They've finally done it.

Gaz51

However I do feel that there should be 'private' smoking clubs.

It would defeat the objective of the legislation; smokers would not be inconvenienced.

What, you didn't think it was for the benefit of non-smokers did you?

Anyway, that's done and dusted, what's next? Alcohol killed 6500 people in 2003 (most recent figures). I think the time has come to ban drinking in pubs. We also need to deal with the growing epidemic of obesity. I think banning pubs from serving food would be a good start. Perhaps also removing all of the furniture and requiring customers to jog on the spot while they consume their vegetable juice drinks?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yyyeeesss, :yeah::yeah: about time.and a £2000 fine to boot i believe for any premise's that break the ban, the lawyers are gonna have a field day with this one :sun::sun:

concentrate for the moment: feel. don't think.

"Perhaps also removing all of the furniture and requiring customers to jog on the spot while they consume their vegetable juice drinks?"

what out of? those glasses in the hands of spot joggers could become a WND due to hundreds of shards should it in the process of spot jogging fly out of the afforesaid joggers now sweaty hand thus inviting americans in which WOULD ball things up ,even this law has far reaching consequences that effect our lives ,i dont mind paying £3 (ok i do) for a pint of mashed veg but having behatted spur wearing americans armed to the teeth shouting yeehaw ,buddy and you mother funner every five minutes could end our pubs now smoke free image.

got no problem with americans we have a tame one in the village but she talks looks and acts funny

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Some of your comments are truer than you think Chester. I heard from my sister-in-law in Scotland, that if you expect a visit from a doctor,health visitor etc, you are expected to refrain from smoking in your own house, for two hours before they come. Whether this applies to workmen I don't know.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

It's the pubs that will loose out, instead of people going to the pub and standing outside to smoke, they will stay at home and drink a beer for nearly a third of the price and when it comes to summer if your not allowed to smoke in the pub garden then more people will have bbq's, invite their friends over and leave the pubs emtpy!

They have banned smoking at my place of work but it has'nt stopped me, i work nights and am the only person on site, i clear up my cigar buts and leave no trace (obviously smoking outside), if they don't like it then they will have to provide cover so that i can have a break every 4 hours.

I tried to give up in january, lasted 15 days on the patch's, they ended up making my arms sore and itchy under the patch and although the cravings had gone you can't substiute a smoke to calm you down when your tempers flared, I lasted 5 months before on will power alone. Tbh i wish they would bann them but they'l only put tax up on something else to compensate :schmoll:

Cheers

<º))))><.·´¯`·.ÐÅѸ.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>

IPB Image

Alcohol killed 6500 people in 2003 (most recent figures).

No Steve, the ABUSE of alcohol did that, whereas using cigarettes exactly as intended, kills over 100,000 in the UK every year.

Having watched someone I love die of lung cancer, I'm happy with the ban. It's just a shame it took so long.

And on the eighth day God created carp fishing...and he saw that it was pukka.

...if they don't like it then they will have to provide cover so that i can have a break every 4 hours.

Purely out of interest, why would they?

I work in a non-smoking environment and the firm's insurance policy is costed accordingly. Breaking the no-smoking rule is considered gross misconduct - because it compromises the entire insurance cover - and anyone doing it risks dismissal.

Is smoking really that important to you, DJM?

And on the eighth day God created carp fishing...and he saw that it was pukka.

Some of your comments are truer than you think Chester. I heard from my sister-in-law in Scotland, that if you expect a visit from a doctor,health visitor etc, you are expected to refrain from smoking in your own house, for two hours before they come. Whether this applies to workmen I don't know.

yes it applies to any 'public sector worker' be it health or council guy to repair your 'bits'.

scrabster survivor and official loony

www.tugmistress.co.uk

Life can't get better than this!

www.save-our-sharks.org

No Steve, the ABUSE of alcohol did that, whereas using cigarettes exactly as intended, kills over 100,000 in the UK every year.

Looks to me as if the people abusing alcohol pick the glass up and pour it down their neck, same as everyone else and just as the manufacturers intended. The pros and cons of smoking in pubs are irrelevant now, the decision has been made. A precedent has been set concerning the balance of rights between the state, the individual and society. Let's accept that and move on.

We've established that public drug-taking which causes nuisance and risk of injury and death to non-participants should be banned. We've also established that it's a good thing for the state to use the law for an individual's own good. These things were established by a large parliamentary majority.

The case for banning public consumption of alcohol on public health grounds is clear. Additionally, a great many people do not go to pubs because they don't like being around drunk people. By banning alcohol in pubs these people will be able to enjoy a nice cup of tea and perhaps a scone or a teacake with their friends. It will create a much more healthy and wholesome child-friendly environment for families. There will be no public drunken violence, no vomit in the streets, no noise nuisance for neighbours.

OK, that's all written very much tongue in cheek. I object to this legislation in principle. I find it illiberal. If consenting adults wish to gather together and consume alcohol and tobacco, I don't see that it is any business of the state. The only intervention I would have made would be to ban non-smoking areas so that pubs were forced to choose to be either smoking or non-smoking throughout. Having a non-smoking area in a pub is like having a non-p*ssing area in a swimming pool.

in the interest of public health makes me laugh, well i welcome the day they ban eating in pubs, maybe if they stoped serving to meals for a £5 and sunday dinners in pubs we wouldnt have such a lardy problem.

May be pub lunchers would be forced to actually "cook" something for themselfs and find out a bit about what there eating. While we're there lets ban all chipshops, takeaways and dialapizzas, they can be good for your health and the smell of grease from those places is discusting, theres nothing worse than your clothes stinking of grease and fat when you come out of a pub from the smell from the deep fat frier wafting over you hard earned pint, just so some fatties can have a cheep fix of lard and get back home to sit and chocolate in front of the telly. Yes im p*ssed off with this ban for that simple reason i hate the smell of fat and grease so i stay out of the places that serve food, simple. so whats the fuss about keeping out of private members clubs that allow smoking.

Never test the depth of water with both feet.

Stuff work go fishing.