Shooting bears

Worms

With a lot of the posters here showing a lot of indignation over the video, the question has to be asked: Have you ever watched a "how to" video/DVD on fishing, and would you still have watched it and gone fishing if we didn't return our fish? How many of us have accidently killed a fish and reasoned that it was an accident and left it at that?

With the debate still going on about us catching fish and returning them, are we overreacting because of Pretty Extreme Territorial Ants?

Edited by kleinboet

5460c629-1c4a-480e-b4a4-8faa59fff7d.jpg

fishing is nature's medical prescription

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In many countries black bear are culled by licence (much as deer are in the UK) and their management is necessary.

By selling the licences the local Authority raise revenues for the local community.

The meat is not wasted, I have eaten black bear and it is a strong, tasty meat.

Assuming that the people that visit this Forum go fishing (although I wonder sometimes if any of them leave their computers), it might be a bit hypocritical to condemn the humane killing of a creature.

Does a bear have more rights than a mackerel ?

"I gotta go where its warm, I gotta fly to saint somewhere "

That's an interesting question, unfortunately I don't have an answer.

But I'd like to know if a cat or dog has more 'rights' than a bear?

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Assuming that the people that visit this Forum go fishing (although I wonder sometimes if any of them leave their computers), it might be a bit hypocritical to condemn the humane killing of a creature.

Would you approve of killing mackerel and throwing them up the beach to rot?

I don't think hunting without good reason is the same as fishing. If I had to kill every fish I caught (or if catching a fish were necessarily lethal), I wouldn't fish for species that I couldn't eat, and I wouldn't catch more than I could use. I certainly wouldn't kill a fish to stick it in a glass case, and doing so is not something I approve of. I would shoot an animal for meat, I wouldn't shoot one for a trophy.

Those are my beliefs. The bear hunters have their own. We can live and let live without each having to agree on whether what the other does is right. Disapproving of something is not the same as believing that something should not be allowed.

I would shoot an animal for meat, I wouldn't shoot one for a trophy.

Those are my beliefs. The bear hunters have their own.

...but it is not only beliefs, there are laws also.

My last Texas Fishing and Hunting Guide (which you get free when you buy a licence) states that it is an offence in law to waste game. (that means both mammals and fish that are classed as "game")

ie you shoot it, you eat it. Similar (if not exactly the same) laws operate in other USA states, and in Canada also - as the original poster stated. One or two caveats, but the principle is the same.

Some posters (not you Steve) seem oblivious to the fact that there are well-run and well-researched fishing and hunting controls in the USA and Canada - enforced by rangers who carry sidearms. I often feel we could do with such an approach here.

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

... I often feel we could do with such an approach here.
The equivalent of our water bailiffs are armed and have full powers of arrest in France too.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

I don't think hunting without good reason is the same as fishing. If I had to kill every fish I caught (or if catching a fish were necessarily lethal), I wouldn't fish for species that I couldn't eat, and I wouldn't catch more than I could use. I certainly wouldn't kill a fish to stick it in a glass case, and doing so is not something I approve of. I would shoot an animal for meat, I wouldn't shoot one for a trophy.

Those are my beliefs. The bear hunters have their own. We can live and let live without each having to agree on whether what the other does is right. Disapproving of something is not the same as believing that something should not be allowed.

If somebody told me that the bear was definitely left to rot in the trees and no use was made of its death, then I would condemn the shooting.

I agree that just because we don't want to do something, we shouldn't condemn those that lawfully carry out that activity.

Don't get me started on squash.................. :)

"I gotta go where its warm, I gotta fly to saint somewhere "

The original poster Kepac? has stated here that the bear meat was/is used and eaten...sausages and steaks. By law as part of the license the meat must be used. Therefor what is the problem? They eat horse and donkey meat on the continent. Jews and Muslims cannot understand gentiles eating pork... either way attacking others for doing things like hunting bears is still over the top. If ity was atrophy deer would it be different? After all, the royals do that all the time...there are just no bears left in scotland or the rest of the UK, they were hunted out of existance.

IF YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE THE BEST

Don't seek a second opinion.

http://www.anglingireland.info

Fish Paintings

Linocut fishy prints..

The equivalent of our water bailiffs are armed and have full powers of arrest in France too.

bailiffs in the past here had considerable power but they only existed for game fish and ofcourse the land owners that fished for them.

course fishing bailiffs do nothing more than collect numbers and provide cheap labour

the EA in reality dont have bailiffs just tax enforcers :D

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson