by the Grace of God

The reason light chairs are hard to find now is that steel is stronger than aluminium, and makers of lightweight aluminium chairs kept having them broken by heavy anglers, so went back to using steel. Stonger, but heavier.
Alternatively one could use Dural or titanium. Strength of steel or better and light to boot.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

Now back to the chair design, I am certain I must have missed something which some of must spot easily.

It was touched on in a previous post but not really picked up on, hammock style chairs are not really comfortable for longer sessions; a separate seat and back are required.

Alternatively one could use Dural or titanium. Strength of steel or better and light to boot.

Ah, but they also have to be affordable!

The best stalking chair I've ever used is a sturdy, light plastic bucket with a small unhooking mat in it. Weighs nothing and easy to carry. Once at the swim, turn upside down and put unhooking mat on top :)

(Only comfy for about 10 minutes though... :rolleyes: )

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music