Commercial Fisheries they can't all be bad, can they?

Dales

John, it's to simple to blame the "commercials" for lack of choice. If anything they offer greater choice.

My local fisheries are the river Lea which I fish but it's difficult and has far to many problems to list here but chances are there will be blanks. The other alternative is big weed chocked pits with a few Carp/Tench/Bream all big but a few fish a season is the norm and a number of these places are heart break city. So thats the basis of fishing around here and so any commercials that are dug do offer something different and offer a place where your average Joe can get a bend in their rod. Oddly most anglers really do want to catch its not all about the work effort and pleasent surroundings. So with a catchment of hard pits its no wonder the little commercials have done well around here.

There are a few old pits that have been heavily stocked with Carp in recent years but if they had not been they would just be more rock hard waters catering to a few hardy souls and these have been overstocked by clubs. Most of the newer pits, farm reservouirs and ponds have again been stocked with lots of Carp by angling clubs. It's not the owners of commercials or their waters that are the problem its the direction that most clubs have taken in recent times that is the real issue.

If some one digs a pool in this neck of the woods and stocks it with what ever they want it is an alternative to our natural fishing. Wild pits with low stock are two a penny around here and if thats what is on offer how can you blame someone for wanting to go and catch some fish.

Most people talk fondly of the local Lea but its a poor run down shadow of its former self and every year less and less people want to fish it.

Commercials offer great choice when the "natural waters" leave a lot to be desired.

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

Which proves my point that it's more about 'catching' than anything else Stephen. You're right, it's what the majority seem to want, artificial fishing, with almost a guarantee of catching. It's a sign of todays society. Why spend time doing something, when you can buy results? It's like most marketing ventures.

Was there a need before, or did the likes of Billy Makin create the need?

I hate the media/ad'man driven society we live in, where even the most simple pleasures in life have to be valued in monetary terms, then sold back to the public as a 'new improved' version.

In my opinion, too many people are 'sucked' into instant short term results, with little regard for long term effects. Which brings me to the knock on effect of the escapees on river systems, that too is starting to restrict my choice. Some won't be happy until every piece of water is stocked with 'in fish', at the expense of all the others.

It's all in the name of marketing, and a sheep like following from many anglers who know little else, so just follow the trend.

I realise that it's too late to do anything about it, especially when it has the backing of the big tackle companies, and the likes of the Angling Trust, and even the lax attitude of the EA. What chance do I, a grumpy old git have against such opposition? No chance at all, but it won't stop me moaning about it, or waiting for the chance to say "I told you so", when it all goes to pot!

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Good thread this.

If you get to a point where you are struggling to have the enthusiasm to get to a venue as you are 90% sure you are not going to catch it’s time to leave especially if it’s a very expensive one as that prays on your mind too. Surroundings do offcoarse and other factors come in but that’s irrelevant really when it comes to thoughts as you get them or you don’t .Blanking when you get there is one thing but thinking blank before you load your car is another ball game all together.

But that’s just me being an average course angler and not a specimen carp angler but even if he gets to that point he must be thinking the same do i want to be a member here. Yes other factors come in but we go to fish and if it’s got you to that stage it’s still not enough.

The only exception for me is places called ‘Rivers’ there is something about flowing water that makes me be even more happy being there and i don’t seem to mind blanking that much so loading the car never seems to be a mental problem but again if it was that it’s irrelevant again if it's a river.

With a day ticket commercial i never get that feeling before i go. I might still blank but i at least enjoyed setting up thinking i will, and let’s not all tar the commercials with noise and bad fishing and busy as you can’t. But others would never even think of loading the car for a commercial. i think it's that feeling before you go fishing .....

• Like 1

There is not one thing different between ideology and religeon

I can get 3 pits of 50 acres plus and loads of the Lea system including Fisheries Green on a local ticket for around £50. the Lea Chub are stuff of legend and every season there are pictures of 7 & 8 lb fish in magazines. Talk to some of these guys and they catch between 0 and 5 fish a season with the best averaging 1 fish in every 7 to 10 trips. Lots will blank full stop, there are estimated to be around 20/30 fish in miles and miles of the Lea. They sit up in the Carthegena weir pool all summer in the No Fishing Zone and then get caught in Autumn/winter up and down the Crown Fishery when they disperse through out the fishery. Most anglers belief that's the stock 20 odd fish and chublets. I belief there must be more but when they get caught they are well known fish. The pits offer even less productive fishing and one Bream guy I know has had 4 fish in 5 years and he fishes a stupid amount of nights and 2 of them where on the same night.

