Is This A Roach?

Elton

Ide and orfe are the same species, leuciscus idus.

Well I didnt know that! I always thought orfe were of the carp family but when I think of the body shape of both Ide and Orfe..... I presume that an Orfe is just a selectively bred ornemental strain of the natural Ide then?

That confirms (or should I say re instates) my belief that that might be the probable answer (all though the Rudd issue is still quite plausable!).The waters I was reffering to have a lot of both Ide/Crucian crosses and Roach/Ide crosses.Must admit though that the Ide/roach crosses havnt had the vivid colours of the fish in question.In fact a lot paler than a true roach even but that could be down purely to the "washed out" look a lot of fish in muddy/coloured commercials have.

Peter,the water that has the most examples of roach/ide crosses is Astwood Bank Fishery in the Midlands.A few hours maggot bashing there would clearly show you that Ide can hybridise with both crucian and roach.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a nice fish but definitely not a pure Roach (imo).

The caudal and dorsal are not red in roach but greyish.

There is a distinct hump behind the dorsal which is very Breamy, (the hump not the dorsal), I've not noticed that before on big Roach. (see pic below)

The two tone effect is also Breamy as noted by Mark Barrett.

The mouth doesn't really look right to me for Roach in any of the pics except maybe one.

Just for comparison, here's one I caught earlier, and to the best of my knowledge it's a true Roach ;)

roach305filteredep9.jpg

You don't look very pleased with it. Were you hoping for a bigger one? ;)

www.myspace.com/boozlebear

You don't look very pleased with it. Were you hoping for a bigger one? ;)

I have an unhappy face; it's been commented on more times than I care to remember, one of these days I will just thump someone who tells me to cheer up.

Self taken photos don't help either, (and that was before digital).

I'm always smiling on the inside. ;)

hello again lads just heard there are NO rudd in the water where i caught the fish

...and there are reputed to be NO roach in the water where I caught the fish illustrated in Post 8

Very difficult to prove the absence of a fish just 'cos no-one's caught any :unsure:

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

...and there are reputed to be NO roach in the water where I caught the fish illustrated in Post 8

Very difficult to prove the absence of a fish just 'cos no-one's caught any :unsure:

The plot thickens :nerd:

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.

i agree totally very possible there are rudd in there and even bream, but the water has been there for hundreds of years with no reports of rudd bream being caught. but the plot thickens as the last guy said lol. :wallbash:

Well I didnt know that! I always thought orfe were of the carp family....
You always thought right. Orfe are Cyprinidae and therefor part of the carp 'family'. ColinW is also correct ide/orfe/Leuciscus idus are all the same thing.

http://www.fishbase.org/Summary/SpeciesSummary.php?id=2801

Hi Cory, Ahhh, Fintry, spent many a good night in the Clachan, or the Inn...:)

There are Bream in various venues in Scotland now, Strathclyde park is one, or so i'm reliably informed...:):).

Smashing fish Colin.....:):)

I have a cousin who used to pull pints at the Clachan, she may still do, I am not sure.

Strathclyde Park would not surprise me. Are they (bream) north of the Tay yet?

Edited by corydoras

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

Orfe and Ide are the same fish .

And they rarely do interbreed with another fish because they are spawing early

at low water temparature [ march and april at 14 C water temp ]

But i think that the fish that Vagebond hold a ide is

Gr jerry

And as finishing touch

god created the dutch

But i think that the fish that Vagebond hold a ide is

No way - ide/orfe have far more scales than that

Roach and rudd - lateral scale count around 45

Ide/orfe have a lateral scale count of 56 to 60

As soon as you catch an orfe you can see it has lots of small scales

tanyardorfedb8.jpg

This an orfe is :):)

Edited by Vagabond

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...