Not the man the press would have you believe he is.

Ken L

All,

It is good we instill "trust" in our children. At its most general ‘faith’ means much the same as ‘trust’. Like it or not we teach religion (faith).

It always escapes me why this fundamental truth is left out of the equation. I can't help but agree with Steve. This topic is about judging others. I, for one, don't have that introspect. I just "shoot my best stick" and have faith I done right by by children.

Phone

• Like 1

No it isn't either shocking, or confusing if said in the right way. I'll hark back to my first post though, and say I would insist on a thorough vetting of anyone teaching this class, and maybe even insist on more than one adult be present. Call me a cynic, but I do believe that although the majority would teach acceptance, there are others that would use it as a platform to further an agenda.

I still don't see why a child of such a young age, who just accepts what they see around them, should have this brought to their attention, they will ask questions when they are ready.

As to religious intolerance, then all preachers of hate should be brought to task, regardless of their particular belief. We are supposed to have laws banning the preaching of hate, but we are too afraid to act on them, in some cases. If a parent is teaching hate to a child then they are guilty of a 'hate crime' and should be punished, the same for a preacher, or teacher. Why should a very young child bear the burden of choosing between parents, and what they are taught in class? If a child is in physical danger, then they are taken from the parents, how is 'brainwashing' a child to hate, any different.

John.

Primary school teachers are vetted already, John - what exactly do you want to check for that isn't already checked? And what agenda are you worried that they might further? They aren't going to turn the kids gay, if that's what you're worried about. They are or they aren't.

I think you might get some pushback if you try to censor which bits of the Bible or Koran parents are allowed to read to their kids at home. Maybe a bit more than we're getting for offering the view of modern society.

Primary school teachers are vetted already, John - what exactly do you want to check for that isn't already checked? And what agenda are you worried that they might further? They aren't going to turn the kids gay, if that's what you're worried about. They are or they aren't.

I think you might get some pushback if you try to censor which bits of the Bible or Koran parents are allowed to read to their kids at home. Maybe a bit more than we're getting for offering the view of modern society.

Of course I'm not saying they're going to turn the kids gay, but kids especially the age group I'm talking about, are open to grooming. There have been enough 'vetted' teachers that have 'crossed the line', to cast some doubt on effectiveness of the process. And before anyone says it, I don't think all gay people are paedophiles, sex mad predators, but being gay doesn't exclude some of them from being so, just as being straight doesn't.

I think that we agree on most of what we are discussing, it's just the age thing that worries me. I want kids to be kids, but society seems to be taking that away from them, as many parents led by 'celebs' and advertising, fall inline with what's considered 'in'. Adding another thing to their lives before they are ready just seems wrong to me.

Then there's, how far does it go, once the ball starts rolling? We've already got the nutters who say we should ask a toddlers permission before changing it's sh*tty nappy!

If the god botherers get upset, then tough. The Bible has changed significantly over the centuries, mainly to fit in with the society of the day. I don't know, but would guess that the Koran has been manipulated to fit the thoughts of those that preach it, as and when it suited.

John.

Edited by gozzer

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

If the god botherers get upset, then tough. The Bible has changed significantly over the centuries, mainly to fit in with the society of the day. I don't know, but would guess that the Koran has been manipulated to fit the thoughts of those that preach it, as and when it suited.

John.

I'd love for you to tell me what you mean by that. Most Christians I know use the KGV version of the Holy Bible or the Catholic Vulgate. The KGV Version has not changed since 1611 and the Vulgate has not changed much since the Council of Trent in 1563.

Christianity may have been dragged screaming and kicking into more modern times, but as far as I am aware the scripture has not changed one jot.

Edited by corydoras

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

You've totally ignored the questions, either by ignorance or design, I suspect the latter. But it's of no consequence. I was just trying to understand you more, perhaps it's better that I don't.

John.

What question have I igored John? I'd like to put that straight.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!

I think all of this needs to be done sensitively in an age-appropriate way. I suspect that a lot of people are getting angry about what they assume is being taught rather than what is being taught.

A lot of this amounts to reading books like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIm_H01Z6Ss

or this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tiu5tvEv70I

Actually, they're more like this.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

You are getting more like a Christian fundy by the day Ken.

And you are becoming more and more dependant on ad-hominem attacks.

• Like 1

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

I'd love for you to tell me what you mean by that. Most Christians I know use the KGV version of the Holy Bible or the Catholic Vulgate. The KGV Version has not changed since 1611 and the Vulgate has not changed much since the Council of Trent in 1563.

Christianity may have been dragged screaming and kicking into more modern times, but as far as I am aware the scripture has not changed one jot.

You know more about religion than I care to do, I will submit to your greater knowledge of the Bible.

One question, that may well show my ignorance, I've never heard of the KGV version which one is it?

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John