Ban 4 X 4's.

Peter Waller

Go on Ferret, dump those 'orrible 4 X 4's and get one of these:-

http://www.smart.com/smart_uk/smart_uk_start.html

Already booked a two seater for when New & Jan come over ;). They can put one in their luggage when they go back.

http://www.smart.com/-snm-0158026220-11329...pure/highlights

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't have anything against 4*4's, but I'm involved with the repair of L/rover td5's, & having seen a number of them being driven around town & on the inevitable school runs. I just wonder how much research the owners have done into how much money it'll take to put them rightwhen they go wrong! :o

Peter.

The loose lines gone..STRIKE.

I don't know what your bumpers are like Paul, but there nothing like mine. The tube bull bars are made from is, by and large, much narrower and less likely to deform than a bumper and increases the effective damage massively. Not just my opinion BTW, every controlled test done anywhere in the world shows exactly this effect.

Ther is some safety stuff here

http://www.brake.org.uk/index.php?p=267

The interesting bit is if a 4X4 and a small car are in collision you are 12 times more likely to die in the small car than in the 4X4.

and they are trying to persuade people that 4X4s are a bad idea???

Edited by Sportsman

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

Best of both worlds then with a truck that protects the driver but isn't really that dangerous for smaller cars that share the road.

mtruck2.jpg

And a skippy special

mtruck3.jpg

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

- my 18 year old has just bought herself a Fiat Panda 4 X 4 complete with bull bars and I can only laugh at it ! :lol: come on who's idea was this one! The cars only got a 850cc engine - its a joke!

My panda 4x4 was a fantastic little fishing wagon, although it was a 1000cc engine not the 850, it took me across fields and everything, didn't really give it much TLC tho as it only cost me £80 so i didn't really care how long it lasted.

My Lada cossack on the other hand was like a baby to me, i loved it and cherished it and resprayed it in matt black then bounced it all over the place and used it like any 4x4 should be used. :evil:

Sorry but i can't agree to those people who have a 4x4 when they don't need one.

At the end of my street is a school, and when i can't get in or out of my own street due to the amount of 4x4's parked willynilly i get angry, i've even had one woman tell me i'll have to wait to get out of my own driveway while she go's to get her kids!! (thats another gripe with 4x4's you can't "bounce" them out the way)

Its now come to the point where the police have started issuing fines to the drivers as the are blocking a bus route and the main emergency services route to this end of the estate, i have seen ambulances having to mount the path and drive across the grass verges to get past the vehicles (not just 4x4's i must add)

I laughed like mad on tuesday when a woman started crying and going on about how was she going to explain it to her husband because he didn't know she'd "borrowed" his 4x4 (bmw x5) to pop down the school and pick her son up, i found it even funnier because she only lives 2 mins (walking) up the road and probably doesn't understand the damage that can be caused to the engine using it for such short runs

if it can be proven that the 4x4 is needed then yes by all means they should be allowed BUT if its just one of those "i liked the look of it/well my nieghbour had one/ i can't stand to be outdone ect ect" type of purchases then no i don't think they should be allowed.

Edited by Alan Fawcett

TROGG (Alan)

a government is there to serve its people not rule them

Not sure why they called bull bars? I've seen a one ton Piedmontese bull make short work of a landrover with bull bars.

I do find it quite funny that car manufacturers design cars with crumple zones to make them safer for everyone in an accident and then they let you put pieces of solid iron work on the front which limit the effectiveness of the crumple zones.

I just love the 'lets ban something' mentality. If people want 4x4's then let them have them. Sure they don't need them but it's a free society we are in not some dictatorship. Most of the reasons mentioned apply to all vehicles not just 4x4's, it's irresponsible drivers that you should be moaning about. And as for bull bars by all means ask for them to be banned (I must admit I thought they already were).

I do own a 4x4 although it looks just like an estate car. I use mine for shooting and fishing and it quite often goes off road.

Rob.

4 X 4's have there place and have to admit having owned a few. My Skoda Octavia is 4 X 4 and some of the places I have to go through work I really need it. BUT - my 18 year old has just bought herself a Fiat Panda 4 X 4 complete with bull bars and I can only laugh at it ! :lol: come on who's idea was this one! The cars only got a 850cc engine - its a joke!

You cannot judge a 4x4 by the size of its engine. One of the most versatile 4x4s ever built was the Haflinger, built by the Austrian company Steyr-Daimler-Puch. They were built from around the late 1950's and production stopped in 1974. Unlike other 4x4s they were built to be as light as possible. They had a 2 cylinder 650cc engine, front and rear differential locks (so even if only one wheel can find traction you will still move).

They were light enough that 4 men could pick one up and carry it. There are not many places a Haflinger will not go.

For what its worth, I'm against banning 4x4s. I want a ban on people banning things.

Edited by corydoras

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote