Who Ruined Britain

WHAT...........

A thread remaining 'on topic'

Is this a first for AN?

:rolleyes:

No. Sometimes I make a new thread, such as an announcement, and then immediately lock it. Some of those stay on topic :D

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why aren't the moderates in your own country screaming blue murder at the likes of Fred Phelps, The Discovery Institute and those crazy 'christian' sects who would rather their children died than take them to a doctor. Why is it left to the FFRF and the ACLU?

Moderates are, by definition, moderate and inclined to tolerate extreme views on both sides even if they/we disagree with those views. That said, I do not pretend to be able to speak for any moderate other than me.

I don't much care for fanatics regardless of what their particular cause is but unless they are trying to harm me or mine (which includes forcing me to follow their beliefs), I'm inclined to let them be.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Thanks, Chesters. I had understood you to be saying earlier that Ellel expected people to pay thousands of pounds before they would pray for their healing, and I felt this was libellous. You have now quoted their literature and made it clear that they do nothing of the sort - prayer for healing is free, though they ask for a voluntary donation towards the cost of accommodation etc. That's what I would expect, and fits in with my personal experience of them.

got no problem with healing mr tench but i do get angry its all down to demons ,yes in the dark ages being possessed would be excepted by illiterate uneducated peons frightened to death by the threats from the church but expecting people in the 21st century to fall for this crap merely because the healer says you are possessed is bordering on madness or simple manipulation ,in africa maybe in leafy surrey certainly not.

if people are desperate or mentally ill (they must be to call on religion and its sordid history to sort them out) telling them they are possessed will not help their case ,casting them out with all its pretend mumbo jumbo is bordering on cult status brain washing.this person (you know who i mean) needs serious psychiatric(perhaps 20 years in bedlam) help not worshipping as gods mouthpiece.

if our friend wishes to put me right on his methods he can use Elton to PM me and he can explain face to face how it works he's not far away ,seems totally convinced he is right but then other types of mentally ill people also think everyone else is wrong bar them.if he can get his mate god to give me a sign (a real one not a coincidence) i'l retract every damn word i say .if god exists and see's all then no-doubt he will tip him off about this offer ,a day will do cant have him pretending god tipped him off when he stumbles over this post in a search engine somewhere :rolleyes: no offer by this time tomorrow proves either god doesnt exist ,our friend hasn't got gods ear or he's afraid to put his belief on the line or he just doesn't care! going by the lists of "no no's" i posted here in the past i guess his "checklist" ensures only a small % of people that fit his category (probably 35 live with mum ,never saw a girl and read nothing and not own a telly and think top of the pops is a posh breakfast cereal! ) thus not able to judge for themselves and except anything as fact or are inmates of "care in the community" are excepted into his fold.

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

If we have no purpose, or there is no 'Grand Plan', then whatever we think we achieve, means nothing, other than what we 'believe' it means.

John.

OK, let's turn the question around. Assuming that the way of life followed by non-believers has no purpose or meaning(other than attempting to be "happy" and to leave behind something worthwhile that might make succeeding generations "happy"), what is the purpose or meaning of life according to religious believers?

It appears to involve a conviction that everlasting life after bodily death is i) possible ii) desirable and iii) achievable by following a particular code of behaviour.

There is also (often) some conception of the world as being an essentially sinful place, to be eventually cleansed by the dramatic intervention of a deity, in the form of fire, flood, or other apocalyptic event, after which, "true believers" (the only ones to survive) will inherit the earth.

Then what? Does the whole weary cycle start over again? If that's the Grand Plan, I think I prefer the alternative version. ;)

Religion or no, a really deep recession or nuclear accident or meteor strike might have the effect of sending us back to a state where we have about as much negative impact on the planet as those chimps and orangs. Then we'd have a purpose alright - worrying about day-to-day survival! :D

Then what? Does the whole weary cycle start over again? If that's the Grand Plan, I think I prefer the alternative version. ;)

Don't ask me Davy, I'm just playing 'Devils Advocate' by offsetting the anti religious posts. :D

(Though if I don't believe in God Then I can't believe in the Devil, so how can I play his advocate? :unsure: )

The whole point of my 'alternative' was to say that I can understand some people needing to believe in a reason for being here. I don't share that belief, but I feel that as science unfolds the picture, we become more and more insignificant in stature.

Scientists can produce theories, facts etc, until they are blue in the face. What would really satisfy most people deep down is the answer to ...why?

They might not like the answer, (if there is one) but it doesn't stop them searching for it.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

under medical conditions most of "religions" "phenomena" can be reproduced ,there is a god zone in your brain which can be stimulated ,some people have large zones or small ones (i guess mines tiny ,zealots huge).

seeing a white light in near death is nothing more than a part of the brain getting deprived of oxygen ,those having visions or hearing gods words are probably having a brain malfunction not whisperings or glimpses of a deity.(certainly admitting you hear voices is a cause of alarm ,gods one though seems ok :wacko: )

god is in your head not heaven ;)

theres also genetical abnormalities where people are programmed at birth to follow a particular path ,i am definitely succeptable (sp?) to nicotine but despite having had a huge exposure to alcohol and drugs i am not hooked on either (unfortunately not the case of a couple of old mates who err got exposed at the same time as me) .

i'm not genetically gay (or even pretending to be) nor anything else as far as i know ,perhaps following deities or believing people is genetic just as some a genetically stupid or gullible or just too lazy to find a path for themselves but let others guide them down one? even clumsinesses is genetic i have encountered genuinely clumsy people :D

in the future no doubt all these brain malfunctions are fixed and gene reprogramming will be common place ,hopefully for all our sakes the god zone is the first mankind is better of without it!

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

under medical conditions most of "religions" "phenomena" can be reproduced ,there is a god zone in your brain which can be stimulated ,some people have large zones or small ones (i guess mines tiny ,zealots huge).

Ah, yes - I've heard of that - isn't it called the G Spot? :blink:

Scientists can produce theories, facts etc, until they are blue in the face. What would really satisfy most people deep down is the answer to ...why?

Dunno and don't care, John - I'm happy being insignificant. :D

Ah, yes - I've heard of that - isn't it called the G Spot? :blink:

Dunno and don't care, John - I'm happy being insignificant. :D

nooo the g-spot is heaven to girlies but its existance is just as much contested :D

the big difference though is wars are rarely fought over its belief or not that it exists or "my" g-spots better than yours :lol:

Edited by chesters1

nooo the g-spot is heaven to girlies but its existance is just as much contested :D

Yeah but I've read that the biggest erotic zone is the brain so the G Spot must be in there somewhere....

perhaps its in women a chocolate zone :D in men the smell of engine oil zone