Another mass murder

Andrew

There are plenty of people (myself included) who would disagree with your statement that no-one in their right mind hunts with a handgun, todays large bore handguns (in calibres like .454 casull, .475 linebaugh .500 linebaugh and .500 S&W) have been used to take all forms of game up to and including elephant.

What's their accurate range? It sounds more like a macho thing than a regular hunting technique. I don't have any doubt that people do it, but the way I see it, much of the satisfaction comes from a clean kill; can you really get close enough with a handgun to be sure of that on a regular basis?

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed."

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I expect the nra will campaign for 5 year olds to get guns for their own" protection " :rolleyes:

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Phone. As a citizen, how do you see the reasoning behind handgun ownership in the US. If you got into a conversation with a gun nut, what would be their angle?
I can answer that question and I'm not an American. They would simply quote the 2nd Amendment to you
A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
Followed by the usual "guns don't kill people, people kill people". Edited by corydoras

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

I can answer that question and I'm not an American. They would simply quote the 2nd Amendment to you Followed by the usual "guns don't kill people, people kill people".

There must be someone over there who'll offer up an opinion without hiding behind the usual claptrap, Cory. What do the guys at coffee have to say, Phone?

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed."

There must be someone over there who'll offer up an opinion without hiding behind the usual claptrap, Cory. What do the guys at coffee have to say, Phone?
You don't understand. That's their constitutional right, it's not "claptrap".

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

rob,

I am reticent to attach such a contentious public dispute concerning a matter of opinion about guns to this thread. No matter how trite is sounds I BELIEVE, the addage guns don't kill.

Just me, without aid of the 'experts' let me say those children are lost to posterity not because of a gun but rather because for the MENTALLY ILL we

Treat these diagnosis with respect and dignity.

We insure they have their privacy protected

We insure they receive culturally appropriate services (drugs - among other appropriate services)

We insure they understand available treatment options and all the alternatives to going to jail.

We insure they receive care that does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, or type of illness.

For every gun in America there are 15 prescription medications for mental illness refilled monthly.

They too can buy a gun.

Phone

So, why did those children have to die?

Guns are a different thread.

Can't stop it! We already have two and a half guns for every citizen - man, woman and child

For every gun in America there are 15 prescription medications for mental illness refilled monthly.

There's something not right about those figures Phone, that mounts up to 37.5 prescriptions issued monthly for every citizen and that's just for mental illness.

There's something not right about those figures Phone, that mounts up to 37.5 prescriptions issued monthly for every citizen and that's just for mental illness.

Ah but you are forgetting that America leads the world in the medicalisation of complex social problems - and in the development and marketing of the drugs to "fix" them.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

rob,

I am reticent to attach such a contentious public dispute concerning a matter of opinion about guns to this thread. No matter how trite is sounds I BELIEVE, the addage guns don't kill.

Just me, without aid of the 'experts' let me say those children are lost to posterity not because of a gun but rather because for the MENTALLY ILL we

Treat these diagnosis with respect and dignity.

We insure they have their privacy protected

We insure they receive culturally appropriate services (drugs - among other appropriate services)

We insure they understand available treatment options and all the alternatives to going to jail.

We insure they receive care that does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, or type of illness.

They too can buy a gun.

Phone

So, why did those children have to die?

Guns are a different thread.

I think I have spotted the problem ;)

I suppose we should also reflect on the fact that the shooter did not use his own, legally acquired guns, he stole his mother's guns before shooting her in the head and then going to the school.

Why his mother owned an assault rifle is another matter.

To digress slightly there have been a few recent programs on TV about "preppers" These are people who believe the end of organised civilisation is imminent and are preparing for the breakdown in government.

The US based preparations seemed to consist of buying more guns. The UK preparations seemed to consist of storing more food.

Edited by Sportsman

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/