What scares you when night fishing?

twochay

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glad it isn't just me being a big girl's blouse then! :D

Lol definetly not Steve. I have done that before myself. I was sat down by the river having a great time catching many barbel and thought that I would stay all night bagging up but as the dusk settled and the night began to close in i felt the strange urge to leave and get back to the car. It can make your mind race at times. For me I think it was the fact that I had seen noone else the whole day and as evening set in I realised that I would be on my own in the dark, surrounded by trees and fields and it would be an odd experience as I have only ever night fished with a companion. As you say it does seem to trigger something primal in you to seek refuge as much from the daft thoughts that begin to float through your head uncontrollably. No matter how much you tell yourself that your just being stupid and that you are a well built adult with nothing to fear other than midge bites something seems to draw you away from the bank. Perhaps it is the feeling of being isolated and the fact that thousands of years ago we would have been in great danger to be in the dark alone that triggers this response from your brain. I think my brother lacks this part of the brain as he regularly sits by an eery part of the river alone all night and loves it!

Either way it is a bit silly but I for one wasnt going to stay there and find out why lol. I have been back since and it was fine but it felt like something didnt want me there that night. It was a very peculiar feeling that I have not experienced before. Would have had a great nights fishing there too lol.

For any web design needs check out http://www.chiptenwebsites.co.uk

have to say hands down snakes, they come out of no where and you don't see them until they are on top of you.

Second on the list is gangs, some of the swims I fish are in questionable areas, always have to have mates around, always safer in numbers.

have to say hands down snakes, they come out of no where and you don't see them until they are on top of you.

Second on the list is gangs, some of the swims I fish are in questionable areas, always have to have mates around, always safer in numbers.

Only snakes we really have that could cause a slight annoyance is the adder. Apart from that we only have mossies to fear on the nature front. Plenty of drunks and druggies walking around though lol.

For any web design needs check out http://www.chiptenwebsites.co.uk

I thought you all toted shootin irons round them there parts :)

Just other people and that inexplicable panic from my imagination.

Been fishing with a mate at Horstead Mill on the R Bure, Norfolk and got the supernatural heebee jeebies loads of times. Sometimes scaring each other on purpose would set it off, sometimes it'd just happen to us at the same time and we'd start to freak out. Plenty of suicides there and the like, plus the burnt down ruins of the water mill there don't help.

My personal fave tho is the Crocodile Dundee moment. Like someone else said, we anglers have some fairly heavy duty weaponry disguised as banksticks not to mention knives. Me and aforementioned mate were fishing Woodbastwick boardwalk at night and a random bloke (bit older than us at the time, us being 16/17) threatens us with one of those crappy Victorinox Knives, about 2" long. He wanted our gear etc. Both on queue, we get out our Opinel Knives with razor sharp 8" blades (just been chopping up deads) and mate pipes up, 'thats not a knife, THESE are knives'. Somehow we kept straight faces until he'd legged it.

Used to be wary of the different animals wandering about at night, but my Dad runs this http://foxylodge.yolasite.com/

So I now pester Hedgehogs and remove whatever ticks I find on them with tweezers (gives me something to do lol) and bring catfood for anything that wanders around behind me.

P.S. Don't feed Hedgepigs fish flavoured catfood, it'll kill them.

Renrag

Edited by Renrag39

This Years' Targets:- As many species by lure as possible. Preferably via Kayak. 15lb+ Pike on Lure...

Species Caught 2012- Pike, Perch.

Kayak Launches- Fresh-8 Salt- 0

Kayak Captures- 14 Pike, 1 Perch.

My Website and Blog Fishing Blog, Fishkeeping Information and BF3 Guide.

Foxy Lodge Wildlife Rescue

• 3 weeks later...
I have been discussing what scares us when doing nights with my mate. All sorts of silly things came up including: Ghosts ghost , people, satan demon , rabbits, panthers,lions, tigers, gypsys, murderers :mad: , thieves, tramps alsorts!

However none of these bother me, what does it for me is ........................ RATS!

I am terrified of them! It has affected my 25 years of Carping, it really has. I would love to fish certain waters and fish under my brolly for ease of moving onto fish but i cant, i have to completeley block any gap in my bivvy, i zip up completeley at night, again affecting my fishing. I go to france a couple of times a year but the first thing i ask is "have ya got rats?" If they have I dont go there!(Not that they would tell me when they have!)Bizzareley enough Coypu dont bother me whatso ever!

I always have a radio on at night so i cant here the evil creatures outside and if i do i up and leave doesnt matter what time it is!

If i get a run in the night i rattle the bivvy first and then run out stomping and shouting! Bad or what? My dad thinks it goes back to a time when he was pulling an old chicken coup down on our small holding (I was 7) and there was a nest underneath, they scattred and one run up my leg squeeling, i was hysterical and never recovered from my fear.

I need a shrink! It never stops me going though, i just endure the terror of darkness every night! And as I said i choose venues wiseley, not easy as most have RATS! Ahhhhhhhhhhh!

Anyone else share a fear of rats?

Rats i bloody hate them! :(

Snakes are very terrible. I'm really afraid of meeting them when night fishing. They can bit me and I may die....

Where do you live? I don't think there are any dangerous snakes in the UK.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President