Is this natural fishing? Is it the fishing most pleasure anglers want? But it is what is available for those who want the real deal. So unless you are an out and out specimen hunter it will not appeal. I don't belief that catching is all that most anglers want or care about but as Dave pointed out in his post you need to belief that it is possable. I may have a distorted view as my local river system is one of the worst but if the natural version is poor, its obvious that anglers will look for something else if they want to fish and that is likely to be commercials.

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

Dales

for some reason you have got some pretty bad bits of fishing around you. Yes there are a few head banging waters near me but there are also lots of club waters that offer good catches to the general pleasure angler at a reasonable price. Some have seen plenty of stockings some are natural.

Its only really the small ones that get boosted with bought stock as trying to increase stock in something over 10 acres costs a lot of money to have any real affect.

The river stour local to me can be difficult. General pleasure anglers struggle due to low water levels clear water and predators. There are fish there but they are a bit nervy and hard to catch.

The broads and fens are within driving distance for a days fishing and offer plenty of sport.

None of these waters offer guaranteed big catches but they don't need you to blank ten times on the trot either.

Commercial only actually means making it pay. Most are small dug waters but some are larger and totally natural. These waters are generally for the more specimen angler and charging upwards of £24 for 24 hours.

The small waters stuffed with tiny carp are actually getting less now. Many are allowing the silvers ,roach and skimmers, to thrive as it offers sport all winter and something for the match anglers to book the water for. I think things are maturing and anglers changing back a little from the catch loads of small carp brigade.

If they at least get a young angler or old one for that matter hooked on fishing as his or her skills are gained then they may well progress to different more natural waters knowing they can go and have a bag up session on the commies when they fancy it. A bit of moral boosting helps to break the blanking routine.

John

All,

Being at arms length I have to rely on "facts". Opinions on AN seem to differ vastly. While this EA report is from 2007 I have to assume it is at least a "trend" in the UK. I spent an hour or so perusing the report, although not in detail.

http://www.freshwaterlife.org/projects/media/projects/images/3/31936_ca_object_representations_media_383_original.pdf

Should I believe gozzer or the EA?

Phone

the place I fish is not a commercial it's the other ones that are and most clubs are commercials with no restaurant

natural stocked still waters are rarer then virgin in Essex night club

you want to think your lady is but really you know she has been over stocked

....or put another way, "I fish natural waters, you fish commercials, he is just a fishmonger beside a mudhole"

The important thing is to enjoy your fishing, wherever you choose to fish, whatever species you are trying to catch, and whatever method you choose to use.

I am happy that so many anglers forsake the rivers for commercial and club lakes, just so long as enough of us fish the rivers to justify our clubs continuing to pay rent.

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

All,

Being at arms length I have to rely on "facts". Opinions on AN seem to differ vastly. While this EA report is from 2007 I have to assume it is at least a "trend" in the UK. I spent an hour or so perusing the report, although not in detail.

http://www.freshwaterlife.org/projects/media/projects/images/3/31936_ca_object_representations_media_383_original.pdf

Should I believe gozzer or the EA?

Phone

I'm sorry phone, but I'm struggling to see the relevance of that survey, and how you seem to think that my views are opposite to the guys findings. It says at the beginning that the views of the survey are those of the author, not the EA.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

....or put another way, "I fish natural waters, you fish commercials, he is just a fishmonger beside a mudhole"

The important thing is to enjoy your fishing, wherever you choose to fish, whatever species you are trying to catch, and whatever method you choose to use.

I am happy that so many anglers forsake the rivers for commercial and club lakes, just so long as enough of us fish the rivers to justify our clubs continuing to pay rent.

If only Dave, if only.

John.

gozzer,

The part of the EA study that says economically, commercials are the best thing since sliced bread for the UK. One example, they, commercials, "drive" the entire angling merchandise market at a reduced point of sale.

Phone