Pike Anglers: Compulsory Courses?

AddictedToScopex

Pike Course  

51 members have voted

1. 1. As an experienced pike angler would you object to having to attend a "handling/Unhooking" course prior to being able to fish a water for pike?

• NO
    • YES

To expand the topic further, as pike are so delicate why is it that after you have gently laid the pike on your very expensive bean bag unhooking mat, unhooked it with surgical precision it is considered perfectly acceptable to do this:

pike.jpg

Now I don't pretend to know much about pike internal anatomy but I am fairly confident that excessive and maintained pressure on the internal organs, as demonstrated in this picture taken at random from PAC News is unlikely to be beneficial.

Maybe some more training to teach people how to safely take the "all important" trophy shot

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There has been quite a bit about bolt rigs for pike. Thing is no matter where the pike is hooked you still need to be able to hold them! and no matter what rig you use there will allways be the chance of it being swallowed so you need to be able to deal with it.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

To expand the topic further, as pike are so delicate why is it that after you have gently laid the pike on your very expensive bean bag unhooking mat, unhooked it with surgical precision it is considered perfectly acceptable to do this:

Many dont Dave.The PAC is a very good organisation but it must be remembered that anyone can join! Just wearing the badge (as sadly I found numerous times on the bank) doesnt automaticly mean the member is competent!

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Sportsman. That is one beautiful pike there . Not trying to proove any point as it would be stupid to do so but i am always interesyed in rigs and baits . What was yours on that occasion.

Sorry guys bit off topic but that is a beauty

There is not one thing different between ideology and religeon

Sportsman. That is one beautiful pike there . Not trying to proove any point as it would be stupid to do so but i am always interesyed in rigs and baits . What was yours on that occasion.

Sorry guys bit off topic but that is a beauty

Sorry but it wasn't me

It was meant to be an illustration of how not to hold a pike.

There has been quite a bit about bolt rigs for pike. Thing is no matter where the pike is hooked you still need to be able to hold them! and no matter what rig you use there will allways be the chance of it being swallowed so you need to be able to deal with it.

Wouldn't disagree with that at all Budgie

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

I don't think anyone is advocating a national scheme (I can't see how that could possibly work), but see this as a club-level (or similar) idea. You'd only need to attend one per club/other water you fish. After that you are free to do what you like. It would have to be compulsory otherwise it would never work, because the ones who feel like they have nothing to learn and who don't seek out advice or help are usually the ones who cause the problems.

Steve doesn't allow pike fishing at all at Wingham, because pike are such an important species for the balance of the water and so easily damaged.

At club level I agree it would no doubt work and be a good idea as you have your club permit to be stamped etc but at stand alone fisheries It would cause a whole lot of hassle and that is where the issues regarding having to take a test at each place come into play. This is one of the main grievances we have seen in this thread. The only way to make it work on a non club level would be the national level in order to avoid having to take a test at every new venue (which may be a lot of new venues for an out and out pike angler) as you can then keep a record of who has passed and have a standard way of proving it.

I totally agree with it on club level as it roots out the people who need help whether they are too proud to ask for it or not. Incidentally I would love to go on one of these courses, I can handle pike confidently but as you say it is better to make sure you are doing it correctly to avoid damage. I am not too proud to admit that I most likely have a lot to learn when it comes to pike as do a lot on here whether they would admit it or not. As an all rounder my pike angling is limited to probably once maybe twice a month at most which means I could not possibly know it all and could pick up a lot of useful tips from the experts who do it a lot more than me.

I guess what has been shown so far by attitudes on here is that on a club level there support for the idea but at a higher level than that people recognise the complications and frustrations that could arise from such a thing.

For any web design needs check out http://www.chiptenwebsites.co.uk

Sorry but it wasn't me

Bugger sorry about that but lovely fish.

It was meant to be an illustration of how not to hold a pike.

Wouldn't disagree with that at all Budgie

Bugger. Sorry mate...What a fish though!

Edited by Hawk

There is not one thing different between ideology and religeon

Bugger. Sorry mate...What a fish though!

It is a fantastic looking fish but seems to be in a very odd location. There is a garden gnome behind him. Bet it was put in the garden pond to deter the otters :D

Edited by AddictedToScopex

For any web design needs check out http://www.chiptenwebsites.co.uk

It would have to be compulsory otherwise it would never work, because the ones who feel like they have nothing to learn and who don't seek out advice or help are usually the ones who cause the problems.

Steve doesn't allow pike fishing at all at Wingham, because pike are such an important species for the balance of the water and so easily damaged.

Why one earth would anyone who feels they have nothing to learn as they have no problems dealing with pike bother seeking help ? total nonsense.

Pike are no more easily damaged than any other species, infact they're much more amicable to being handled than lots of other species...grayling for example.

Why one earth would anyone who feels they have nothing to learn as they have no problems dealing with pike bother seeking help ? total nonsense.

Pike are no more easily damaged than any other species, infact they're much more amicable to being handled than lots of other species...grayling for example.

I don't know how else to say it - hopefully other people understand what I'm trying to say.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music