Otter

JV44

[/b]

You have to laugh :D .... the prize for the best Oxymoron goes to you.

Thanks, classic

Who's been rattling your bridge mr troll...I thought you'd been banned for having multiple personalities :P .

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well credit where it's due, I read the whole thing and I have to say part of it did really get me thinking...what is the best bankstick?

The rest of it was crap, unfortunately.

Edit - I just read the responses too. I see the windrush and Evenlode get a mention as usual! I suggest that if bob Roberts can't catch a chub from these rivers, otters are the least of his problems! He goes on about mink a lot and their effect on the watervoles, which is all true. Someone should point out what effect natural otter populations have on the non-native mink...e.g. on the windrush...

The piece as a whole reads a bit like an angry pinball machine.

He's a huge hypocrite as well, elsewhere on his blog (November) he slates "aliens" including barbel.....then offers guiding holidays on the River Wye after barbel for £499 a week!...on an otter infested river B)

Edited by Worms

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

I can think of a few 'names' after reading some of his stuff.

http://www.bobrobertsonline.co.uk/more-on-...-and-ostriches/

John.

I've put this to the best use possible, printed it up on nice paper and hung it up in the office toilet for people to do with as they wish ;)

Ian

"If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving isn't for you"

Guest redfin2
Who's been rattling your bridge mr troll...I thought you'd been banned for having multiple personalities :P .

However you said it was a load of 'sh1te' perhaps you might want to add something a bit more other than the usual profanities.

Can you?

I've put this to the best use possible, printed it up on nice paper and hung it up in the office toilet for people to do with as they wish ;)

shame he cant even use the correct wording.

"The one most often observed is the severe decimation or extinction of the prey species."

you cant have severe decimation..decimation is something in and of itself...stemming from the military term for literally having your soldiers kill 1 out of 10 of their own people. it was a form of discipline. the Romans used it by forcing ten soldiers to draw lots and having 9 of them beat or stone the poor guy to death who drew the longest straw!

so you cant have severe decimation....

just to be picky :)

Edited by kirisute

Guest redfin2

Bob Roberts is a mercenary who takes a living from Angling, he has upset so many Anglers who do not share his opinions that I doubt very much anyone will be bothered to give his views any credence at all.

However it is odd that views regarding Otter are so polarised within Angling, you would thing there would be some unity either way, but I am aware that those who condemn the Otter are probably suffering from 'knee jerk syndrome' which if I am honest was a condition I had, but reading on here others views on the matter I am more at ease with Lutra Lutra sharing our fish, and further if it to the detriment of the Mink then so be it.

However those that make a living from Guiding for Barbel might not be so amiable, and perhaps they might suffer the same fate as the Mink?

Not all bad then :D

However it is odd that views regarding Otter are so polarised within Angling,

I agree that a lot of it is "knee jerk reaction" but maybe the reason that it is so "polarised" is that the problem is indeed "polarised"? In other words the "non knee jerkers" who are objecting to Otters actually do have a problem with them in their area and the rest of us who dont have a problem with them in our areas cant empathise because of this?

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Guest redfin2
I agree that a lot of it is "knee jerk reaction" but maybe the reason that it is so "polarised" is that the problem is indeed "polarised"? In other words the "non knee jerkers" who are objecting to Otters actually do have a problem with them in their area and the rest of us who dont have a problem with them in our areas cant empathise because of this?

Depends on what you mean by 'problem' I guess, as far as rivers are concerned, they have a foothold in all I guess, but it is the smaller Rivers that will show the effects of Otter predation due to the intimate nature of The Teme, Ouse and the like.

As far as the decline in Barbel numbers are concerned, I from a personal point of view will have to adjust, but the flip side is that we might have a more diverse species habitat, and it is a fact the Barbel has been too invasive in recent years.

But as I said previously we are talking of the man's living here

Do you not have Otters in your neck of the woods?