Skate mutilation

Davy Holt

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SandTiger:

I heard somewhere that in lot of European countries you have to take a basic competence test before you can fish. Not sure how accurate that info is but I can't see anything wrong with it?

I know it is required by law in Germany, I will try and find out.

Alan

ANMC Founder Member. . www.the-lounge.org.uk/valley/

Hi Davy,

no I can’t find that article anywhere. I’ve been back through fishing magazines I’ve got stored away...I’ve got them back to 1994...so it must have been before that!...Seems like I read it just yesterday, you know how time flies!!! I think your pics were so close to the article that it instantly jogged my memory...normally I’ve got a memory like a goldfish!... :D

Has anybody tested the memory of skate!?...hopefully they’ve got a goldfish-like memory to forget ill treatment like this!

I’ll keep looking, I’d be happy if I could remember which magazine it was...I have bought so many...it’s like a addiction...if I can’t get out to fish I have to be reading about somebody else fishing...AN is saving me £30 a month in magazines!!!...although I do subscribe to a couple so they still drop through the letter box! :D

Anyhow Titelines for now,

Art :)

I agree with Norrie, Artfulfisher is right. It seems the only "rational" explanation of why the wounds were made.

The only redeeming feature of the actions of this lowlife is that the fish was not brought ashore as a "trophy" but was returned, has recovered and is still part of the breeding stock.

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Hiya,

Art.. the quickest re capture we've had is around 40 min after release, not bad considering the fish was caught in 350' of water, gaffed weighed & measured, tagged and then released :)

Another interesting one was when Vagabond & Norma were out with me. Normal lost a fish when the line snapped for no reason with the fish only about 40' below the boat. Norma re set up her gear, re baited and dropped it back down to the bottom 400' below a short while later she had another hookup and managed to get the fish to the boat. Low and behold her lost trace & bait was still in the corner of the skates mouth :)

So really they either have a very short memory or are not too bothered about being caught :)

[ 08. September 2004, 01:32 PM: Message edited by: Davy Holt ]

Davy

"Skate Anglers Have Bigger Tackle"

Davy Holt:

Hiya,

So really they either have a very short memory or are not too bothered about being caught :)

Or haven't yet made the connection between eating something with metal and string attached, and taking a trip to the surface!

East Hampshire Boat Anglers www.boat-angling.co.uk

i'm off to oban tomorrow for a bit of fun with the big girls (skate you dirty minded lot) and this thread has has helped me solve my problem of getting a skate out of the boat, which can be harder than getting it in, i'll just carve a couple of handgrips into their cheeks and roberta's yer auntie

Unbearable, isn't it? The suffering of strangers, the agony of friends. There is a secret song at the center of the world, and its sound is like razors through flesh.

WalkingPinhead.gif

Hiya,

Les het yerself a 6' x 6' bit of trawler netting and yer problem are solved, tis a doddle to move them with it :)

mind you ... you still have to be able to catch them first :P

[ 08. September 2004, 10:16 PM: Message edited by: Davy Holt ]

Davy

"Skate Anglers Have Bigger Tackle"